Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Paradox Lost
In This Twilight

quote:
Originally posted by Paradox Lost
Upload from Digweed's set in Leeds last night- anyone got an ID for the first and second tracks?

I haven't heard anything beyond this 15 minute segment, but this by all measures sounds like the exact opposite of how SYSTEM-J described his particular night out with Diggers:

In case anyone was wondering, the first track was ID'd in the comments as Mongo- Planet Mongo (Alan Fitzpatrick remix). Sounds fine in my headphones, but how massive this must have this sounded on the floor.

Old Post Sep-29-2017 01:38  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for Paradox Lost Click here to Send Paradox Lost a Private Message Add Paradox Lost to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Went to a really shit giant warehouse party in Birmingham on Friday. 3,000 capacity mega-venue. The line-up was decent on paper - Cristoph, Kolsch, Steve Lawler and, um, Richy Ahmed - but it turned out to be exactly as bad as these super events always are. Cristoph was on stupidly early (8pm!) so we totally missed his set. Kolsch did a decent job of going from warm-up to big room Kolsch fare, then Lawler played a set full of stupid, lazy tech house breakdowns. Richy Ahmed was so wretchedly boring I'm staggering anyone would willingly pay to watch him play records. The crowd was full of clueless 20 year olds and the local unknowns playing in the other rooms were too shit to warrant describing.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Oct-02-2017 12:33  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

quote:
Originally posted by Paradox Lost
In case anyone was wondering, the first track was ID'd in the comments as Mongo- Planet Mongo (Alan Fitzpatrick remix). Sounds fine in my headphones, but how massive this must have this sounded on the floor.

that first track is lovely

Old Post Oct-02-2017 15:31  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

That track is in my newest mix.

Old Post Oct-02-2017 17:23  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

So, a little re-cap of ADE. I was there for five days with my girlfriend and caught something every day, even if it was only a free pop-up event. There were two main parties we went to in Amsterdam, though. The first was the Sudbeat x Soundgarden showcase at Panama on Friday night, with a 9 hour B2B from Cattaneo and Nick Warren and a tasty second room line-up including Cid Inc, D-Nox and Interaxxis. That was my party. Then, more to my girlfriend's taste, we did the Kompakt label night on Saturday, organised by mega-promoters DGTL.

What a contrast between nights! The Cattaneo and Warren night was basically me doing one last prog-out for the year. It’s the third time I’ve seen Cattaneo B2B this year, and the second time with Warren. As he never plays in the UK except at the Ministry in London (which me and my mates are sick of), I won’t be seeing him again for quite some time. His B2B with Warren in London in April was one of my favourite nights of the year, and 9 hours of them was too good to miss. We got there nice and early, whilst Graziano Raffa was still warming up the main room. Panama is a cool club, just about as big as I like a club. I’d guess the capacity of the main room was around 1500, with a balcony and tiered perimeter to the dancefloor creating a nicely atmospheric rave pit with a booming high ceiling and fancy light show. The sound wasn’t as good as The Box at Ministry, and at times just didn’t really feel loud enough, but towards the end of the night I found a sweet spot for it.

In all honesty, Cattaneo and Warren were pretty sluggish off the mark. We’d eaten a big meal only a few hours before, which probably added to the slightly ponderous feel of the night. They were playing solid enough atmospheric fare, but the flow between them was unspectacular and my girlfriend was a little restless. At 3am it still didn’t feel genuinely peak time, so we absconded to the second room to see D-Nox followed by Cid Inc. As often is the case, the second room had so much more energy than the first. D-Nox did his marching proggy-techno thing at a smaller, second-room scale, with more of a “party” feel than anything big on skyscraping atmospherics. Cid Inc was the real revelation. He was playing a mixture of plenty of his own productions along with tunes very similar in style – that punchy techy end of prog with heavily compressed basslines. I was worried he’d be a bit too purist, as that clinical tech-prog sometimes feels, but actually it was really driving and also oddly groovy. Tunes of his like Roihu and the remix of Dousk – Whisper Unit worked really well in the smaller space, and we enjoyed it so much we stayed in there until 5.30am when the room closed.

Back to the main room, and Warren and Cattaneo were finally getting to the business end. My girlfriend was flagging badly at this point but the main room had emptied out slightly and I found a magnificent position directly in eye-line with the DJs at the other end of the dancefloor, giving me a brilliant view of the whole sea of people and also a raised rampart which caught the bass resonance nicely. I was elevated slightly above the crowd but still felt part of the action. And I have to say, the last 90 minutes of their set were beyond sublime. Driving, growling monsters, huge skin-tingling breakdowns… it was basically dance music as I love it, and from that position, staring across the crowd, it seemed in my slightly hazy mind to be exactly as I’d always imagined clubbing as a spotty teenager reading the inlays of those old Euphoria trance compilations.

The crowd, for their part, were brilliant too. The club was still 90% full at 7.30am and every big tune got a humungous reaction. It felt like every hardcore prog fan in Europe had descended on one club. It wasn’t a consistently great night, but the last hour or two were quite simply as good as clubbing gets.

Now, at this point I was half-tempted to carry on into the afternoon and go to Lee Burridge’s ADID party, but that would have murdered me long before the Kompakt night started. So we regrouped that evening and got the NDSM ferry across to the docklands to the most humungous warehouse I’ve ever seen. The ceiling must have been about 25m high, no joke. All the signs were of a commercially-minded mega-arena event, and so it proved. 7.00€ for a locker, 2.90€ for a bottle of water. Merchandise stands and food trucks. A crowd completely opposite to the previous night’s, mostly comprised of trendy Dutch locals who spent more time jabbing their phones and chattering than dancing. And music that was mostly pure self-indulgent dogshit.

The truly enormous main room was mostly host to live acts like Gui Boratto and Weval, and Apparat playing the most wanky DJ set I’ve ever heard. Very little in the way of thumping beats or grooves. It was more of a giant electronic live gig than a club night. Needing some energy, we tried to stick to the second room. Tobias Thomas did a slick warm-up set of trippy techno, and then Roman Flugel came on the decks at 1am on absolute fire. The first 45 minutes were as good as I’ve heard anyone DJ all year. He was playing in signature leftfield German techno style, but more banging and driving than I knew hm capable of. When this kind of music fuses its innovative sound palettes and structures with proper rave energy it’s undeniably brilliant. However, after this storming start he eased off the gas and became increasingly noodly and oddball. He finished on one last techno banger, and that was the last good tune I heard all night.

Danny Daze has reserved a special place on my shit-list for what followed. With Apparat jerking off all over the decks in the other room, it fell to Daze to provide a techno contrast. And what he did was pure angry teenager “challenging” dark techno dross. Weird rhythms, off-beats, silly droning sounds, laser splashes. Anything except an ounce of groove. We found ourselves trapped in the docklands for two hours with nothing, nothing to dance to. By the time Michael Mayer and Patrice Baumel emerged to close the main room, our buzz was long gone and tiredness was setting in hard. When they decided to mark the occasion with their crap tribute to dark dystopian Berliner techno, we’d had enough. It was pissing it down with freezing cold rain outside and took an hour to get home. I’ve now returned from the Netherlands with a horrible head-cold for my troubles. If only we’d seen sense, sacked off Kompakt, and gone to Lee Burridge instead.

As a side-note, for anyone curious about ADE, it was an amazing experience. Even living in a fairly busy clubbing city, the “dance music industry” often feels like a travelling roadshow that only occasionally stops by for a party. During ADE you really are at the heart of the scene for a week. You can barely walk down a street without seeing a name like Nina Kravitz DJing on the radio through a studio window, or wander into Ritchie Hawtin doing a free outdoor party in a city square. The city is super-liberal and the friendliest, most open-minded place for a giant mashed-up party. As I learned the hard way, some of the mega parties are as soulless and joyless as they are everywhere in the world, but the smaller parties are things of beauty, and the number of mouth-watering line-ups in such a short space of time is surely unrivalled anywhere else on the planet. I’m already planning to go back next year, and this time holding off buying any tickets for anything until All Day I Dream gets announced. Don’t wait so long next time Burridge, you bald-headed bastard!

Last edited by SYSTEM-J on Oct-27-2017 at 12:08

Old Post Oct-25-2017 16:47  England
OrangestO
–30–

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
So, a little re-cap of ADE. I was there for five days with my girlfriend and caught something every day, even if it was only a free pop-up event. There were two main parties we went to in Amsterdam, though. The first was the Sudbeat x Soundgarden showcase at Panama on Friday night, with a 9 hour B2B from Cattaneo and Nick Warren and a tasty second room line-up including Cid Inc, D-Nox and Interaxxis. That was my party. Then more to my girlfriend's taste, we did the Kompakt label night on Saturday, organised by mega-promoters DGTL.

What a contrast between nights! The Cattaneo and Warren night was basically me doing one last prog-out for the year. It’s the third time I’ve seen Cattaneo B2B this year, and the second time with Warren. As he never plays in the UK except at the Ministry in London (which me and my mates are sick of), I won’t be seeing him again for quite some time. His B2B with Warren in London in April was one of my favourite nights of the year, and 9 hours of them was too good to miss. We got there nice and early, whilst Graziano Raffa was still warming up the main room. Panama is a cool club, just about as big as I like a club. I’d guess the capacity of the main room was around 1500, with a balcony and tiered perimeter to the dancefloor creating a nicely atmospheric rave pit with a booming high ceiling and fancy light show. The sound wasn’t as good as The Box at Ministry, and at times just didn’t really feel loud enough, but towards the end of the night I found a sweet spot for it.

In all honesty, Cattaneo and Warren were pretty sluggish off the mark. We’d eaten a big meal only a few hours before, which probably added to the slightly ponderous feel of the night. They were playing solid enough atmospheric fare, but the flow between them was unspectacular and my girlfriend was a little restless. At 3am it still didn’t feel genuinely peak time, so we absconded to the second room to see D-Nox followed by Cid Inc. As often is the case, the second room had so much more energy than the first. D-Nox did his marching proggy-techno thing at a smaller, second-room scale, with more of a “party” feel than anything big on skyscraping atmospherics. Cid Inc was the real revelation. He was playing a mixture of plenty of his own productions along with tunes very similar in style – that punchy techy end of prog with heavily compressed basslines. I was worried he’d be a bit too purist, as that clinical tech-prog sometimes feels, but actually it was really driving and also oddly groovy. Tunes of his like Roihu and the remix of Dousk – Whisper Unit worked really well in the smaller space, and we enjoyed it so much we stayed in there until 5.30am when the room closed.

Back to the main room, and Warren and Cattaneo were finally getting to the business end. My girlfriend was flagging badly at this point but the main room had emptied out slightly and I found a magnificent position directly in eye-line with the DJs at the other end of the dancefloor, giving me a brilliant view of the whole sea of people and also a raised rampart which caught the bass resonance nicely. I was elevated slightly above the crowd but still felt part of the action. And I have to say, the last 90 minutes of their set were beyond sublime. Driving, growling monsters, huge skin-tingling breakdowns… it was basically dance music as I love it, and from that position, staring across the crowd, it seemed in my slightly hazy mind to be exactly as I’d always imagined clubbing as a spotty teenager reading the inlays of those old Euphoria trance compilations.

The crowd, for their part, were brilliant too. The club was still 90% full at 7.30am and every big tune got a humungous reaction. It felt like every hardcore prog fan in Europe had descended on one club. It wasn’t a consistently great night, but the last hour or two were quite simply as good as clubbing gets.

Now, at this point I was half-tempted to carry on into the afternoon and go to Lee Burridge’s ADID party, but that would have murdered me long before the Kompakt night started. So we regrouped that evening and got the NDSM ferry across to the docklands to the most humungous warehouse I’ve ever seen. The ceiling must have been about 25 high, no joke. All the signs were of a commercially-minded mega-arena event, and so it proved. 7.00€ for a locker, 2.90€ for a bottle of water. Merchandise stands and food trucks. A crowd completely opposite to the previous night’s, mostly comprised of trendy Dutch locals who spent more time jabbing their phones and chattering than dancing. And music that was mostly pure self-indulgent dogshit.

The truly enormous main room was mostly host to live acts like Gui Boratto and Weval, and Apparat playing the most wanky DJ set I’ve ever heard. Very little in the way of thumping beats or grooves. It was more of a giant electronic live gig than a club night. Needing some energy, we tried to stick to the second room. Tobias Thomas did a slick warm-up set of trippy techno, and then Roman Flugel came on the decks at 1am on absolute fire. The first 45 minutes were as good as I’ve heard anyone DJ all year. He was playing in signature leftfield German techno style, but more banging and driving than I knew hm capable of. When this kind of music fuses its innovative sound palettes and structures with proper rave energy it’s undeniably brilliant. However, after this storming start he eased off the gas and became increasingly noodly and oddball. He finished on one last techno banger, and that was the last good tune I heard all night.

Danny Daze has reserved a special place on my shit-list for what followed. With Apparat jerking off all over the decks in the other room, it fell to Daze to provide a techno contrast. And what he did was pure angry teenager “challenging” dark techno dross. Weird rhythms, off-beats, silly droning sounds, laser splashes. Anything except an ounce of groove. We found ourselves trapped in the docklands for two hours with nothing, nothing to dance to. By the time Michael Mayer and Patrice Baumel emerged to close the main room, our buzz was long gone and tiredness was setting in hard. When they decided to mark the occasion with their crap tribute to dark dystopian Berliner techno, we’d had enough. It was pissing it down with freezing cold rain outside and took an hour to get home. I’ve now returned from the Netherlands with a horrible head-cold for my troubles. If only we’d seen sense, sacked off Kompakt, and gone to Lee Burridge instead.

As a side-note, for anyone curious about ADE, it was an amazing experience. Even living in a fairly busy clubbing city, the “dance music industry” often feels like a travelling roadshow that only occasionally stops by for a party. During ADE you really are at the heart of the scene for a week. You can barely walk down a street without seeing a name like Nina Kravitz DJing on the radio through a studio window, or wander into Ritchie Hawtin doing a free outdoor party in a city square. The city is super-liberal and the friendliest, most open-minded place for a giant mashed-up party. As I learned the hard way, some of the mega parties are as soulless and joyless as they are everywhere in the world, but the smaller parties are things of beauty, and the number of mouth-watering line-ups in such a short space of time is surely unrivalled anywhere else on the planet. I’m already planning to go back next year, and this time holding off buying any tickets for anything until All Day I Dream gets announced. Don’t wait so long next time Burridge, you bald-headed bastard!

Nice recap.

I'll def try to get there next year.

Old Post Oct-27-2017 09:55 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

Went to see SNTS on Saturday night in a huge warehouse-like studio. I can't even put into words how mind blowing a party/set it was. Anyone who dares to go into the dark world this guy creates with his sets are in for a serious ass whopping.

I'm still buzzing from the party so I'll probably edit this post with a more detailed review and try to get some footage from the party to go along with it.

Old Post Nov-20-2017 18:38  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

What's with Dettmanns 80s phase??? Not digging it Marcel, not digging it

next up for me is Mauro Picotto, never seen him live before, hoping he drops some oldies

Old Post Dec-12-2017 17:18  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by evo8
What's with Dettmanns 80s phase??? Not digging it Marcel, not digging it

next up for me is Mauro Picotto, never seen him live before, hoping he drops some oldies

At least in Berlin he's always been known for dropping EBM and 80s stuff.

Old Post Dec-12-2017 22:21 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
paulversuspaul
Inventor of the fist pump

went to a party in la and seth troxler was the headliner. Party was ok but man does this guy suck ass. I dont get it at all. you could literally just take his music collection and have a piece of software just randomly play songs from it and that's basically his DJing.

This guy needs to come back

Old Post Feb-13-2018 03:41  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for paulversuspaul Click here to Send paulversuspaul a Private Message Add paulversuspaul to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wotyzoid
it's not house

Bomb ass trax?

Old Post Feb-13-2018 18:51  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wotyzoid Click here to Send wotyzoid a Private Message Add wotyzoid to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by paulversuspaul
went to a party in la and seth troxler was the headliner. Party was ok but man does this guy suck ass. I dont get it at all. you could literally just take his music collection and have a piece of software just randomly play songs from it and that's basically his DJing.

Sounds like a couple of DJs I've seen recently. Levon Vincent and Charlie May spring to mind.

I've been out at least three times since I last posted in this thread, but I'm getting bored of writing about nights out when nobody else seems to post a damn thing.

Old Post Feb-13-2018 19:10  England

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackclub tune [2011] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPMT - "Gyromancer" (False Prophet Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread