return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > Winter Music Conference 2008

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Who blew you away? Who Dissapointed?
View this Thread in Original format
beema
I saw more than a couple DJ's that I had never seen before who really impressed me. First impressions last a long time for me with a DJ.
Who did you see for the first time that really exceeded your expectations? Did you see anyone for a repeat time that let you down?
Who, what, when, where? Share!

Here's my picks:

Heartthrob, live PA, M_Nus 10 Year @ Nocturnal
He completely stole the show, best performance of the night as far as I'm concerned! (2nd by Magda)

Sebo K, DJ Set, Sunday School @ Pawn Shop
WOW I had no idea what was in store for me with this guy. Looking like a too cool for school James Bond villain, this guy threw down one of THE sickest straight techno sets I've heard in a LONG time. It was completely unexpected for me. I figured he would sound like the standard Mobilee fare, which can get old pretty fast, but he sounded nothing like it. Hands down the unexpected gem of WMC for me.

Biggest Disappointment:
Richie Hawtin, DJ set, M_Nus 10 Year @ Nocturnal
I thought a set from him at the 10 year anniversary of his own party/label would be complete madness. Man what a letdown. The first 30 mins or so were great, but I don't know if he was majorly f'ed up or what, the rest was what I can only describe was horribly programmed meandering nonsense. Was anyone else getting annoyed to hell with him cutting out the track volume like 3 times in every track? Not even on beat? Wtf was that.
Jesus what a stinker...

Other than that, no real disappointments for me. Everyone else I saw was totally on point and delivered awesome music.
Ohms
Was really dissapointed with Jon Aquavivas set @ The Beatport party thursday.. Mixes werent really on point & the Dude played some cheese.. Dropped a Micheal Jackson Thriller mix followed up with a Nightrider boot right in the middle of his set. Huge dissapointment.. I Left on the spot..

Was really impressed with Madox set @ the Lot49 show.. Dude was dropping everything but the kitchen sink.. All dope stuff nothing I was really familiar with.. probably the best set I heard all week..

Was also really impressed with Alex Metric @ the Marine Parade Showcase.. Guy has great mixing skills & played some serious bombs..

Jesse Rose played some fire @ the Windish Pool party .. Must say I was pretty stoked on what he was playing..

OH yeah.. Got to give props to Jon Pegnato.. Dude rocked out on the funky electro tip..

I'd never seen any of these guys play prior to this past week & with the exception of Aquaviva was thoroughly impressed..
knittybone
Best Performances:
Sander K @ Terrace - Best vibe, and party for me every year, guy completely destroys the Terrace every time. The cryo jets arent too shabby either :eyespop:

Toolroom Knights - Shlomi Aber ing killed it, dropped Emannuelle - Parade, place went bonkers. D.Ramirez was great, dropped Butch - Mushroom Man, loved it on a top notch system. Mark Knight was also great.

Pawn Shop - Mull/Beyer, great tagteam from them. Dixon thought he was the best of the day/night, played some saxaphone track that was crazy, only drawback was the ing baking sun. Sebo K was amazing as well. Whoever the DJ after Bug wouldnt let us leave.

Dissapointments:
Steve Bug/Locodice - Thought they were terrible at the Surfcomber party on Thursday, there was no flow or vibe and they were very boring, especially Bug, expected so much more out of him after seeing him kill Cielo in NYC. He was much better at Pawn Shop.

Pete Tong/Annie Mac - Thought Tong was going to let others DJ, so wrong, dude wouldnt shut up either. Annie Mac should just retire. She is ing horrendous and everyone wanted to throw at her because she killed the vibe at the party.
Clovis
Best: Magda @ Cheap Sunglasses, Radio Slave @ Kompakt night, everyone who played Freak N Chic @ Townhouse, Mobilee rooftop, SUNDAY SCHOOL

Worst: Sander K @ Setai, Every DJ I saw playing hotel parties on Collins, but other than that I didn't hear much bad music.
SLR722
quote:
Originally posted by beema

Biggest Disappointment:
I thought a set from him at the 10 year anniversary of his own party/label would be complete madness. Man what a letdown. The first 30 mins or so were great, but I don't know if he was majorly f'ed up or what, the rest was what I can only describe was horribly programmed meandering nonsense. Was anyone else getting annoyed to hell with him cutting out the track volume like 3 times in every track? Not even on beat? Wtf was that.
Jesus what a stinker...

I had never heard Riche Hawtin before WMC this year, only heard things about him.

Had the chance to see him at the Beatport pool party, and he ing sucked. The tracks weren't amazing, but they weren't bad either...but he kept doing the same with the bass! He wouldn't let the bass stay on any one track for more than 5-10 seconds before cutting it out for another 20 seconds, build-up, bass on for 5-10, cut it out. WHAT THE ! He did this the whole damn set. Most annoying ever.
AUDIOMIND
quote:
Originally posted by knittybone

Toolroom Knights - Shlomi Aber ing killed it, dropped Emannuelle - Parade, place went bonkers. D.Ramirez was great, dropped Butch - Mushroom Man, loved it on a top notch system. Mark Knight was also great.

how'd you get in? the guys at the door were only letting select few 'regulars'/hotties in and kept the line from moving an inch for a good long while. it wasn't even that long. we ended up catching hybrid/dave seaman/nick warren/etc over at the Shelbourne because after 45 minutes of not moving a inch (and actually being told to step back), we said to hell with that.
knittybone
quote:
Originally posted by AUDIOMIND
how'd you get in? the guys at the door were only letting select few 'regulars'/hotties in and kept the line from moving an inch for a good long while. it was even that long. we ended up catching hybrid/dave seaman/nick warren/etc over at the Shelbourne because after 45 minutes of not moving a inch (and actually being told to step back), we said to hell with that.

We got there at 1230 and i showed them my paper reciept and they let in me and my two friends (who didnt even pay). Always pays to get the advance tix.
JohnnyMonsoon
Sander Van Doorn @ Space (not that it was a surprise) blew the roof off the place. Ever since I did a show with Sander back in 2006, you just knew he was on his way to the top. I'm guessing top 10 within the next 2 years.

PVD @ Space blew me away with one insane 3.5 hour set! The energy in that main room was on overload from the first track to the very last one.
PVD's set @ Ultra (yeah yeah yeah I know, but i had to go because of some rookies at WMC for the first time) was pretty freakin impressive as well as the entire Ultra crowd was losing their minds.

Spooky's DJ set at Gnarles Barkley's vacation mansion where they held Sasha's private screening of his "New Emmissions of Light & Sound" DVD was one of the sickest down tempo ambient sets I've ever heard. Duncan & Charlie are 2 legends!

Sasha's set on the Sasha & Digweed Yacht party Friday was legendary. The atmosphere was perfect, the music was beyond good, plus he got back on the CDJ's because of the Maven being screwed up and didn't lose a single beat!

Jody Wisternoff's set at the Shelborne Saturday night was rad!

Dave Seaman provided the surprise set of the conference though, he absolutely punished Shine to no other. DAVE IS BACK WITH A VENGEANCE! Man, what a set!
iammesol
Noone really disappointed me. One+One surprised me. :)
epdarks
Interestingly Howells set fell flat on its face in the last 2 hours. That said he had the place moving proper for the first 5.

Lawler did great but something was off compared to last year.

Most of the AM only sets were about average, however Haliwell nearly melted my brain. I wasn't in proper shape to judge at that time though.

Dave Seaman brought me to heaven... we got there at midnight, went to the floor around 12:30 and danced proper 'til 5:15. I wasn't really paying attention to who was on, Warren or Seaman, bc both of them were so similar in style. Dave had the edge though. Those encore tracks by Dave were completely destructive. Overall IMO the best set of WMC 2008.

nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by beema

Biggest Disappointment:
Jesus what a stinker...
disagree..... i thought his set was bombs.com at nocturnal... and the volume down thing seemed to work as well as when he would drop the bass on the tracks.
nchs09
quote:
Originally posted by iammesol
Noone really disappointed me. One+One surprised me. :)
Got a high def video of the end.... will send once i get my hands on it.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 
Privacy Statement