return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Comparing 2 CD players...need help
View this Thread in Original format
tranceDJ
OK...I'm going to be getting 2 cd players and a mixer. I've thought about this for awhile and decided that for now at least cd players are better than tt's for me in my situation.

My question: how much better is the CDJ-100 than this: http://www.marsmusic.com/store/prod...kuId=sku1180005

The CDJ-100 is twice the price of the Stanton CD player, is it worth paying $150 more for each cd player? The Stanton looks pretty decent and I've heard only good things about Stanton.

Another thing is that I really want to spend as little as possible.
Dj Zinni
First off top load sux, the front load on the cdj100 is way better, also the stanton does not have a jog wheel, jog wheels are soo necessary for cd mixing, the pitch bend buttons just don't feel hands on.

plus the cdj has those cool effects which are pretty sweet. all and all I think the cdj is gonna be a better cd player, even if it is twice the amount.
Widget
Consider the Denon DN-9000. It's a dual CD player and from what I have seen, about the best specs out there.

Going to review / demo one on Saturday.

- A.
El~ZaPo
Definetly stay away from that Stanton. Other equipment from Staton may be good but that is a very budget cd player.

Things that are wrong with it:

1) The screen will not be readable in the dark
2) Top loading CD players are known for not being as reliable
3) Top loading CD players take longer to load in a CD and start it compared to slot loading on the CDJ-100
4) No effects
5) No master tempo (which is somewhat over-rated, but still useful)
6) No jog dial

If you want to save money I would recommend either going with a dual CD player, or go with ones by American DJ, which have good opinions by people on this board. (especially the pro 2)
tranceDJ
Would you consider this along the lines of the CDJ-100? http://www.123dj.com/cd/americandj/PRO-DJ3.html

Or is the CDJ-100 still a lot better than this?
DJ Darchinova
CDJ-100 definately..
the stanton top loading looks like old technolgy because it is!
no jog wheels, effects, screen is small, buttons rubber, and stanton's first single cd player where revision will be needed!!
El~ZaPo
The CDJ-100 is still ahead of the ProDJ-3. The jog wheel is larger and it has slot-loading oppose to tray loading.

If you are tight for cash then the ProDJ-3 should be good for the price ($85 US less per unit). Also there is a ProDJ-2 that has effects as well if you look around for it, the top part of it is black and it has a bunch of buttons for various tasks.

I rate American DJ above Gemini and that Stanton, but Pioneer and Denon CD decks are rated best because of durability.
DJ Darchinova
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Zinni
First off top load sux, the front load on the cdj100 is way better, also the stanton does not have a jog wheel, jog wheels are soo necessary for cd mixing, the pitch bend buttons just don't feel hands on.

plus the cdj has those cool effects which are pretty sweet. all and all I think the cdj is gonna be a better cd player, even if it is twice the amount.

If you dont have a jog wheel, the better experience you will have with getting the pitch right...
that was back in the old days.. :)
lol
DJ Darchinova
Gemini have a new cd player with seamless loop and 4 effects...
also 2/3 the size of the cdj-100 and abour US$60 less..
its the CD-400X.. but if you can afford the 100's get them
Dj Flesch
quote:
Originally posted by tranceDJ
Would you consider this along the lines of the CDJ-100? http://www.123dj.com/cd/americandj/PRO-DJ3.html

Or is the CDJ-100 still a lot better than this?

The American dj is okay, but I have a friend with a pair of those so I've messed around with them. I own a pair of cdj-100s. I'd suggest the cdj-100s. The jog wheel is much bigger on the cdj and is less sensitive, which means that you will have an easier time beatmatching. The cdj also has some effects on it, so that if your mixer doesn't, you can still have some limited effects. The ADJ deck, while front loading, also has a tray. Top loading sucks for partly the same reason. You want to stay away from expensive electronics with delicate trays etc that have the potential to break off or have parts malfuntion etc. It just adds one more thing you may have to worry about when you are mixing live.

Another one of my hobbies is modding my car, and all the books I've read about that start off my saying, never skimp on quality. If you can't afford something, then save up until you can!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement