Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Recomended Books and Videos List
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

Recomended Books and Videos List

Dance Music Manual Vol. 2

A great beginners guide for anyone jumping into electronic music production. Some of the genre analyses are already dated, but the fundamentals in the book are sound. The DVD content from the second edition is better, where they talk about producing each track, but if you can get ahold of the first edition its almost as good.

Modern Beats "Hit Theory"

An ebook clearly geared towards people trying to make Hip-hop, but it does have a good section on groove and can open your eyes if you take popular music for granted.

The Secrets of House Music Production

The production value of this book is very high and covers basic to intermediate house production concepts. You could think of this book as a mash up of several Computer Music Tips and Tutorials Sections because they way it is laid out is almost identical.

Mixing With Your Mind

A book geared towards recording artist and mixing artists. It covers many undiscussed or seemingly secret topics, including the highly controversial "Hit Formula" section. Has a very good section on how to easily set any compressor.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory

A great introductory book.

Harmony and Voice Leading 3rd Edition

A scholastic grade music theory textbook endorsed by Tranceaddict's music theory expert Mad for Brad.

Mixing Audio

The bible of mixing audio. The mix examples on the DVD are great if you want to hear what a professional mix artist can do to a track, and how every element is treated with different effects.

Levels in Digital Audio

A great little pdf that clears up a few very common misconceptions about levels in digital audio. It's free too!

The Mixing Engineers Handbook,2nd Ed

Part guide to mixing, part interview with mixing pros, the book goes through mixing concepts and how they are tackled differently.

Understanding Audio:getting the most out of your project or professional recording studio

Covers the more technical aspects of a professional studio.

Ableton Live 8 Power!
Logic Pro 9 Power!

I have the Live 7 Power! book and it helps a lot when you're trying to learn a DAW. The Ableton manual is very thorough, but sometimes it helps to get a different explanation. There are a lot of good tips and tricks to boot.

How to DJ Right!

The book is already dated now with some older techniques, but a lot of the fundamentals of DJing are the same. The book is littered with tips from professional DJs.

Mastering Audio, 2nd Edition: The art and science

Covers more technical issues with regards to mixing and mastering.

The Art of Mixing

Takes on the concepts of mixing via the 3D box concept(frequency x depth x panning) and uses visual diagrams to express how a different elements can be mixed. I found this at my local library, you might consider checking yours as well.

quote:
Originally posted by cryophonik
S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Mixing & Mastering Audio Recordings - Bill Gibson; good all-around primer on mixing/mastering.

Guerilla Home Recording - How to Get Great Sound From Any Studio... - Karl Coryat; excellent book for recording with cheap gear in home studios.

Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming - Ultimate Reference for Sound Design - Jim Aikin; not a sound design "recipe book" per se, but a good reference guide for understanding synthesis.

Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard: From Presets to Power User - Simon Cann; excellent resource for learning synthesis and putting it into practice.

Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User - Simon Cann; similar to above, but covers the Cakewalk synths (e.g., Z3TA, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Pentagon, Triangle, etc.).

The Trance Experience - Torsten Fassbender; dated, but good and with hands-on tutorials.

Production Mixing Mastering with Waves - Anthony Egizii; good all-around hands-on tutorials for a variety of styles, including electronica/dance.

The other Power! books (e.g., Sonar, Cubase, Reason, etc.)

quote:
Originally posted by forkol
Getting Started in Computer Music

Burning Down the House: Ripping, Recording, Remixing, and More! (good section on remixing).

Audio Mashup Construction Kit: ExtremeTech This book is really for mashup production, but has techinques that are very useful for remixing and gives a good music theory introduction.
Hope this helps!

Videos

quote:
Originally posted by kadomony

quote:
http://www.groove3.com/str/

Huge number of excellent tutorials for every major DAW, other software, production techniques, etc. These guys explain things clearly and concisely. Currently a sale going at $99 for a full year (reg. $249).
Just to add, if anyone is ever in the market for a new DAW and having a tough time deciding, I've been referring them to Groove3. You can pay $29 for a full-month, all-access pass and, over the course of 6-8 hours, see each major DAW in action and in-depth by someone who is experienced and knowledgeable. I mean, demos are great, but trying to compare 2 or more DAWs in any intelligent way takes a lot of time to configure, get up to speed, etc. With Groove3, you see the DAW's workflow and capabilities in a matter of hours.

http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/

The author of the "Dance Music Manual" has several different instructional videos that include the fundamentals of dance music, and DVDs that cater to one specific genre. Check out his website from time to time for new DVD releases.

quote:
Originally posted by MeltdownZA
There is a great set of introductory video tutorials for subscribers on lynda.com.

Author Dave Schroeder explains the basics of digital audio production techniques and covers the essential hardware and software. He also discusses sound theory, frequency response, the range of human hearing, and dynamic range.

I'm going through this at the moment and learning tons.

http://www.lynda.com/Pro-Tools-tuto...ples/338-2.html

quote:
Originally posted by DNA_pl
this guy tutorials are well described

http://www.youtube.com/user/LoudonYukon

quote:
Originally posted by Vernon Wanderer
These are not tutorials, but i learned a lot from the pros in "In the studio with" videos, free ofc:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FutureMusicMagazine

quote:
Originally posted by SoundMagus
Music Production Videos

quote:
Originally posted by Sukhavati
This isn't a book, it's a DVD but the info's good so I'll share it:

Secrets of the Pros

The ones on mixing and mastering are especially useful, for example how to properly set up the studio to avoid hot spots and how to construct some cheap sound absorption/traps.

The advantage of the DVD is actually seeing how to put this stuff together.

I also like Microsound by Curtis Roads. It's not the easiest read, but it's been a book that I've gotten several useful techniques from that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about.

Last edited by Beatflux on Jul-18-2012 at 19:21

Old Post Jul-23-2010 20:11  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
atxbigballer1
Supreme tranceaddict

Books don't really help.
Been there done that!
Just my 2c!

"It's not the equipment....it's the muthaf@#%r running it"
quote:
Originally posted by Pagan-za
Fighting online is like winning the special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 20:29  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for atxbigballer1 Click here to Send atxbigballer1 a Private Message Add atxbigballer1 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Looney4Clooney
Supreme tranceaddict

if you can read, they are quite useful.

Most books tend to be geared towards noobs. Have you read Bob Katz book ? That one is a must read for anyone in audio production.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 20:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for Looney4Clooney Click here to Send Looney4Clooney a Private Message Add Looney4Clooney to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

Nice compilation, Beatflux! Should be a sticky. Here are a few others off the top of my head:

S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Mixing & Mastering Audio Recordings - Bill Gibson; good all-around primer on mixing/mastering.

Guerilla Home Recording - How to Get Great Sound From Any Studio... - Karl Coryat; excellent book for recording with cheap gear in home studios.

Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming - Ultimate Reference for Sound Design - Jim Aikin; not a sound design "recipe book" per se, but a good reference guide for understanding synthesis.

Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard: From Presets to Power User - Simon Cann; excellent resource for learning synthesis and putting it into practice.

Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User - Simon Cann; similar to above, but covers the Cakewalk synths (e.g., Z3TA, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Pentagon, Triangle, etc.).

The Trance Experience - Torsten Fassbender; dated, but good and with hands-on tutorials.

Production Mixing Mastering with Waves - Anthony Egizii; good all-around hands-on tutorials for a variety of styles, including electronica/dance.

The other Power! books (e.g., Sonar, Cubase, Reason, etc.)

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Jul-23-2010 20:32  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zombie0729
Supreme tranceaddict

mixing with your mind really helped me w/ EQ & compression, my track's sounded 10x better within a week of reading it. Smart author too, you can only buy the book from him directly!

Old Post Jul-23-2010 20:42  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zombie0729 Add Zombie0729 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

online video tutorials are alot faster to learn from imo than books but thats me, ive always been a terrible reader. but that mixing with your mind looked interesting.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 20:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zombie0729
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by 19503
online video tutorials are alot faster to learn from imo than books but thats me, ive always been a terrible reader.

well that i can totally understand, with video's you're learning about sound thru ... sound! Understanding sound related hypothesis' thru text is not easy, the author & editor need to really be descriptive for them to fully voice their material. There's a lot of jargon in music so text can be interpreted incorrectly.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 21:03  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zombie0729 Add Zombie0729 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

quote:
online video tutorials are alot faster to learn from imo than books...

True, IF you just want to learn how to accopmlish a discrete task, but if you want to learn subjects and concepts in a more wholistic manner, books are much better IMO. Also, it doesn't hurt to step away from your computer on occasion.

Sonar Platinum | Ableton Live 9 | Logic Pro X | Access Virus TI2 Keyboard | Kurzweil PC3X | Nord Lead 4R | NI Maschine

Old Post Jul-23-2010 21:06  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for cryophonik Click here to Send cryophonik a Private Message Visit cryophonik's homepage! Add cryophonik to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zak McKracken
Trance

quote:
Also, it doesn't hurt to step away from your computer on occasion.

blasphemy

Old Post Jul-23-2010 21:11 
Click Here to See the Profile for Zak McKracken Click here to Send Zak McKracken a Private Message Add Zak McKracken to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
cryophonik
Boom shanka

quote:
blasphemy

Yeah, I guess I should clarify. It doesn't hurt to step away from my HOME computer. When I try to step away from my work computer, the tethers cut into my wrist and ankles....then, there's the electrodes on my scrotum...

Old Post Jul-23-2010 21:25  United States
Zak McKracken
Trance

exactly. be more productive. knowledge are for leaders only.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 21:34 
Beatflux
Rising Star in training

quote:
Originally posted by Zombie0729
mixing with your mind really helped me w/ EQ & compression, my track's sounded 10x better within a week of reading it. Smart author too, you can only buy the book from him directly!

I forgot to mention that the compression guide is really killer.

I added Cryo's links and if anyone else has recommendations I will add them to the head post as well.

Old Post Jul-23-2010 21:54  Trinidad and Tobago
Click Here to See the Profile for Beatflux Click here to Send Beatflux a Private Message Add Beatflux to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Recomended Books and Videos List
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackgoonight ravers [2003] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackLiam Shachar - "Senses" (Sphere's Smart Ass Remarks Remix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread