Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I went to the Mono Cult NYD party last night (http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?643732). I was a bit apprehensive about going but my girlfriend has been working ridiculously hard over the last couple of weeks and we wanted to go out and let our hair down. Sadly, just about all my fears were confirmed.

Firstly, and predictably, it was massively oversold. The main room was just a sardine tin pretty much all night, and the second room wasn't much better. Then in the main room, Floating Points and Four Tet B2B with Daphni were all fucking boring. They were playing a combination of deathly slow plodding deep house and re-edits. At one point Floating Points was playing what sounded like a re-edit of some old Northern Soul track. I love re-edits and slo-mo shit as much as anyone but it felt totally underwhelming in such a big space, and because the room was fucking packed nobody was dancing. It was just a sea of people milling around bobbing their heads absently. No vibe whatsoever. We didn't spend more than 20 minutes in there all night.

The second room was smaller and the music was much more pumping, so we spent most of the night there. Move D was probably the best of a bad bunch. He was mostly playing the kind of '90s flashback house that's so popular at the moment. The music was pretty good but there was no real direction to his set at all - he'd go from a mellow groove to a diva vocal screamer to a faux-ravey breakbeat number. It did feel pretty random. Then Gerd Janson came on and started playing more techno, including lots of storming Detroit-ish material that would probably sound great in a dark bunker with a killer soundsystem. The problem was the sound system in the second room was a bit harsh and muddy, not very punchy or crisp at all, and so most of the techno he played just dissolved into a low end WRRRRUUURGH-WRRRRUUURGH-WRRRRUUURGH rumble.

The third room was pretty much just playing cheesy party classics - the first thing we heard when we walked in was Madonna - Express Yourself, and it says a lot that I probably had the most fun dancing in that room. We ended up leaving at about 4.30 and the taxi driver told us that just about everyone he'd ferried home that night had agreed that the place was far too crowded and a big disappointment.

This all just reinforces my general belief that these big warehouse parties stocked up with DJs on the RA Top 100 are a waste of time. The line-ups always look alluring with their all-star casts, and the venues are usually great, but it's always the same shit - no room to dance, pushy people, unfriendly security and staff, and just mediocre music.

> Rough & Ready [Modern Trance]
>A Different Energy [Good Modern Trance]
> The Edale Mix [Panoramic Beats]

Old Post Jan-02-2015 14:43  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

I had to work at 9:30am on NYDay, which is too late to attempt an all-nighter, and too early to get any decent sleep after hitting the clubs unless one leaves early. With cover charges stupid expensive on NYEve, totally not worth my while then.

So I stayed home, watched a little hockey, and went to sleep at 10:30pm. Woke up feeling great and refreshed, plus with a smile on my face as the clock radio alarm played a charming, hilarious show called "Adults Read Their Childhood Writing".

Best New Year's in ages!

(~)

Old Post Jan-02-2015 15:33  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SPANIARD
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I went to the Mono Cult NYD party last night (http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?643732). I was a bit apprehensive about going but my girlfriend has been working ridiculously hard over the last couple of weeks and we wanted to go out and let our hair down. Sadly, just about all my fears were confirmed.

Firstly, and predictably, it was massively oversold. The main room was just a sardine tin pretty much all night, and the second room wasn't much better. Then in the main room, Floating Points and Four Tet B2B with Daphni were all fucking boring. They were playing a combination of deathly slow plodding deep house and re-edits. At one point Floating Points was playing what sounded like a re-edit of some old Northern Soul track. I love re-edits and slo-mo shit as much as anyone but it felt totally underwhelming in such a big space, and because the room was fucking packed nobody was dancing. It was just a sea of people milling around bobbing their heads absently. No vibe whatsoever. We didn't spend more than 20 minutes in there all night.

The second room was smaller and the music was much more pumping, so we spent most of the night there. Move D was probably the best of a bad bunch. He was mostly playing the kind of '90s flashback house that's so popular at the moment. The music was pretty good but there was no real direction to his set at all - he'd go from a mellow groove to a diva vocal screamer to a faux-ravey breakbeat number. It did feel pretty random. Then Gerd Janson came on and started playing more techno, including lots of storming Detroit-ish material that would probably sound great in a dark bunker with a killer soundsystem. The problem was the sound system in the second room was a bit harsh and muddy, not very punchy or crisp at all, and so most of the techno he played just dissolved into a low end WRRRRUUURGH-WRRRRUUURGH-WRRRRUUURGH rumble.

The third room was pretty much just playing cheesy party classics - the first thing we heard when we walked in was Madonna - Express Yourself, and it says a lot that I probably had the most fun dancing in that room. We ended up leaving at about 4.30 and the taxi driver told us that just about everyone he'd ferried home that night had agreed that the place was far too crowded and a big disappointment.

This all just reinforces my general belief that these big warehouse parties stocked up with DJs on the RA Top 100 are a waste of time. The line-ups always look alluring with their all-star casts, and the venues are usually great, but it's always the same shit - no room to dance, pushy people, unfriendly security and staff, and just mediocre music.

Real bummer to hear but I can't say it's a big surprise. All I've been hearing is bad reports coming from the parties in the UK. Like the Elixir of Life party that was cancelled for what, the 3rd NYE in a row now?

Old Post Jan-02-2015 17:41  Spain
Click Here to See the Profile for SPANIARD Click here to Send SPANIARD a Private Message Add SPANIARD to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by SPANIARD
Real bummer to hear but I can't say it's a big surprise. All I've been hearing is bad reports coming from the parties in the UK. Like the Elixir of Life party that was cancelled for what, the 3rd NYE in a row now?

Oh don't get me wrong, we have loads of great parties here - it's just the big events with sprawling line ups of hot names that tend to disappoint. It's why I mostly stick to small events. "Small clubs, extended sets" is my formula for a great night out.

Old Post Jan-02-2015 18:26  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

quote:
The second room was smaller and the music was much more pumping, so we spent most of the night there. Move D was probably the best of a bad bunch. He was mostly playing the kind of '90s flashback house that's so popular at the moment. The music was pretty good but there was no real direction to his set at all - he'd go from a mellow groove to a diva vocal screamer to a faux-ravey breakbeat number. It did feel pretty random.

I love Move D, I've seen him a few times and yes.. he does play all sorts of records, I'd say his shorter sets do not have any direction.. he just plays killer records, and his ability to change direction is impressive to me. I also don't think he's playing 'that 90s flashback house', he's always played that kind of stuff and wont stop cuz its trendy now.

Great DJ.

Old Post Jan-02-2015 21:52  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

He was on for two hours, which is enough time to build something. I don't personally see what's impressive about changing direction every second or third track. The energy levels were up and down, it just felt like he played whatever record he saw in the bag next. Of all the DJs on the line-up he's the one I'd heard the most hype about and the one I wanted to check out the most, and he was really nothing special.

Old Post Jan-03-2015 11:43  England
corjay9
Chief Executive Ocifer

quote:
He was on for two hours, which is enough time to build something. I don't personally see what's impressive about changing direction every second or third track. The energy levels were up and down, it just felt like he played whatever record he saw in the bag next. Of all the DJs on the line-up he's the one I'd heard the most hype about and the one I wanted to check out the most, and he was really nothing special.

I think thats cuz you come from the world of prog where every transition has to be smooth the sets perfectly programmed, almost scripted. Move D just plays awesome records, whether its diva house, 90s warehouse techno or the new Julio Bashmore track. Leon Vynehall plays a very similar style, who I also really enjoyed.

I prefer the ups and downs of a DJ set as opposed to one slow build.. don't go watch Levon Vincent you'll absolutely hate his mixing style hahaha.

Old Post Jan-03-2015 15:43  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for corjay9 Click here to Send corjay9 a Private Message Add corjay9 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Sigh. Why is this argument always wheeled out against me whenever I don't like someone's favourite DJ? I can barely even remember the last time I heard any progressive house in a club. I go to house nights, techno nights, drum 'n bass nights, cosmic/nu disco nights, breaks nights, even the occasional psy event, and yet apparently I just live in "the world of prog".

Old Post Jan-03-2015 16:32  England
enydo
~

You just don't UNDERSTAND it, don't worry.

Old Post Jan-03-2015 18:08 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

quote:
Sigh. Why is this argument always wheeled out against me whenever I don't like someone's favourite DJ?

This.

Old Post Jan-03-2015 18:20 
Add  to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

Hah, Jack clearly doesn't get it. It's UP and DOWN, like the STOCK MARKET, man.

Wait, did I do it right?

Austin?

Austin ... ?

Old Post Jan-03-2015 23:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
enydo
~

... ?

Old Post Jan-04-2015 01:48 
Click Here to See the Profile for enydo Click here to Send enydo a Private Message Add enydo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The "talk about your last night out" thread
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (40): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPlease help me id this progressive tune from 2002 [2002] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackDanny Rampling - "Community Of The Spirit" (Constipated Monkeys Mix) [2004]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread