Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Corona Virus Fears in your area
Pages (66): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Lews
Platipus And Prog Addict

I just think people are being unnecessarily pessimistic.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 00:56 
Click Here to See the Profile for Lews Click here to Send Lews a Private Message Add Lews to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by Arbiter
A lot of software patents are basically utter nonsense. For example, a patent owned by a major chipmaker claimed the concept of displaying video in the background of a computer screen while some other application remained "actively" displayed in the foreground. The patent office concluded that this patent was both novel and non-obvious over earlier publications showing another application overlaying video displayed in the background because there was no proof that the earlier applications were being "actively" displayed (I guess as opposed to passively? In any case, the office didn't elaborate as to what it thought "actively" meant in this context.) I have to deal with crap like that all the time.

i hear a lot of the tech stuff described as patent trolling in the gaming media ie purchase an existing patent and see if you can sue someone for infringing it.

quote:
That said, I did encounter a few absolutely ridiculous cases brought by pro se patent applicants when I briefly worked at the court of appeals. One woman claimed, in her 2008 patent application, to have invented the internet. She apparently believed that the patent office was rejecting her application solely as an act of race and sex discrimination. Spoiler: she didn't get a patent. Another applicant was trying to patent a supposedly-new cat breed. His appeal was also unsuccessful.

amazing.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 07:49  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
pkcRAISTLIN
arbiter's chief minion

quote:
Originally posted by Lews
I just think people are being unnecessarily pessimistic.

i obviously don't have my ear to the ground in the US but im leaning in jay's direction.

i think that while more people might turn out to vote against him they'll mostly be in states which already vote blue? my assumption before COVID was that if the employment/economic fortunes of the swing states or rust belt are good, then he'll win. he is the most bulletproof politician of my lifetime because his idiotic fans genuinely don't care how many clusters of fucks he finds himself in. and there are clearly way, way too many fans.

perhaps things are a bit different now but i can see him blaming all economic bad news on COVID and getting a second term. i hope im wrong obviously but after 2016 i have zero faith in voters.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 08:01  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for pkcRAISTLIN Click here to Send pkcRAISTLIN a Private Message Add pkcRAISTLIN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
OrangestO
–30–

Andrew Cuomo 2024.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 08:59 
Click Here to See the Profile for OrangestO Click here to Send OrangestO a Private Message Add OrangestO to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Arbiter
Naked Power Organ

Unfortunately the most predictive factor in U.S. presidential elections is which candidate is less boring. Trump was less boring than Hillary. Obama was less boring than either Romney or McCain. Dubya was less boring than Kerry or Gore. Bill Clinton was less boring than Dole or Bush I. Bush I, while quite boring, was still a bit less boring than Dukakis. And Reagan was less boring than Mondale or Carter.

Yes, Ford may have been slightly less boring than Carter as well, but if you need to go back nearly a half century to find a counterexample, then you're in trouble. In sum, if the Democrats wanted to win, they needed to nominate Dwayne Johnson or some such nonsense. Well, assuming we even have an election, that is.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 23:07 
Click Here to See the Profile for Arbiter Click here to Send Arbiter a Private Message Add Arbiter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Arbiter
Naked Power Organ

quote:
Originally posted by pkcRAISTLIN
i hear a lot of the tech stuff described as patent trolling in the gaming media ie purchase an existing patent and see if you can sue someone for infringing it.

Yes that's very common. At least 75-80% of U.S. patent lawsuits are filed by entities that are clearly "trolls," and the proportion is significantly higher than that if you exclude "life sciences" patents such as pharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics, et cetera. Often these plaintiffs are shell companies with no assets other than the patents (usually laundered through a few other shell companies), and they will make early settlement offers for far less than the cost of defending the lawsuit.

Probably somewhere around half my time is spent defending companies against those types of suits. If they didn't settle early so frequently, it would be more.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 23:18 
Click Here to See the Profile for Arbiter Click here to Send Arbiter a Private Message Add Arbiter to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

quote:
Unfortunately the most predictive factor in U.S. presidential elections is which candidate is less boring. Trump was less boring than Hillary. Obama was less boring than either Romney or McCain. Dubya was less boring than Kerry or Gore. Bill Clinton was less boring than Dole or Bush I. Bush I, while quite boring, was still a bit less boring than Dukakis. And Reagan was less boring than Mondale or Carter.

Yes, Ford may have been slightly less boring than Carter as well, but if you need to go back nearly a half century to find a counterexample, then you're in trouble. In sum, if the Democrats wanted to win, they needed to nominate Dwayne Johnson or some such nonsense. Well, assuming we even have an election, that is.

So what you're saying is the Dems should have gone with Marianne Williamson?

Old Post Apr-17-2020 23:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Arbiter
Naked Power Organ

quote:
Originally posted by Vector A
So what you're saying is the Dems should have gone with Marianne Williamson?

Probably her or Yang would have fared best, but I don't think either is quite the match for Trump as an entertainer.

Old Post Apr-17-2020 23:58 
Zoso
Banging Gangs!

quote:
Probably her or Yang would have fared best, but I don't think either is quite the match for Trump as an entertainer.

This administration has been, by far, one of the most bread and circuses we've had in a long time....maybe ever? I know in my lifetime, at least.

What scares me is how another human being can be so beholden (almost religiously) to another, simply because of the political party letter he or she carries after his/her name. Christ, people, you aren't electing Ds or Rs...you are electing human beings. Flawed, broken, lazy, greedy, selfish human beings that have committed every "sin" you ever have done (or even thought about doing), and because they are a "politician" with a letter, you suddenly expect them to rise above all of that and perform miracles?

I don't trust ANY politician and have equal disdain for all parties. Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads.

Old Post Apr-18-2020 11:18  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Zoso Click here to Send Zoso a Private Message Add Zoso to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Arbiter
Naked Power Organ

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
This administration has been, by far, one of the most bread and circuses we've had in a long time....maybe ever? I know in my lifetime, at least.

What scares me is how another human being can be so beholden (almost religiously) to another, simply because of the political party letter he or she carries after his/her name. Christ, people, you aren't electing Ds or Rs...you are electing human beings. Flawed, broken, lazy, greedy, selfish human beings that have committed every "sin" you ever have done (or even thought about doing), and because they are a "politician" with a letter, you suddenly expect them to rise above all of that and perform miracles?

I don't trust ANY politician and have equal disdain for all parties. Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads.

For me the most striking moment was watching colleagues who had ardently opposed Trump as unqualified during the Republican primaries suddenly because his supporters nearly overnight, as soon as he won the nomination in 2016.

The problem is made worse by the fact that the Democrats and Republicans essentially operate together as a cartel to prevent any other party from getting a foothold in U.S. politics. This makes it easy for them to both offer up very weak platforms and candidates simply because there are no viable alternatives.

Old Post Apr-18-2020 22:52 
planetaryplayer
surprime trainandict

Omar s still hasn’t shipped me his CD after i PayPal’d nearly 2 months ago. My shits smell awful during quarantine. This one smells like acidic vomit

Old Post Apr-19-2020 05:57  Norfolk Island
Click Here to See the Profile for planetaryplayer Click here to Send planetaryplayer a Private Message Add planetaryplayer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dykes_on_Jay
Ape me.

Playing Set It Out really loud and 3 coffees usually lead to maasive one push Movement.

Old Post Apr-19-2020 14:37  China
Click Here to See the Profile for Dykes_on_Jay Click here to Send Dykes_on_Jay a Private Message Visit Dykes_on_Jay's homepage! Add Dykes_on_Jay to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Chill Out Room > Corona Virus Fears in your area
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (66): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread