return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

 
Dvs upgrade advice (summer 2014)
View this Thread in Original format
miamitranceman
Hey all.

So I've been using Torq since it was released way back in late 06-early 07. I've had no major complaints with it after all these years, but I'm looking to modernize my setup for external control Dvs.

I have 2 CDJ-800 mk2 and, notably, an Ecler Evo 5, which essentially has an audio 8 built in and was traktor scratch native when it came out through FireWire. I'm assuming it's compatible with newer traktor versions, although I may need an adaptor since FireWire isn't used much anymore.

I've casually monitored the evolving dvs options. I know serato and traktor are still the kings, but am I correct in saying traktor has pulled ahead these days a bit?

Aside from the mixer-native functionality, what would you all recommend for summer 2014 Dvs upgrade? Again, this would be for external control.

Not looking to start a fanboy war. Just looking for user opinions.

Thanks!
DJ RANN
I think if you ask 100 right now which has pulled ahead you'd get two answers.

Serato interfaces are much better quality than Traktor and many argue that the interface is much more intuitive especially since the addition of rekordbox sync with serato. The SL4 now supports 4 decks so the argument of traktor doing more decks is now obsolete.

However, Traktor is better for FX chains.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Serato just as I hate FX apart from sparingly and the traktor GUI looked like a camouflage color-scheme fisher price software.

Both do the same thing, CDJ's work great with either.

Firewire is still around and you may need an adaptor of sorts but it shouldn't stop you from using it. I might be nervous if you were gigging with it as FW can be flakey with burning out ports and it's never a good idea to rely on adapters in crucial situations, but for home where it's going to plugged and left, no problem at all.
miamitranceman
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
I think if you ask 100 right now which has pulled ahead you'd get two answers.

Serato interfaces are much better quality than Traktor and many argue that the interface is much more intuitive especially since the addition of rekordbox sync with serato. The SL4 now supports 4 decks so the argument of traktor doing more decks is now obsolete.

However, Traktor is better for FX chains.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Serato just as I hate FX apart from sparingly and the traktor GUI looked like a camouflage color-scheme fisher price software.

Both do the same thing, CDJ's work great with either.

Firewire is still around and you may need an adaptor of sorts but it shouldn't stop you from using it. I might be nervous if you were gigging with it as FW can be flakey with burning out ports and it's never a good idea to rely on adapters in crucial situations, but for home where it's going to plugged and left, no problem at all.


Thanks for the response!

Yeah the Ecler stays at home. That's my baby. :D

I was leaning Serato as well. It does seems the interface is more up to date. I assume I could still use my mixer as an audio interface with it? (Traktor would be "native" with my mixer but it's not a deal breaker for me). For what it's worth I also have a pioneer ddj wego (talk about opposite ends of the spectrum I know) that I use for casual apartment parties. It came with a free download for serato Dj so I'm thinking serato would be better geared for that controller as well.

Anyone else have their two cents on the issue?
DJ RANN
No, you can't use the audio interface that's in the Ecler with serato.

With Serato, you're buying the interface to work with their software.

There is actually a way to hack Traktor to work with any souncard of your choice, but unfortunately, there's no way to do it with serato yet.

TBH, there's really not that much difference between the two. They both track well, they both have a lot of features etc.

Personally, I just prefer the serato GUI and my (albiet limited) experience) has always felt that Serato was so rock solid.

I've got both timecoded vinyls at home so when I get a serato interface, I may hack Traktor to work with it and see which I truly prefer!

I'd say go to a guitar center, bring some track and see which one you like more.
PaULiN0
I beg to differ with traktor. The majority of A/B testers on the rane forums and NI forums say traktor has better sound quality. With serato you galvanic isolation from your laptop because of how much noise it makes and you have only 2 sample rates to choose from instead of 4 with the SL4 and A6-10. Imho, they both get the job done. If you want fancy FX get traktor but don't discourage it just because of its gui layout and use of FX. If you want something more simpler get serato.

An SL4 used would cost you 400 and is hard to come by. They usually come with RCA cables Time code cds, vinyl things you already have.

A used a10 250$
PaULiN0
Your actually better of selling your 800 mk2's and getting 850's or a used 1200's lol.
DJ RANN
quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
I beg to differ with traktor. The majority of A/B testers on the rane forums and NI forums say traktor has better sound quality.


Nah, depending on which forum you go to you get different results; A lot of people were comparing the SL1 to the AudioX interfaces and we all know the SL1 really doesn't sound that good.

Specs wise, there's nothing in it between the the AudioX range and the SL3, however, there is a somewhat unanimous consensus that the SL4 sounds better than the NI hardware, but then again, it should as it's bloody expensive and even then, a good $300 prosumer audio interface like my Echo Audiofire sounds on par with the SL4, so based on just pure hardware, you're not actually getting a good deal (but then again you can't really look at it like that as you're paying for the serato system).

quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
With serato you galvanic isolation from your laptop because of how much noise it makes and you have only 2 sample rates to choose from instead of 4 with the SL4 and A6-10.

I don't quite understand what you're saying - the SL2,3 and 4 all have galvanic isolation in that they are essentially ground isolated thus internal noise from your laptop can't be transferred. This is a good thing.

The SL1, 2 and 3 use only two sample rate, the sl4 can do four, and I can't see why you'd need more options that just 44 or 96, even with video/broadcast in mind. I think NI just added other sample rates because it was a function of the DAC/driver that already existed.

quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
Imho, they both get the job done. If you want fancy FX get traktor but don't discourage it just because of its gui layout and use of FX. If you want something more simpler get serato.


Agreed. Personally, I hate most FX and the serato interface has just been so well laid out. I know you can customize both GUI's to suit but out of the box, Serato just does what it should.

quote:
Originally posted by PaULiN0
An SL4 used would cost you 400 and is hard to come by. They usually come with RCA cables Time code cds, vinyl things you already have.

A used a10 250$


There's a big price difference there, but if I could find one for $400, I'd be all over an SL4.

My local DJ store offered me a used one but like new (and with new control vinyl) with a two year warranty for $650. May have to bite....
PaULiN0
quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN



There's a big price difference there, but if I could find one for $400, I'd be all over an SL4.

My local DJ store offered me a used one but like new (and with new control vinyl) with a two year warranty for $650. May have to bite....


Yes, for 650 that deal is quite the bargain. The GAL isolation is a good thing yes and traktor doesn't have it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
 
Privacy Statement