return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 
So, how long did it take you to get a first release? (pg. 3)
View this Thread in Original format
JEO
Yes, but WHOSE?

Also, extremely rare in the production studio.
Kismet7
About 4 years of working on music and watching from the sidelines. I think it was the best thing for me, just having fun working on music and not having an outlet, so it pushed me to improve my craft. Even though I was making release worthy stuff about 2 years before my first release and could have been much farther along right now. I got some nice Prog and Techno sitting around that probably wont see the light of day but could have done well for me if I had some connection to getting them out there. I never sent them out because I didn't think anyone would sign them at the time...

A Month after sending out my first demos, my first EP was picked up by nice house label, that I guess i'm growing with. Well i've done more for them than initial expectations. Thought after the first i'd have to start looking for another label for all future releases. Just finished my second remix for them, and now working on my 3rd EP for them. Also doing a single track for a fast rising label based in Canada that is now distributed by Kompakt's system. Which was a bit of an accident, as I hadn't sent the particular track to the label. I had sent it to one of my labelmates and he forwarded it the label, and they wanted to release it, I ended up sending them another track instead and they liked that so they're releasing that instead, the other track I might save for an album i'd like to work on in the near future.

So i'd say once you have your first release out, network. Don't wait around for someone to knock on your door, even if you are talented and make great music, no one will come asking until you've had a club hit or two. These labels get countless demos, especially if they are heavily charted labels by DJs. I wonder how many demos get solicited to the label I release on. Not only from their connections who have an advantage, but every producer and their mom standing behind them sends these labels demos. So the trick I guess is that you have to network or you have to scout out labels that might be best canidates for your music. Whether you are signed or unsigned, expect plenty ignorance of your demos, but if you believe in your music you gotta keep trying to send to the right people, and this doesn't have to be a label.
Kenny Rogers
so its about time to retire then after a long career?
Kismet7
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Rogers
so its about time to retire then after a long career?

not sure what you are on about...

If asking me...no I just started.
Kenny Rogers
was just kidding lol
mystik_luminate
I started out with beat production in about 2000, transitioning from DJing, to dueling grooveboxes with my brother... Since we were a Live PA band from the start, it took my brother and I several years before we could actually make decent songs in the studio...

We first started with Digital Performer which allowed us to make a few songs, but then quickly transitioned to Logic Pro at the time... That was a massive leap in technology and for our production skills and arrangements. We self-released some EPs within 2-3 years.

It took 5 years before getting released on some one else's label...(Keyframe Records)...with our first single on a compilation.

Ever since then, we've had steady single releases (Geomagnetic Records & La Magica Boutique) until 2010, but we've JUST NOW released our first full-length album...10 years later. WE did this one by ourselves also, and are now distributing online and on iTunes...

We are still interested in making contacts with other labels to release more from our substantial back catalog, but for the moment we just wanted to get our CD OUT...while controlling the information we put out and having some kind of oversight on revenues and statistics...

Boom!
Kismet7
quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Rogers
was just kidding lol

we're all just kidding on the internets ; )
DJLafleur
Been producing since june 2008,haven't had anything released on any labels but have had some of my work supported by a DJ or two :). I am working hard though to get some stuff released though.
Magnus
3 years. It finally happened one day after sending out tons of demos, which in my case were physical CDs, that I would mail abroad. A single reply came back and that was it. After that first one it was never as difficult. Just keep at it and be persistent and hit as many labels within your style of music as you can.
UXC
At least 3 years....will tell you when I do ;)

chrisspob
Took me 8 years before i even thought my stuff was good enough to send, i have 3 signed tracks now and have suport of some of the biggest dj/producers out there and won tune of the week on schulz's radio show too! I would holdback on sending stuff out to labels untill its as good as the stuff on there labels.
chick
Some of you guys say 2 years or even 1.

Would you share that secret recipe for learning that fast? I think that's almost impossible.. or you were releasing on extremly labels? :conf:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement