return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Ok seriously, wtf is this sound called? (mid bass)
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Robby Rox
I don't think anyone will know how to make this mid bass but its definitely the sound I'm going for myself, among other sounds. Like I said I've just gotten bored/tired of saw basses and am leaning towards a more aggressive FM type of sound, or in this case... I have no idea how this sound is made. But it looks like it was made from an amateur youtube user who uses FL and it came out pretty solid.

Is it in acid? sync? fm?

I notice, and I may be wrong. It actually sounds like the sound is one long sustain sound, but the part that sounds like a mid bass is some sort of automation that is creating those resonant spikes that in the track sounds like notes of the mid bass hitting.
Its not a typical mid bass where the notes hit individually, like I said it sounds like an automation and if you listen carefully he is also automating other parameters that sounds like a very sharp gate over the long sustain areas (in a groove fashion that makes it sound like small notes, but it still sounds like 1 long sustain sound a bar long or w/e).

But its definitely automation I think. Please don't tell me its just a distorted saw because its not. It sounds like a sync or acid, but does ANYONE KNOW how to get that sound?

I pm'd the youtube user and he hasn't got back yet lol. I need to learn how to make those edgy sounds so I can build some sort of foundation from it.
Zombie0729
the formant sound?
Looney4Clooney
that sound isn't part of the bass. I think you have trouble hearing things. And yes it is a simple sync synth with filtering. Thats it. Massive has sounds like this in the presets. SO does the virus.
HPF+distortion. Youre a Reason user, Subtractor can do it easily.
Zombie0729
do you have a better audio example? 128k youtube compression really smashes frequencies together and shouldn't be a reference point for your music... (and sound design).

Looney4Clooney - how are ya man, good to hear from you!
EddieZilker
Are you talking about that one arpeggiated synth that's sort of doing its own thing in the stereo center?
Looney4Clooney
i think he is talking about the syncopated synth that appears right at the beginning that sort of complements the bass.
asdfg
90% sure it's an FM sound (probably from v-station)

edit: do people even watch the tutorial videos that get posted here?
Magnus
I live for these types acidic midbasses and use them heavily in many of my productions. I've gotten the best results using my Virus or Zebra 2.
DJ Robby Rox
Yeh its the syncopated one that comes in from the begining.

The "mid bass", I mean isn't that what you'd call it? Appears to play the role of one.
There seems to be a bit of confusion though. Some people are saying its a sync, others are saying FM. I need to know which it actually is that way I can at least start watching some tuts on that sound.

I know what knobs lead to sync/fm sounds and feel like pro-53 or subtractor would be a good starting point. Although I never got that type of tone from any sync patches I made before. So hopefully I'll get a response from the guy who made it.

Also, for the person mentioning v-station tuts. They all suck. I don't need to know how to make a supersaw, house bass sound, classic trance leads, electro bass, deadmau5 chords, or any of the basic tuts youtube actually has. I need an advanced tut on FM synthesis, or doing syncs. If anyone knows of any that are out there, PLEASE let me know. Otherwise I'm just going to go back and keep failing like I always have. Syncs are not hard, but he's doing something most people don't to their syncs. My virus has a lot of great acid/sync presets, but again none that sound even close to that sound.

I want to learn this stuff, but like I said its not as simple as people make it. Theres only so many ways to sync a sound, and all the results sound like a typical boring sync. Just never heard any preset that sounds even close to this vid. So anyone saying its easy then show me how easy it really is lol.

DJ Robby Rox
quote:
Originally posted by Magnus
I live for these types acidic midbasses and use them heavily in many of my productions. I've gotten the best results using my Virus or Zebra 2.

Ok thanks. I have both a virus snow and zebra but think I'll try zebra first. Only because I find programming easier in it.

I'll go see if theres any tuts on this on youtube although I doubt it.
Andy28
Hey robby :)

How many z3tas did you use in this?

CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement