return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Crossfader problems
View this Thread in Original format
kevferris
Hi,

I've just bought a new crossfader for my Vestax PMC270a mixer but on testing it out when i put the crossfader 100% to the left and put the volume up to max on the volume fader and volume up to max on the trim on you can slightly hear it coming through on both speakers. It also happens when i have the crossfader fully to the right ie i hear the left channel leaking through.

Can anyone explain to me how this can happen? I don't really think the crossfader could be faulty as i bought it brand new.

Any help appreciated.
Ipooptoomuch
Flick the crossfader with your index finger hard enough to make it go all the way to the other side. Try it a few times if it doesn't work the first time. It worked for me a few times.
kevferris
quote:
Originally posted by Ipooptoomuch
Flick the crossfader with your index finger hard enough to make it go all the way to the other side. Try it a few times if it doesn't work the first time. It worked for me a few times.

Hi, i just bought the crossfader brand new from an online store and it's definitely 100% the way across. You see it only seems to leak when i increase the trim, so if it wasn't all the way across properly technically speaking it would leak regardless of the trim being 0 or 10 because the volume control is way up and it doesn't seem to leak when the trim is 0.

Thanks for your help anyway
discobiscuit
its probably faulty or there is a chance you installed it improperly (is that even a word?). take it out, air dust the inside, re-install, and see what happens... if it faulty, you'll have to cut through all the bs to get your money back im sure. where did you buy it? i like buying from guitarcenter.com and then if there were to be an issue, i could just drive an hour or 2 to the nearest guitar center for a refund (god forbid). good luck
kevferris
Thanks discobiscuit.

I'm sure the crossfader isn't faulty to be honest. All you do is click it into a small white connector thing, so i doubt i've installed it incorrectly. I mean it would be literally impossible to do that incorrectly! Maybe incorrectly, or wrongly is the word you're looking for :)

The place i bought it from (decks.co.uk) says if they inspect the item and find it not to be faulty they will charge me 35 for 'administration' charges so if i did send it back and they say this, well i'm screwed! Or i could imagine they send me a new crossfader and the same thing happens.

But what is confusing me is why would a faulty crossfader only leak when i touch the trim!!? Maybe the mixer itself is faulty as the mixer is over 7 1/2 years old. The only real way to find out if the crossfader is faulty would be to borrow someone's crossfader that has no problems and see if this error still happens on my mixer.
kevferris
I just realised it seems to happen even when the trim is down, it's just that you need to turn the volume way way way up to hear it leaking!

I think i should just get a new mixer, because i hate having to solely rely on volume faders to mix.
CReddick
You guys use the crossfader?
kevferris
quote:
Originally posted by CReddick
You guys use the crossfader?

Do you mean as opposed to using the volume fader to mix?
elFreak
ewww crossfaders.
CReddick
quote:
Originally posted by kevferris
Do you mean as opposed to using the volume fader to mix?

Correct. The cross fader is so limiting in regards to the level of control that you have over the two tracks. Using the vertical faders puts you in control behind the mix 'steering wheel' per se. When I first started I was a crossfader guy... Until I got to some gigs and the cf wasn't set up on the board. After I switched to the v faders I'll never go back.

Ipooptoomuch
quote:
Originally posted by discobiscuit
its probably faulty or there is a chance you installed it improperly (is that even a word?). take it out, air dust the inside, re-install, and see what happens... if it faulty, you'll have to cut through all the bs to get your money back im sure. where did you buy it? i like buying from guitarcenter.com and then if there were to be an issue, i could just drive an hour or 2 to the nearest guitar center for a refund (god forbid). good luck

I hope he will enjoy putting his mixer's 9000 parts back together.
kevferris
quote:
Originally posted by CReddick
Correct. The cross fader is so limiting in regards to the level of control that you have over the two tracks. Using the vertical faders puts you in control behind the mix 'steering wheel' per se. When I first started I was a crossfader guy... Until I got to some gigs and the cf wasn't set up on the board. After I switched to the v faders I'll never go back.

Totally disagree with you, but maybe the reason you say what you do is because you don't use a curved crossfader, but this isn't really the thread to start a volume fader vs crossfader discussion :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement