return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Are 'Big' DJ's too far up there own arse ? (pg. 3)
View this Thread in Original format
DigiNut
quote:
Originally posted by Vortex_SA
going to a concert or any musical event was allways about performances...

But this ISN'T a performance. This is exactly the attitude that's been ruining trance music since Y2K. He's a DJ and he's ing playing records. That's it. It's a singles bar or top 40 club with better music and more energy. That's it! You're there for the party, not the performance.

Even junglists have their MCs. The DJs aren't really that interesting, it's the MC doing all the ridiculous freestyle and hyping up the crowd.

DJs aren't performers unless they're turntablists (like some techno DJs or the DMC). It's not a performance. They're not there to impress you. They're there to create a specific atmosphere. Get used to it, or be forever labeled as a fanboy.
Vortex_SA
quote:
Originally posted by DigiNut
But this ISN'T a performance. This is exactly the attitude that's been ruining trance music since Y2K. He's a DJ and he's ing playing records. That's it. It's a singles bar or top 40 club with better music and more energy. That's it! You're there for the party, not the performance.

Even junglists have their MCs. The DJs aren't really that interesting, it's the MC doing all the ridiculous freestyle and hyping up the crowd.

DJs aren't performers unless they're turntablists (like some techno DJs or the DMC). It's not a performance. They're not there to impress you. They're there to create a specific atmosphere. Get used to it, or be forever labeled as a fanboy.

that depends... if people are paying him to give a performance and people are coming to see the performance then i think its just fair enough if he'll give a performance... your talking bout the usual party where you go to meet gals and get drunk as f*ck... but thats not the case here, those djs are expected to give out a performance... ill make another example... danny tenaglia, a very big dj, if he will be on a party invitation probably half the people will come cos its danny tenaglia! and they will be there cos of him, and will expect a performance...

and i agree that theres no room for poses and self concentration here, but u guys are saying he should just be behind the decks and just press play... and you can label me as much as you want, it wouldnt make me different :)
Storyteller
isn't creating the atmosphere the actual performance? :)
DigiNut
quote:
Originally posted by Vortex_SA
ill make another example... danny tenaglia, a very big dj, if he will be on a party invitation probably half the people will come cos its danny tenaglia! and they will be there cos of him, and will expect a performance...

Yeah, I've seen him about six times. People go to see him because he's known for putting on great extended 18-hour sets that never get boring, full of tracks that nobody has ever heard before and nobody will ever hear again. You think any of us would pay upwards of $80 for the night just to hear him give his little 2-minute speech at the beginning of the night or watch his awkward 15-second-long dancing interludes? It's good for the occasional laugh/smile, but it's his music that makes him great, not a friggin' "performance".

quote:
and i agree that theres no room for poses and self concentration here, but u guys are saying he should just be behind the decks and just press play... and you can label me as much as you want, it wouldnt make me different :)

I'm saying that the DJ should be doing something that requires actual talent, like real turntablism or at least weaving together different tracks or doing something more than just beatmatching. Failing that, people should understand that no, the DJ is not an artist, and yes, he is a human jukebox and although he may be a jukebox with an exceptional track selection, he is still a jukebox and what matters is not the box but what the box is playing.

It's pretty much the same as paying a premium for a really excellent compilation mix as opposed to the standard trash with 3 proper tracks and 9 filler tracks. Except that this is live, and there's also a fun crowd and drinks and possibly lights and screens and other visuals. That still doesn't make it a performance. You're not the audience, you're supposed to be a participant.

, is this so hard to understand?

quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller
isn't creating the atmosphere the actual performance? :)

One could argue that. But as a clubber, if you need to see the DJ dance and clap his hands to feel any vibe then you don't belong there. :p
paulc_dj
Well, I just won VIP tickets on Kiss 101 to see AVB and Rank 1 @ Syndicate, Bristol tom night (Sat) and I get to meet and greet the man as well. So I will report how many jesus poses he makes lol.

PC :) Very happy!
TRNG
IMO when armin bows i feel like he's bowing to his fans because it's us that he's here to please and if it wasn't for the people that came to see him, he wouldn't be

as for jesus poses and everything else, maybe he is doing it to be a pretentious prick, i dunno, but i just saw it as having some fun behind the decks...

and don't ask me why but for some reason seeing a DJ who is into the music he is playing is mildly entertaining for me.. not enough to make or break the night, but entertaining nonetheless

but the whole worlds number 1 dj and blah blah blah, now i'm not saying armin is all that great or even good anymore, in fact i think he's playing , and i'm also saying he doesn't deserve the number one slot, and most of the people who voted for him were tools, but with all that aside, if you were voted worlds number one dj you'd be a little proud of yourself too no?

i don't think i'd have it projected behind me to remind evryone, but to each their own... and if you were dumb enough to vote for him and his brand of ty music then you probably enjoy gawking at saying he's number one anyway

in all honesty armin doesn't really play good music anymore it all sounds like cheesy pop stolen from dj sammy circa 2000
Jason_R
quote:
Originally posted by paulc_dj
Well, I just won VIP tickets on Kiss 101 to see AVB and Rank 1 @ Syndicate, Bristol tom night (Sat) and I get to meet and greet the man as well. So I will report how many jesus poses he makes lol.

PC :) Very happy!

Wow good luck man! Hope you have a good night
paulc_dj
Thanks man, I'll try lol!

PC :p
sylenth
wow hard to find a forum where people feel the same as i do. i 2 wasted cash purchasing the armin only dvd... it definetly was'nt armin 'only' besides 4 the dj's playing with him?? the whole carnival thing?? & pirate ship hahahahah.... tiesto's dvd's pretty much the same... i loved armin, pvd and tiesto's old trance stuff. old been b4 this new cheesy electro kinna vibe stuff. pvd the other side, tiesto's subarban train, dumonde... i'm happy with my vinyl collection of their classics, but nowadays i do'nt buy their crap. the trance is gone they all sell outs. they dont even wanna play any one elses tracks @ their events any more. 1 4 all! all 4 1! & 2 make things worse they playing off laptops! how boring! it's like watching the guy who programs & controls the lighting. boring. praise the dj. jesus bow. look ma no hands... the old school legends selling out jees the list goes on... they were never good dj's imo. great producers. definetly, 4 their time. alot of people say they're evolving by moving on. i say it's like going backwards. if i ever go that route. i've requested any one who knows me to pls publically stone me or some thing... their time is over, time 4 some new fresh stock. look out for JOOP / the future he's got some tricks up his sleeves. SIED VAN RIEL & SEAN TYAS ***'jesus bows'. that's funny guys.*** :whip:
DigiNut
Thanks for bumping a 3-week-dead thread for that incomprehensible rambling.

Bayou Boy
I saw armin around 02/03 and it was a great set. It was on a week night with not to many people and he played a lot of old classic tracks. You could tell he was having a good time. I think he might have made a few bows, but he wasn't acting like a jerk off.

I actually kind of like the weeknight shows. It's not so crowded and the dj might come down and have a few drinks in the crowd. I got to hang out with ferry corsten for a little while at the house of blues. Can't really remember what I said....something about the dutch taking over. I was a bit star struck....hanging out next to Mr. Gouryella/System F.
davidbuhau
yeah dude, in fact the reason armin is HUGE isn't because of tracks like Blue Fear... but it is in fact, because, he knows how far superior all of you are to him, and he is only famous for the sole purpose of rubbing his fame in the faces of far superior producers who have nothing better to do than post on tranceaddict.

heh

david
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Privacy Statement