TranceAddict Forums

TranceAddict Forums (www.tranceaddict.com/forums)
- Chill Out Room
-- Friday 307: B.1.1.7 Variant edition

Posted by Swamper on Mar-27-2021 01:18:

Invisible Grin Friday 307: B.1.1.7 Variant edition

As we fly into the weekend every time I see this covid variant mentioned I just think of the B17 flying Fortress

Tangentially related: I was reading about this in the UK....we are reaching levels of absurdity rather quickly

Link:
Revealed: Government plan for Covid 'pub passport' app on phones that will show proof of jab, negative test or immunity - but furious publicans say it's 'bonkers', 'un-British' and a fraud risk

Posted by Lews on Mar-27-2021 16:46:

Why did I just know Swamper's link was going to be to the Daily Mail? I suppose their article titles just have a certain je nais se quois.

Anyways, what's absurd about requiring people to be vaccinated before going to certain places? Obviously I'm biased, but the idea doesn't seem prima facie ridiculous.

Posted by Lira on Mar-27-2021 19:25:

I'm more of a P.1 variant kind of guy... that's the one doing the rounds in my neck of woods

Speaking of which, mother-in-law is improving, brother-in law is reportedly the same. Niece had just lost her sense of taste, and now I have to deal with all the madness of people prescribing me chloroquine and ivermectin "as a safety measure". Nothing compares to being separated from my wife though, as she's quarantining with her mum because she's looking after her

Posted by Sushipunk on Mar-27-2021 23:22:

TA is being weird. On the main forums page it's showing Zoso as the last poster, even though this thread is here with newer posts.

And when I read all the posts in this thread and go back to the COR page, this thread shows as having unread posts, even though it doesn't

Edit: And it shows Lira as the last poster in this thread, even though I've just made this post. Wtf.

Posted by Teezdalien on Mar-28-2021 01:40:

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
TA is being weird. On the main forums page it's showing Zoso as the last poster, even though this thread is here with newer posts.

And when I read all the posts in this thread and go back to the COR page, this thread shows as having unread posts, even though it doesn't

Edit: And it shows Lira as the last poster in this thread, even though I've just made this post. Wtf.

I thought it was just me! I don't post all that often but I got the same sort of thing after I posted in production studio yesterday... I couldn't log out after repeated attempts last night, clearing my cache etc. but somehow managed to log out this morning. Pretty weird..

Posted by Sushipunk on Mar-28-2021 06:28:

quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
I thought it was just me! I don't post all that often but I got the same sort of thing after I posted in production studio yesterday... I couldn't log out after repeated attempts last night, clearing my cache etc. but somehow managed to log out this morning. Pretty weird..

Grant, mate, what's up! Hope you're good.

Yeah, def not you. It's still tweaky now. TA v1.99999

Posted by Teezdalien on Mar-28-2021 10:35:

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
Grant, mate, what's up! Hope you're good.

Yeah, def not you. It's still tweaky now. TA v1.99999

Yeah I'm pretty good mate. Things feel like they're slowly getting back to some kind of normalcy.

Just got myself an e-scooter to get around on. It's sick!
How's things up your way?

Posted by Zoso on Mar-28-2021 10:51:

Hope everything improves for you, Lira. The forums started acting wonky for me last week. Sometimes multiple browser refreshes would take care of it. I assumed it was just me and the way Chrome handled session cookies after an update, or something. JFC, speaking of updates, the March cumulative security update for Windows completely fucked up printing. I was ready to seek out another career after two weeks of that shit, treating every single print job as "custom," essentially. We finally found that a Type 4 driver worked for all image based jobs, and anything that needed a PCL driver needed either Type 4 or a Generic UFR II for Canon. Get your shit together, Microsoft. We're definitely well into March in Middle TN, getting wave after wave of rain and severe weather. The wild turkeys have showed back up, and we have a pair of geese laying over at the "lake," which is really a big ass pond.

Posted by JEO on Mar-28-2021 13:03:

[snip -Swamper]

To be fair, caching and cache invalidation are some of the more difficult and potentially hazardous things in tech. It's the main reason we so seldom even think of caching and just prefer automatic scaling like it's gonna solve all our performance problems. It's just too easy to shoot your foot off with it. Thousands of users getting stale resources for a day without us being able to do anything about it is much worse than a few spikes in auto-scaling.

Posted by planetaryplayer on Mar-28-2021 17:47:

i had to call 911 because my shit smelt so bad

Posted by Zoso on Mar-28-2021 18:01:

quote:
Originally posted by planetaryplayer
i had to call 911 because my shit smelt so bad

Why fart and waste it, when you can burp and taste it?

Posted by Swamper on Mar-28-2021 20:23:

quote:
Originally posted by JEO
To be fair, caching and cache invalidation are some of the more difficult and potentially hazardous things in tech. It's the main reason we so seldom even think of caching and just prefer automatic scaling like it's gonna solve all our performance problems. It's just too easy to shoot your foot off with it. Thousands of users getting stale resources for a day without us being able to do anything about it is much worse than a few spikes in auto-scaling.

Fixed. I was mucking around with nginx and messed that up. Thx

Posted by KilldaDJ on Apr-01-2021 12:59:

im moving house and crates of vinyl is heavy. i dread the day i have to sell it all lol

Posted by Zoso on Apr-01-2021 13:01:

quote:
Originally posted by KilldaDJ
im moving house and crates of vinyl is heavy. i dread the day i have to sell it all lol

Plot twist: you convert it all to high quality lossless files, make it available for free to all TA COR regulars, and call it KilldaDJ's Big Surprise (TM)!

Posted by KilldaDJ on Apr-01-2021 14:40:

quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
Plot twist: you convert it all to high quality lossless files, make it available for free to all TA COR regulars, and call it KilldaDJ's Big Surprise (TM)!

i think the surprise will be the RIAA knocking on my door

Posted by Zoso on Apr-01-2021 14:46:

quote:
i think the surprise will be the RIAA knocking on my door

They went out of business, I heard.

Posted by Lira on Apr-02-2021 07:44:

I've just discovered "To the Lake" on Netflix. Really awesome, although the plot is a bit far-fetched: during a flu-like deadly outbreak in Moscow, two families-and-a-half that hate each other's guts flee together to Karelia.

It's pretty thrilling, and quite ominous, given that it was shot before the pandemic. But, after 2020, the sheer thought of people avoiding a plague like the plague just isn't convincing any more
quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
Just got myself an e-scooter to get around on. It's sick!

Hah, I'd totally rock one of these on campus.
quote:
Originally posted by Zoso
Hope everything improves for you, Lira.

Thanks. I've mentioned to a few TAs on Facebook that it's been bittersweet: on the one hand, my mother-in-law had to be hospitalised, and my wife is with her in the COVID ward because of the language barrier. On the other hand, she's been making a steady progress and it seems my wife has successfully dodged the virus so far.

The doctors say she should be okay in a couple of weeks or so. She's responding well to the treatment

Posted by Zoso on Apr-02-2021 11:47:

That's awesome that she is responding to treatment, Lira. We're finally getting to the point in my part of Tennessee that normal/non-high risk groups can request the vaccine. My wife's oncologist still hasn't given her a yay or nay yet, so that still worries us. Me being vaccinated will have no useful bearing on potentially exposing her. In fact, it will likely make it more likely, as my employer will want us to start coming back to the office, post vaccination. And the county I worked in, when we drove in to the office, has far more cases than the county I live (and now work) in.

Posted by JEO on Apr-02-2021 13:31:

Torille.

Posted by Midlothian on Apr-02-2021 14:02:

Moomins

Posted by KilldaDJ on Apr-02-2021 19:43:

spent the whole day running around for plumbing parts, cleaning a really disgusting kitchen thats 2mm thicc with years of grease/food fats. replaced a euro cylinder lock and fought with a toilet seat. yeah im not enjoying this 'buy your first house' farce that everyone harps on about. i should have just paid a third party to rinse the place lol

Posted by SYSTEM-J on Apr-03-2021 12:13:

quote:
cleaning a really disgusting kitchen thats 2mm thicc with years of grease/food fats.

Yep, I had exactly the same situation. We also found rotting potatoes and pet food under the cupboards and cat shit under the cooker. Oh, and the whole house was infested with fleas which woke up in spring and bit us to death for months before I could exterminate them. People live like fucking animals.

Posted by Silky Johnson on Apr-03-2021 15:06:

What the fuck. Barf.

Posted by KilldaDJ on Apr-03-2021 21:18:

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Yep, I had exactly the same situation. We also found rotting potatoes and pet food under the cupboards and cat shit under the cooker. Oh, and the whole house was infested with fleas which woke up in spring and bit us to death for months before I could exterminate them. People live like fucking animals.

disgraceful. what the fuck is wrong with people?

spent another day today doing more de-greasing of the kitchen. the caked on grease is pretty much everywhere. even INSIDE the kitchen cabinets. all yellowed with grease from the burnt shit spewing out of the unit. they've never ever cleaned the oven so whatever they cooked in there was just burning. i cant imagine anything coming out of that oven tasted good. it would have been all smokey and greasy. fucking disgusting. whats worse is the property has this air circulation system which circulates the air from room to room. so yeah, extremely greasy kitchen been sucking up the fat and shit and supplying the rest of the property with it.

so im gonna be spending the next few weeks/months extracting the grease from the whole property.

fortunately i dont do much greasy cooking at all so over time, it should get cleaner the longer i reside in it.

i suspect the previous tenant was straight out of parents house, he wasnt very old, early 20s, zero cleaning experience/lazy fuck.

warning graphic images of the oven racks and the oven hood thats been soaked in a bag of oven pride:

the oven hood:

now imagine that being pretty much painted around in the kitchen and into the tiles and grouting and all up the cabinets and walls. thats what im dealing with. absolutely minging.

Posted by Zoso on Apr-04-2021 10:54:

JFC. Laziness truly knows no bounds. Being in a small town/rural area of the Southeast US, I can describe to you a certain segment of the population: there's a subset that has, over time, due to a convergence of circumstances (education and socio-economic status mainly) have grown up living off the government, essentially. These people raise their next generation with an eye towards doing (or not doing) whatever it takes to secure that government check each month. Now, don't get me wrong...I'm pretty liberal, especially for such a Republican areas of the US. But a lot of these people are perfectly capable of working and earning more than they would just relying on the government check. In fact, most of these people work harder at avoiding work than they would if they just worked a normal retail job, or something. I don't know how you correct that sort of mentality that's been so bred into people.