return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Novation SL MKII
View this Thread in Original format
Jimb0b
I was thinking of getting a Novation 61 SL MK2 and/or a Novation Zero SL mkII, but on a thread I read on here recently there was a lot of hate towards these. Is it mainly because of the AutoCrap software, or because of the device itself?

Ive never used the automap software, or either of these devices so am not sure where all the hate is coming from.

If automap IS the problem, then can you simply just not use it, or does that limit the capabilities of the device in some way ?

Any help appreciated.
djbruuen
If you've never used the product before, why wold you make an ignorant comment like 'autocrap.' Create your own opinions based on experience rather than having other people do it for you.

Anyways, i have the old remote sl, use automap and everything works fine and I found it's been quite handy having everything premapped ready to go when entering a project. I haven't experienced the problems others have mentioned. You can of course use the hardware without automap and it will still work.
Jimb0b
quote:
Originally posted by djbruuen
why wold you make an ignorant comment like 'autocrap.'

Calm down sweetheart, I was purely relaying how it was referenced to as "Autocrap" in the post that I read. You not a Novation PR guy are you? Go and have a fag and coffee and come back when youve chilled out!

Peace! :D
Julz
quote:
Originally posted by Jimb0b
I was thinking of getting a Novation 61 SL MK2 and/or a Novation Zero SL mkII, but on a thread I read on here recently there was a lot of hate towards these. Is it mainly because of the AutoCrap software, or because of the device itself?

Ive never used the automap software, or either of these devices so am not sure where all the hate is coming from.

If automap IS the problem, then can you simply just not use it, or does that limit the capabilities of the device in some way ?

Any help appreciated.

The keyboard is nice in general, just automap is the only problem + the annoying automap vst duplication it does.

Question is do you really need assignable faders and knobs? If not get something else
chris marsh
i had one (think it was a mk1) and didnt get on with it personally

i don't like automap - i found it convoluted and you need to "wrap" all plug ins to get them to work. On my system many plug ins were not showing up wrapped.

also i found it hard to set up as a standard midi controller if you dont want to use automap, like i couldn't use it with quick controls in cubase so i went back to the emu xboard!
cryophonik
+1 to Julz and Chris' remarks.

One other thing that I don't like about Novation (and Roland, etc.) keyboard controllers is the combination modwheel/pitch controller that seems to have become the standard nowadays. I prefer having separate wheels for these, but that's just personal preference.
tehlord
Badly built rubbish imo (I once had an SL49 mk2)

I think realistically most (but not all) people will only ever use 2-3 assigned controls, and you don't need something bloated like automap to do that.

My money would go on an Axiom (non pro) 61 or maybe an MPK61
LoveHate
I like the keys.
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by LoveHate
I like the keys.

So do I.
jsrobinson
I like the keys on my SLMK2 61 a lot. Automap is a little weird in the way it works, but it seems to be bug free with the versions I've installed. It works for what I need.

...Though, is the X-Y pad on anyone elses SLMK2 as terrible as mine? It's basically useless. I've thought of cracking the keyboard open to swap it out for a track pad or something else cool... but I'm not sure how easy the keyboard would be to put back together.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement