Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Corona Virus Fears in your area
Pages (66): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...for-second-time

Old Post Mar-15-2020 00:32  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sushipunk
Flickering, I roam

Well, that sucks. Thanks for the info though.

Old Post Mar-15-2020 02:00  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Sushipunk Click here to Send Sushipunk a Private Message Visit Sushipunk's homepage! Add Sushipunk to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Camwin
STICKMAN

While the virus itself isn't hugely prevalent in New Zealand, we've had our first case confirmed in Wellington (he tested and decided to still travel and now is self quarantined in a fregin hotel!) the impact it's had on the travel industry is huge, many jobs will be/ are being lost

THE LAST FLIGHT - PROGRESSIVE HOUSE/TRANCE

Old Post Mar-15-2020 02:01  New Zealand
Click Here to See the Profile for Camwin Click here to Send Camwin a Private Message Visit Camwin's homepage! Add Camwin to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

quote:
Originally posted by JEO

"Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Prof Philip Tierno at New York University’s school of medicine. He said much remained unknown about the virus. “I’m not certain that this is not biphasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease might appear to go away before recurring."

So you might think you've had it and gotten better after a week of hopefully self isolating but can still infect others afterward because it's lying dormant? If that's the case, providing free tests to the general public would seem even more vital. That's a scary thought that you could still be infectious even after symptoms have subsided. Or is that total nonsense?

Old Post Mar-15-2020 07:01 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

My heart goes out to the people of Italy and those caring for their sick.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health...-at-virus-limit

I worry that if we don't wake the fuck up here in the US, our "response" is going to look very similar.

Last edited by Zoso on Mar-15-2020 at 14:18

Old Post Mar-15-2020 11:27  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
Well, I am slightly biased, because I have been pro-UBI for years! (I think I first advocated for it around 2010.)

We're starting to see some movements that way, actually - Hong Kong is giving all residents ~$1,282 to help boost the economy, while German judges sneakily implemented a UBI of ~€1000 a month last year.

But, yes, I absolutely think that in the present circumstances there should be at a minimum a temporary UBI. Partially to help people on hourly-contracts and can't work from home and partially just to put a big boost into demand when things calm down and we've gotten past the virus.

I'd combine this with lots of other fiscal and monetary tools, by the way. But it's definitely one fiscal tool I would like to see governments using right now, even if they stopped it 6 months from now or whenever.

i dont oppose UBI in principle but i've never seen a credible crunching of numbers that shows it's remotely affordable (generally and permanently i mean, not as a temporary fiscal tool). are there any decent studies?

Old Post Mar-15-2020 12:44  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
I don't know, without going full accelerationist, to me the silver lining and potential upside of this whole thing seems to be that it's really the ultimate "things cannot go on this way" wake-up call, if there's ever been one.

It could also end up inadvertently redressing some generational wealth inequality.

> Beating The Lockdown Blues [Peak Time]
> A Different World [Downtempo Beats]
> A Secondhand Sunrise [Lush Breakbeat House]

Old Post Mar-15-2020 14:01  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

quote:
Originally posted by JEO

The doctors and scientists I have been listening to generally attribute alleged "reinfection" to false negative tests. When you have a test like the current ones with a false negative rate in the teens, even if you do it twice to "make sure" you are bound to see some outliers given the enormous number of cases with this disease.

So far experiments in monkeys indicates little possibility of reinfection once you have fought off the virus:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10....0226v1.full.pdf

But that's just a preprint, not peer-reviewed, and they're monkeys, not humans.

Old Post Mar-15-2020 14:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Or it's also possible that the people who got reinfected have compromised immune systems (not making antibodies properly) either because of a pre-existing condition or (horror scenario!) the virus itself can destroy the immune system like HIV/AIDS.

Old Post Mar-15-2020 14:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
JEO
Supreme tranceaddict

I don't buy the possibility of re-infection either, at least not yet. Everything regarding the virus is still quite rickety-rackety for now, so it's much more probable some of the tests were faulty.

Old Post Mar-15-2020 14:36  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for JEO Click here to Send JEO a Private Message Add JEO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Silky Johnson
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
i dont oppose UBI in principle but i've never seen a credible crunching of numbers that shows it's remotely affordable (generally and permanently i mean, not as a temporary fiscal tool). are there any decent studies?

Our provincial government was piloting a UBI program that was cut when the Conservative party took over. The evidence drawn from the project's limited time running showed that the people receiving the money continued to work, at better paying, more secure jobs to boot; they were healthier, happier, and spent more money on goods and services! If people contributing more fulsomely to the economy isn't prime evidence to implement UBI, I dunno what is.

I found this, except only an abstract :/

https://works.bepress.com/widerquist/75/

Not a robust crunching of numbers, but a comparison to our child benefit showing how UBI could work similarly and what it would cost.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/09/19/economic-analysis-of-child-benefit-bolsters-case-for-national-basic-income.html

Here is the full report:
https://ubiworks.ca/canada-child-benefit-basic-income-economic-contribution/

Last edited by Silky Johnson on Mar-15-2020 at 15:05

Old Post Mar-15-2020 14:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for Silky Johnson Click here to Send Silky Johnson a Private Message Add Silky Johnson to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Chloroquine / hydroxychloroquine is getting more and more attention:

One wrinkle is that anybody on QT interval prolonging meds (SSRIs etc.) would probably need to either stop them for a few days or have careful ECG monitoring. Small price to pay if this turns out to be life-saving.

Old Post Mar-15-2020 15:44  United States

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Corona Virus Fears in your area
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (66): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread