return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
ER-25 Musician's Earplugs Review
View this Thread in Original format
DJ Nuclear
Okay, for all those wondering about earplugs for djing, I got a pair of those expensive custom ones today. I've been getting some tinnitus lately, and I've been concerned about my hearing. I'll give these things a review for those who are considering getting a pair. I was honestly very pleased with them.

The initial fitting of the earplugs had to be arranged at a local hospital. They jammed cotton far into my ears, which was a little uncomfortable, and then poured in some mold with a scringe. The mold hardened after about 10 minutes, and then was removed. I was then showed the options of what I could get. Mainly, for musicians, there was the ER-15 and the ER-25. The ER-15 cuts 10 decibels and the ER-25 20. They cut the frequencies evenly, unlike traditional earplugs, so they sound the same, just at a lower volume. Guessing from my experiences from parties as to the volume level at them and what I've heard other people say about the decibel level of parties, I opted for the ER-25. They were $180 US. (I think the ER-15 was about $110). I then had the selection of material, and I chose latex over vinyl, as it was supposed to be much more comfortable (the other option was for those allergic to latex). They also had the option of the style of them. There was standard, countersunk, and semi-countersunk. The countersunk ones had the filter surrounded with a latex donut, designed to fit into the grooves of the ear. I chose standard (though for whatever reason, the doctor ordered countersunk later). The doctor told me to schedule a pick up time in a week.
So today, one week later, I went back in to pick them, suprised to get countersunk ones, but not particularly minding it. I was shown how to insert them by the doctor and was able to converse very well with hear while they were in. Her voice did not appear distorted, just quieter.
I took them home and decided to try them out and see how music sounded. Listening to music at standard volume was very quiet and sounded a little louder than a whisper. I took out a pair of headphones (Sony MDR V-6's) and decided to test how much volume it took for my ears to become uncomfortable. I turned my cue level up to max (usually I listen to the cue with the cue volume knob around 1/3 or a little more turned up when I'm mixing at home, which is kind of loud, and I listen to less than that when listening for pleasure). I was surprised to find this at a very even, non-intensive volume, perfectly reasonable and didn't hurt my ears whatsoever. I could hear the synths and highs very well, and overall there was little distortion. I next turned up all the levels on the channel +12 dB. This was somewhat uncomfortable on my ears and sounded about what a club normally did. I then went back to the monitors to test them and see how much it would take to hurt my ears. I was surprised to find that even with my amp all the way up, it was still tolerable to my ears, though now a little bit uncomfortable (the bass still felt a little rough). The track came in with very good clarity though, seeming about equal in frequecies, with the bass maybe a little heavy, but this was at the point where you could really physically feel the bass pretty well. (I stood about 3 feet from one speaker and 8 from the other while testing). The amp is 200 watts, with each speaker's max at 120 watts.
Next I tested the ability to mix. I took 2 tracks (Katana - Dulce Vita --> Eon - Pocket Damage, if it matters). I turned the speakers up to about what I'd heard at parties standing a few feet from the speakers, and the bass from my speakers began to distort a little (as my carts are very bass heavy). None the less, I was able to beat match fairly well between the two tracks, directly in front of the speakers, with a little distortion of the highs from the massive bass. My ears were pretty comfortable throughout the whole ordeal. The only problem I had was this the disorientingly distorted bass, but that's from my cheap ass $40 speakers I got a pawn shop. :D The bass is not nearly as distorted in real life, and you wouldn't necessarily be directly in front of it.
As far as how comfortable the earplugs are, they put a little pressure on the inside of your ear, but not painfully at all. They measure about a little less than 1 inch long (2.6 cm). They seem to stay in your ears relatively well and I could not get them out by throwing my head around and jumping up and down (pretty roughly, at that.)
Aesthetically, they are a little noticable in your ear, but for what you're getting out of wearing them (your hearing for another 40 years), I'd consider it worth it.
They came with a one year warranty.
All in all, I'm quite satisfied with them, but they may be a little costly for some of you out there ($180 + the fitting expenses).

DJ Nuclear ~_^
djdawn
thanks for this review, very informative!

what's the exact name of the company? ER?
Dj Thy
Etymotic research : http://www.etymotic.com/

If you don't wanna pay a whole lot of money, you can still get the ER-20. Sure the attenuation isn't as linear as the 25's, but still a lot better than other regular earplugs.
gefloc
I think its the same company as in this thread -> http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/...&threadid=51337

and since you are in .de, djdawn, you might be interested in this as well: http://www.sonicshop.de/

btw nice rewiew Nuclear! thanks
HyPeRSoNiC
so much to say about earplugs.......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
DJ Charlie
And what about when you removed the earmolds..
was it painful ? how was your hearing after taking them off ?

and while wearing them... did you kinda speak too loud cause of the sound attenuation ? like for exemple.. when someone is listening to music in earphones and speaks to you at the same time they always yell like hell... lol
DJ Nuclear
quote:
Originally posted by HyPeRSoNiC

If you're paying that much for them... :)
Keep in mind you all debate turntables and headphones endlessly. ;)

DJ Nuclear ~_^

Don't take life too seriously
djdawn
quote:
Originally posted by HyPeRSoNiC

actually I'd say my ears are more important than my turntables!

@gefloc: thanks for the link, very good site!
j_spot
I have the ER-20s...and I wouldnt reccomend them for mixing. maybe if you have big assed monitors, but for mixing in headphones like I do....yea not needed, and quite bad actually

but the ER-20 I use @ all parties. Bigger stereo, further in. Small parties(less speaker) I just put them there...

Ive not had my ears ring once since I got them
DJ Mikey Mike
thanks for the review. very informative. What i am unsure of tho, is u put the ear plugs in to reduce the sound level, but then u hav to turn the volume up more to hear it. Doesnt that defeat the object of putting less pressure on ur ear? Im unsure of how they work.

DJ Nuclear
DJ Mikey Mike: The thing is, at parties, music is played louded that it really needs to be, so loud in fact, that it damages your ears. While I'm not going to mix at home with them on, I wear them out so as not to hurt my ears when I mix or am at a party in general. I turned my speaker up that loud so I could evaluate how much it took to hurt my ears with them in (a lot), and to get a good idea of how much the volume was reduced. Basically, they reduce the regular loud party sound to that of a studio, or around there.
Dj Thy
The reason you turn the volume up is because the general sound level in the venue is loud. If you wear good earplugs, the sound level will decrease. So you don't need to go as loud.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement