return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 
So, how long did it take you to get a first release? (pg. 2)
View this Thread in Original format
MSZ
a worthy track, my first single which is coming out at the end of the month. i've been producing for around 9 years, seriously around 5. so awesome getting to release on one of your favourite labels.
derail
quote:
Originally posted by Vernon Wanderer
I was talking about a release via some proper label, digital or physical doesn't matter, the question is how long did it take you to release a mention worthy track.

I just want to get a better idea on how others are doing. :)

Please define "proper label" and "mention worthy". These terms are vague and people will read them and think completely different things to what you think they mean, and the responses you get will be meaningless to you.

Is Anjuna a "proper label"?

Is mentioning it briefly to your best friend "mention worthy"?
Vernon Wanderer
Proper label - a label that is respected for good quality control in whatever scene. Size doesn't matter but some tradition and history of good releases are what count.

Mention worthy track - a track that will make some success. Recognized by people who value quality and don't take any thrown at them, and played sometimes..
derail
Well, I've had a few tracks signed to a couple of digital labels, it appears there was some radio play, some support from djs, a few sales (though not enough that I've actually ever seen income, or expect to see any).

In terms of "mention worthy", well, I'd say not. The vast majority of people who like trance have never heard of Fabrik Europa. I wouldn't be troubling any "top 200 trance producers" lists, if they existed.

I should really update the songs in my signature (they're quite dated now), but recent songs have all been remixes which have been signed. It's a hassle that once you sign something away (in terms of an original work), it's out of your control, your work no longer belongs to you and you can't do anything with it. And for that privilege, you may get zero money.
Mad for Brad
2 years pre digital age. Was on Tiesto's playlist for what its worth. That was kinda when I decided to jump ship to another style of music. MY goal was to get something released and then move on to something else.
G-Con
quote:
Originally posted by Vernon Wanderer
Proper label - a label that is respected for good quality control in whatever scene. Size doesn't matter but some tradition and history of good releases are what count.

Mention worthy track - a track that will make some success. Recognized by people who value quality and don't take any thrown at them, and played sometimes..

Well in that respect, I think that the majority of people on here (few exceptions apply) haven't had a release of the kind you are talking about.

I had my first release 2yrs after starting out with a major label. I have no idea how it did sales wise as I have never had any statement from them despite countless back and forth emails. Did it have success in terms of recognition, played by big DJ's etc? No I don't think so.

Had another release about 6 months later on a small label. Sales were abysmal, completely not worth it. Though I am confident that the track would have sold much better with better distribution and some form of promotion. Instead it got released without any promotion whatsoever on beatport only to get lost amongst the hundreds of other tracks released that week.

Moral of the story? Don't bother with any small digital label that has no success or proper following. Don't bother with larger labels if they are of the kind to sign up anything and everything and release it under one of their many sub-labels - again with no promotion whatsoever.

Now I just don't bother. I don't think I'm a bad producer, far from it. But I do know I'm not yet good enough to make a track of a quality that a decent label would sign.
Roopert Rave
Im just startin out but my frinds said I should make it quick - i have a lot of stuff to show the world neasrly ready

main thing is get a anallog sound and pump stuff so no one can deny your skill
people just need a proper drum beat to get thjat feelin of luvin youre track
JEO
Voi vittu.
Roopert Rave
jus make good nuff sh1t and the pro label will bang your door down and shower those with talent - bitches soon know whos got the dollas
cryophonik
The first few songs that I posted on forums years ago got the unsolicited interest of a few small labels, who contacted me and asked if we wanted to sign. At the time, we really had no interest in signing away our songs, especially not to small labels that we had never heard of. The first song that I actually sent to a label (less than 2 years into home production) got signed immediately - actually all 3 labels that I sent it to wanted to sign it.

Of course, almost all of my songs feature female vocalists and, in my limited experience, it seems to be a LOT easier to get vocal songs signed.

Rodri Santos
like you i had an unsolicit interest from Alter Ego to my first real track, they only wanted some changes regarding to a melody and kick equalization... this was 5 months ago and i haven't made that minor changes yet. This probably shows my lack of interest of this industry at the moment... still i prefer to release 8 tracks in 2 months than 1 every month, just see how many producers get their recognition when they release a lot of (crap usually) in a month.
kevin shawn
quote:
Originally posted by Roopert Rave
Im just startin out but my frinds said I should make it quick - i have a lot of stuff to show the world neasrly ready

main thing is get a anallog sound and pump stuff so no one can deny your skill
people just need a proper drum beat to get thjat feelin of luvin youre track

alt
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement