return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
Bad Habbit
View this Thread in Original format
Jason R
Every time I have just beat matched two tunes perfectly when it comes to the mix I always give one of the turntables a little push putting the tunes compleatly out of time. Why I do this I don't know habbit, confidence ? Does anyone else have this problem or any other bad habbits ?
Project T
That's all about practise m8, and u feel the need for perfection, every1 does it, even the pros, even me :stongue:

As for my bad habbits:

Changing bass eq at wrong times during mixes or leaving the mix without bass :rolleyes:
Forgetting to put the mid eq back to the centre :rolleyes:
Cutting and the voume fader slipping, or cutting at the wrong time. NOW THAT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A DICK :wtf:
DJ TranceFormer
quote:
Originally posted by Project T
That's all about practise m8, and u feel the need for perfection, every1 does it, even the pros, even me :stongue:

As for my bad habbits:

Changing bass eq at wrong times during mixes or leaving the mix without bass :rolleyes:
Forgetting to put the mid eq back to the centre :rolleyes:
Cutting and the voume fader slipping, or cutting at the wrong time. NOW THAT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A DICK :wtf:

LOL,
I know exactly what you are talking about man, I always forget to put the mid eq back and and same story with the bass...
Pjotr G
yups totally recognise the pushing thing even when it's almost perfectly beatmatched. I guess it just ain't perfect enough for DJ ears ;)
Acid Circus
My cardinal sin is adjusting pitch on incoming record only. But my pitch adjustments are so fine no-one notices, another benefit of doing pitch slider correction!

Yeah, I've left the bass down a bit low after completing the mix before and then you notice it half way through the tune and panic. But one time I had it pretty damn low, noticed this and waited for a nice time to slam the bass back in, worked a treat.

Another bad habit is failing to check the first record before starting. Ive done the dreaded 33rpm instead of 45 for a record on start-up because I assumed with two tracks on the same side it would be 33, WHOOOOPS :nervous:
Kid_Lax
i used to have the worst habbit of bumping the pitch slider with my hand while just resting my hand there while beatmatching

it was such a bitch! ;)

ive broken that habbit though
MERiDiAN5i2
my cardinal sin thus far of beatmatching is watching the slider and not the dots !

ive been getting more into the habit of this, watching the speed of the dots rather than the position of the pitch control, and it has seemed to make my matches much more solid. the dots are your friend :eyespop:
DJTJ
quote:
Originally posted by MERiDiAN5i2
my cardinal sin thus far of beatmatching is watching the slider and not the dots !

ive been getting more into the habit of this, watching the speed of the dots rather than the position of the pitch control, and it has seemed to make my matches much more solid. the dots are your friend :eyespop:

Well I don't know about you, but I like to use my ears for mixing rather than my eyes.
MERiDiAN5i2
i use both... might as well take advantage of your senses :D

-mer
Acid Circus
quote:
Originally posted by MERiDiAN5i2
i use both... might as well take advantage of your senses :D

-mer


Try to remember that not all decks will have dots, so would you feel 100% comfortable if you were faced with these sort of decks when playing out?

MERiDiAN5i2
yea, id feel plenty comfortable without them, however most decent DJ turntables have them. they are just a way to make beatmatching faster, more accurate, and give you a visual indication of what your ears are hearing... and especially handy for beginners!

-mer
djdawn
quote:
Originally posted by Project T
As for my bad habbits:

Cutting and the volume fader slipping...


I wouldn't say its a habit, but I lost the volume fader knobs from several mixers now (at LIVE events) while cutting so hard and enthusiastic that they slipped from my fingers and flew into the crowd...those things just come off too easily on the Pioneer mixer!
:tongue3
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement