return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Stopping the platter while cueing
View this Thread in Original format
Ugg
I was trying to que a record last night on one of my 1200's and the platter stopped with the record + slipmat. The record is slightly bowed so the center is higher than the edges, so I'm thinking that is causing the prob. Touching the edge of the record was fine.. the slipmat stopped and the platter kept turning. Is there a special way to que bowed records like this one?

Also, is it possible for slipmats to build up resistance (during normal use) and slow the platter?

One last q, is it bad to stop the platter from turing? Will it damage the motor?

Thx.
Great Outdoors
quote:
Originally posted by Ugg
I was trying to que a record last night on one of my 1200's and the platter stopped with the record + slipmat. The record is slightly bowed so the center is higher than the edges, so I'm thinking that is causing the prob. Touching the edge of the record was fine.. the slipmat stopped and the platter kept turning. Is there a special way to que bowed records like this one?

Also, is it possible for slipmats to build up resistance (during normal use) and slow the platter?

One last q, is it bad to stop the platter from turing? Will it damage the motor?

Thx.

Cue bowed records as you would with normal records, keeping in mind that you would have to apply slightly less pressure so that the platter won't stop short altogether.
Slipmats generally won't "build up resistance" I think.. unless too much ends up coated on the surface. :)
No, absolutely not. I've learnt (from this forum, no less) that magnetic fields drive the platter to turn, so pressure of any sort won't damage the platter motor in any way.

Hope this helps. :)
VoiDeT
ohhh thank you!!!
i have stopped my platter accidently about 3 times, and it has always been on my chest about whether i have screwed them up. Thank you i feel alot better now.
mantisnl
hmm im not getting it.. do u have 2 stop the whole platter (with slipmat and record included?) or not?? and if,is this bad??

grtz,

DJ Mantis
quddha
ok, to set it straight, when you stop the record, you usually want the platter to keep spinning underneath it, so when you let go, you don't have to wait for the platter to start from stop...

BUT if you do stop the platter while hte motor is running, it will NOT hurt your turntable.
mantisnl
ah ok.. thnx man.. i needed that 2 B cleared up:happy2:
Project T
Also there r 2 types of generally used mat:

Normal anti-static dense cardboard like Fabric, like on technics mats, which do tend to build up friction as the more u mix. Or felt type mats like Stantons, which r slippy as fuk, maybe if u get them that will sort it.

Also my m8 used 2 DJ hip-hop and he made his own mats by drawing round a vinyl on a snooker table cloth and using 2 layers of table fabric with a piece of cardboard in the middle, now they were slippy :D
MERiDiAN5i2
shouldnt really matter much, like he mentioned the platter turns magnetically... which is very nice.

if I'm going to be doing alot of queueing, i tend to turn the motor off and rotate the record by hand.. find the cue point then kick the motor back on... i try not to spin it backwards with the motor on much, not sure if it's bad for it or not, but it doesnt seem like the best practice.

from my electronics experience, making the platter actually move backwards with the motor on will surely build up extra heat in the motor... but from everything ive read the techs can handle this...

-mer
quddha
quote:
Originally posted by MERiDiAN5i2
if I'm going to be doing alot of queueing, i tend to turn the motor off and rotate the record by hand.. find the cue point then kick the motor back on... i try not to spin it backwards with the motor on much, not sure if it's bad for it or not, but it doesnt seem like the best practice.

what decks do you use? I know on my techs, if i turn the motor off and do that, its harder to cue, because that usually makes the platter rotate backwards, which is a pretty heavy momentum to stop when u want to stop cueing.. I find it easier to just let the motor keep running.. maybe its my slipmats or whatever, but yeah, thats what i find.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement