return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Thinking of getting Traktor Kontrol X1 but...
View this Thread in Original format
djshire
So I want to get into digital djing. I have very little money to do so. I wouldn't be djing out anytime soon, and could use my Mac Mini as the host computer. I'd mostly be making mixes to put up on Mixcloud.

Now, I started learning on vinyl, decided on CDs (and currently have a pair of Pioneer CDJ 400s and an Allen and Heath Xone 22), and I'm looking for a more "traditional" (no sync) way of playing.

I was looking at getting Traktor and an X1 MK2. I've found mappings that would allow me to use it for a lot of the same things that I would get a Z1 for, but is there going to be anything that I would be missing/short falls from only using the X1?

Also, would my PreSonus Firestudio Mobile function the same as getting a dedicated djing interface?
DJ RANN
You've kind of got everything you need already, apart from traktor software. Your 400's have HID so can control traktor directly.

The X1 mk2 is good if you really need the extra controls but as this is your first foray in to DVS/Digital mixing, give it a go by itself first.

Now you are meant to buy a dedicated/certified Traktor audio interface but see my thread (also in the DJ booth) about how to hack traktor to work with any sound card.

you presonus has enough outputs so all you need is to get the software and follow the tutorial.

Let me know if you need any pointers?
Freak
X1 mk2 or an F1 - both with maps from midi monsters, which will get the very best out of them,
Looney4Clooney
I use it as a remote for Vic. Bomes midi translated, I ike the colours the buttons make.
DJ Sarah H
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
You've kind of got everything you need already, apart from traktor software. Your 400's have HID so can control traktor directly.

The X1 mk2 is good if you really need the extra controls but as this is your first foray in to DVS/Digital mixing, give it a go by itself first.

Now you are meant to buy a dedicated/certified Traktor audio interface but see my thread (also in the DJ booth) about how to hack traktor to work with any sound card.

you presonus has enough outputs so all you need is to get the software and follow the tutorial.

Let me know if you need any pointers?

*EDIT* oppps I misread your post DJ Rann... I thought you meant you needed the soundcard for the CDJs, on reading again you mean for the X1 / F1 :) - *EDIT*

You wont need a sound card with the CDJ400's
The 400s have their own sound cards, all you need to do is hook up the 400s to traktor via HID, in traktor select external routing and set each deck up as in deck A to cdj1 and deck B to cdj 2.
You may need to get ASIO4ALL (which is free)
Just hook the cdjs up to the mixer in the normal way and done. you can now use the CDJs to control traktor, and the sound is outputted via the mixer :)

I have my CDJ2000s hooked up to traktor in this exact way, so no need for a separate sound card or time code cds :)
djshire
My problem is space and distance. I have no room on my desk to put my CDJs, which are across the room.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement