return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion

Pages: [1] 2 
Nitro [trance/techno/fast moving transportation music]
View this Thread in Original format
Sand Leaper
FINALLY got this sucker mixed.

I thought I wouldn't be doing any more of the "trance the way I like it" sets anymore, as I've done a bunch of them here on TA already, but there was just one more of them left I had to get out of my system. The result turned out to be a very slow-burning mix, which I would imagine suiting perfectly to any hurtling drive, train ride or similar journey. It flirts more with psy trance than normal, and as such is a bit more multilayered than what I'm usually all about trancewise (but still, I would say, very stripped down for psy trance). Then the last half of hour or so is just a big barrage of bass drums and percussion, just the way I like it.

Sand Leaper - Nitro 230412

Loco & Jam - Esadio [Respekt - RSPKT 037]
Nat Monday - Waiting (Medway Remix) [Distinctive - DISN 179]
Philo - Backflash [Avalanche - AVAL 05]
Healium - How Deep Can We Go [Bullbeat - BUR 014]
Atmos - Defending Team [Planet B.E.N. - PBR2CD 025]
Jairus Miller - Bending Lightwave [Source Of Gravity Digital - SOFGDIGI 059]
Matthew Wieck - Worlds Beyond [Altered Moods - AMR 30M]
Opilion VI - Vertigo (PAL One Remix) [Phantom - PH 010]
Steve Moore - Zero-Point Field [L.I.E.S. - LIES 003]
Miika Kuisma - Singularity [Subtraxx - SXXDDCD 102]
Pablo Gael - Gyroscope [Progrez - PRG-2011-096]
Manuel Arenas - Spanish Rose (Bario Dub Mix) [Silverstar - SILVER 002]
Chab - Matica (Zion Mix) [Platipus - PLATMU 49]
Martin White - In My Mind [Technoland - TL 023]
Tristan vs The Antidote - Identified [Nano - NANODIGI 014]
Headroom - Vistarama (Polaris Remix) [Neurobiotic - NBRCD 028]
U-Recken - Dominator [Planet B.E.N. - PBRDIGI 017]
ManMadeMan - Hoax Trigger [Nano - NANOCD 011CD]
Squaremeat - Shinkansen (Remix) [Exogenic - EXOCD 26]
Astral Projection - Free Tibet [Transient - TRANR 607CD]
Arronax & Somnesia - Black Hole (Extended Trip) [Neogoa.tk - NEOG001]
Afgin - Cosmic Meditate [Kagdila - KAGCD24]
Headman - Butterfly (Zart Remix) [Millenium - MILL 027-2-CD]
The Third Man - Bit Pattern (Mad Child Remix) [R135 Tracks - R135EP 0029]
Scan Carriers - Autokick [Bellboy - BL 024]
Kontrasequenz - Eigenzeitintervall [Sixtone - COSMOCD01]
Return Of The Native - Submission [B-Limited - BLCD 2006001]
Second Sun - Empire (Original Mix) [Vandit - VANDIT 16]
Dave Angel - Sound & Light [Jericho - JEL 004]
Argonout - Cut 'n Groove [Cyber - CD 043]
Metalogic - The Lost Parameter [Boshke Beats - BBS 08]
Mike Parker - Subterranean Liquid [Prologue - PRG 017]
Reeko - Momentum [Polegroup - POLEGROUP 011]
Cabarete Groove - Omni On Poly (Perc Remix) [Machine Box - MBR 031]
Raffaele Attanasio - From Shade To Stardom (Psyk Edit) [Non Series - NON 001]
Ricky Le Roy - Dancer (Club Mix) [Media - MR 1349-28]
Underworld - Kittens [JBO/V2 - JBO1005438]
Technasia - Sounds Of Solar Oscillations [Technasia - TA 104CD]

Download here
SYSTEM-J
In, but some file size/running time information wouldn't go amiss.
Sand Leaper
Set clocks in at 2 h 45 mins. I promise, this is the last marathon set I'll upload here for a while. My mix for the genre challenge will be a good start to changing that trend.
Lews
Downloading. Hopefully I can get around to it soon, always enjoy your sets :)
Teezdalien
quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
I thought I wouldn't be doing any more of the "trance the way I like it" sets anymore, as I've done a bunch of them here on TA already, but there was just one more of them left I had to get out of my system.

Well I for one think it would be a shame if this is the last trance mix you put together for us. You know you do them well, this mix is no exception. I know you probably have other stuff in mind you'd rather focus on and bombarding this forum with same-ey mixes is far from your style, but it's nice to see straightforward trance/tech sets once in a while when they're as good as they are.
There were a couple of transitions in this I felt were a little jarring, couldn't honestly tell you which ones now though, but yeah this is for the most part another excellently executed mix.
Sand Leaper
quote:
Originally posted by Teezdalien
Well I for one think it would be a shame if this is the last trance mix you put together for us. You know you do them well, this mix is no exception. I know you probably have other stuff in mind you'd rather focus on and bombarding this forum with same-ey mixes is far from your style, but it's nice to see straightforward trance/tech sets once in a while when they're as good as they are.

Thanks, appreciate that. Yeah, I don't think I'll stop doing them completely, but it's a kind of mix that I've done more than anything else, and I've always been about taking these mixes into new directions. It's pretty much the only way I can stand out in the torrent of sets that flood this forum every day, even if mine are generally quite good.

quote:

There were a couple of transitions in this I felt were a little jarring, couldn't honestly tell you which ones now though, but yeah this is for the most part another excellently executed mix.

The mix does get rough around the edges in the middle, as it gets increasingly tricky to fit the tracks in when there's so much going on. I feel quite happy with the mixing otherwise, though. There aren't any of those few obvious mistakes that I always seemed to end up with up till this point. Cheers for listening, as always.
Echo of Silence
quote:
Originally posted by Sand Leaper
...which I would imagine suiting perfectly to any hurtling drive, train ride or similar journey.

Hi, Jan Henrik. So I first listened to this set in full yesterday on a rather bumpy 5 hr flight aboard a hard and cold military aircraft. I'm not sure how suitable the music was, filling me with bouncy bounce bounce, pulsating beats... oh yes, I wanna dance dance dance, wheeeee! I think this set is perfect for a sunny steamy sweaty bbq-patio-pool party!!

:tongue3

It seems like the challenge to making a set this size is track selection and arrangement. I'm so impressed with your ability to fill a 3 hour journey with so much energy and excitement. One is never bored.

Thank you for putting this together and sharing.

:D
Sand Leaper
quote:
Originally posted by Echo of Silence
Hi, Jan Henrik. So I first listened to this set in full yesterday on a rather bumpy 5 hr flight aboard a hard and cold military aircraft. I'm not sure how suitable the music was, filling me with bouncy bounce bounce, pulsating beats... oh yes, I wanna dance dance dance, wheeeee! I think this set is perfect for a sunny steamy sweaty bbq-patio-pool party!!

:tongue3

It seems like the challenge to making a set this size is track selection and arrangement. I'm so impressed with your ability to fill a 3 hour journey with so much energy and excitement. One is never bored.

Thank you for putting this together and sharing.

:D

Haha, thanks, as always, for the enthusiasm! A BBQ/pool party? Sunny? Seems like an awfully dark and hectic soundtrack to go with for such an occasion, but hey, if it works, who am I to complain?

I've always wondered if the more minimal and mellow parts of the set would retain energy and interest for a larger crowd, as you said it did for you. Especially in this day and age when DJs generally get about one hour to bang out the latest floorfillers from their own or their mates' labels and nothing more.
SYSTEM-J
I listened to this on the train down to Birmingham yesterday, and had to cut it off with about 40 minutes still to go. This is the problem with marathon sets, there's very little opportunity to listen to them closely enough to give good feedback.

I did enjoy this a lot, especially when it kicked off into riotous day-glo madness in the middle, and the way you built and maintained momentum was very impressive. Lots of great tracks and as usual a ridiculous amount of crate-digging is obvious from the tracklist.

A couple of issues I would raise - I think the second track doesn't make any sense where it is. That Loco & Jam opener sets the mix off with plenty of momentum, which you immediately kill with a vocal track and need to build up again. I don't get why you played it so early, rather than five or six tracks in. Also, that chiptune piano weirdness thing that bookmarks the end of the psychedelic section. Yes, I get that it's a deliberate punctuation mark in the set signalling a change of direction, but I think it throws an entire toolbox into the works in terms of flow. It just doesn't fit what comes before or what follows.
Sand Leaper
quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I listened to this on the train down to Birmingham yesterday, and had to cut it off with about 40 minutes still to go. This is the problem with marathon sets, there's very little opportunity to listen to them closely enough to give good feedback.

Yeah, this will be the last "marathon" mix I put up. It really is too much to ask people to dedicate three hours or so of their listening time to something I just threw together on my laptop, considering that there are so many other mixes by real DJs out there to listen to. I need to be less self indulgent. Thanks for taking the time out to listen despite that, though. I really appreciate it.

quote:

That Loco & Jam opener sets the mix off with plenty of momentum, which you immediately kill with a vocal track and need to build up again. I don't get why you played it so early, rather than five or six tracks in.

It was by design. The scenario I had in mind for the this mix would be that I'd be following another DJ in the peak time slot (or a warm up DJ who didn't do his or her job properly). I'd have to kick off the mix strong to follow him or her and not kill the hype completely, yet take it down several notches quickly afterwards to avoid burning out the crowd before setting up my own peak. Again, might be a bit self indulgent considering that this is a home listening affair, but I always think in dancefloor terms for mixes like these, as that's what this music is designed for.

quote:

Also, that chiptune piano weirdness thing that bookmarks the end of the psychedelic section. Yes, I get that it's a deliberate punctuation mark in the set signalling a change of direction, but I think it throws an entire toolbox into the works in terms of flow. It just doesn't fit what comes before or what follows.

Yeah, listening back, it does stick out like a sore thumb. I can't really think of any context where it wouldn't, however. There's such a strange combination of elements within the track, but that's exactly why I like it so much. I figured since I was heading into more banging techno-inspired material shortly afterwards anyway, I could perhaps get away with it.

Vector A
Looks promising. DLing.

Interested to hear "Kittens" in a mix, always liked that track but had never seen anyone use it before.
Mr Game+Watch
This is awesome so far, the flow is really good and there's some class tunes, a lot of it unfamiliar to me. I almost lost it @ 1h13m! Cool to see you give support to Mike Parker too (he was my Studio in Art professor in college).
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement