I've actually posted some questions on the music production thread but not sure how much attention it will get there, this is maybe more appropriate thread.
I created a track (see link), had good feedback and also sent it to a label who gave pretty much same response as comments I got when I originally posted on this site.
Positives: Good melodies, mixing, arrangement
Negatives: Need to work on the percs and kick isn't powerful enough.
Now I've read so many articles on kicks and percs and I just can't seem to get it right. I'm trying to work out the best way to achieve the points noted by comments.
If you could listen to the track and then perhaps help out on some of the questions.
So to add some power to the kick, should I be doing either of or all of the following?
1. Add another kick sample but use filters to remove the lows so create a sort of overlap? Surely that is only going to change the sound of the kick?
2. Use compression on the kick only? Currently I've only used compression on the whole track at the mixdown.
3. Raise the volume?
For the percs I've generally used loops from Vengeance sounds. Again should I
1. Add invidual percs using a drum editor like Redrum or something?
2. Lift the volume of the existing loops?
3. Use synths to create unique perc sounds?
I really think I'm on the right track but just can't seem to get that extra bit of professionalism into the mix and its....well bloody frustrating!!
Heres the link.