return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Hard Trance kicks! best way to make em..??
View this Thread in Original format
SgtFoo
I'm into some hard trance production. I like the sound of the common kicks that you hear in most hard trance.... I wanna tweak it a bit.
How do u get the kicks they use? (it sounds like heavy un-dampenned reverb) btw: I'm using FL3.56
Etherium
Buy a good sample CD.:toothless
SAGE2635
or you could try "Stomper"... ive been playing with it lately to make some new kicks and its very effective. It may takes a while to get your head around the "modelling" in stomper but once you understand it you can make any kick sound you can think of.

Or just find a good kick sample and send it through a compressor trying different settings until you get what you like.... you should try setting a slow attack on the compressor. That gives you the mucho thumping thudness needed to shake the speakers with. :D

good luck!
arctic
im really cut up on making tha heavy, meaty kinda kick from most airbase songs (eg: the airbase mix of a & b's far from in love, yel- sun is coming out, cosmic gate - milky way etc.), i cant get it :p
TraNcerke
Take a good fat 909 sample or synthesise one yourself and mess around with the compressor untill you get that typical in your face punch.
modular
quote:
Originally posted by TraNcerke
Take a good fat 909 sample or synthesise one yourself and mess around with the compressor untill you get that typical in your face punch.

agreed
arctic
thats what i have been doing, but i can never get that punchy yet streched boom......i got close today, but it wasnt hard enough :P.....ill just try layering some more samples over it. this is becoming my mission in life ;)
xls
The "stretched boom" you're looking for comes from a gated reverb (or sometimes a reverse reverb). Try chaining the effects like this (you'll need to do it from your seqencer to get the timing right):

1) Distortion - not too much or you'll end up with a Gabber kick.

2) Multi-band compressor (ie. Waves C4) - get the tone you want. Try boosting your high mids to give it nice punch.

3) Reverb (again, Waves has a decent reverb unit but I can't remember what it's called) - if you don't time it to your BPM it'll sound wierd

4) Compressor (Waves RCL rocks or their C1 is good too) - push those levels up and make it loud! Try a quick attack, lower your threshold, a ratio of about 4:1, and then boost your gain by the same amount you've lowered your threshold.

(As you can see I love the Waves plugins)
Once you've got the sound you want, export or record it as audio so you don't use up valuable CPU resources in your sequencer.

If all else fails, just sample an Uberdruck kick. It's more fun to try to make your own though... :D

[edit]forgot to mention you can start with just a hard 909[/edit]
coby
OK.. if u wana make your one kick sounds try waldorf attack vst, its good for that.

Now for a good kick.. first of all u need a good sample, one that u got or one that u made.. ( i prefer one that i got :) )
If the kick is soft add a compressor.. add an EQ and up the mid, alittle the high and play with the low 2 see what fits..
u can alsow add reverb, make it short and u can also put a little pre delay ( sounds good :wtf: )

Hope i helped u .. Coby ;)
arctic
quote:
Originally posted by xls
The "stretched boom" you're looking for comes from a gated reverb (or sometimes a reverse reverb). Try chaining the effects like this (you'll need to do it from your seqencer to get the timing right):

1) Distortion - not too much or you'll end up with a Gabber kick.

2) Multi-band compressor (ie. Waves C4) - get the tone you want. Try boosting your high mids to give it nice punch.

3) Reverb (again, Waves has a decent reverb unit but I can't remember what it's called) - if you don't time it to your BPM it'll sound wierd

4) Compressor (Waves RCL rocks or their C1 is good too) - push those levels up and make it loud! Try a quick attack, lower your threshold, a ratio of about 4:1, and then boost your gain by the same amount you've lowered your threshold.

(As you can see I love the Waves plugins)
Once you've got the sound you want, export or record it as audio so you don't use up valuable CPU resources in your sequencer.

If all else fails, just sample an Uberdruck kick. It's more fun to try to make your own though... :D

[edit]forgot to mention you can start with just a hard 909[/edit]

YIKES

thanks for all that, im giving it a try now :eyespop:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement