return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Hip Hop sucks.
View this Thread in Original format
Krispy Kreme
Seriously. 99% of rappers can't play an instrument, can't speak remotely properly, can't rhyme without making up words or mispronouncing everything. They don't make up their own sounds, they have producers for that. Rap is the worst modern music and it takes the least amount of talent to succeed at:haha:
Mr.Mystery
Right.
Blahzaay
I have a group of mates that have some mad ryhmes and a crisp clear sound but don't know the 1st thing about production. Absolutely zero. They spend every day rapping over the top of other peoples instrumentals and posting them on Myspace. Some of them sound half decent but good luck selling them.
jupiterone
99% of EDM producers can't play an instrument either.
shorelinetrance
quote:
Originally posted by jupiterone
99% of EDM producers can't play an instrument either.

yes, but at least EDM producers understand music theory.

rappers take instrumentals and blurt out words over them and record them.

:whip: :D
Freak
That was the whole ing point of hip hop you moron.

Expression without having to be able to play a traditional instrument, by using the limited tools available.
A used/stolen/bought-on-layaway sampler/drum machine and collecting samples from your parents soul and funk LP collection.
Or rapping over a break in someone elses record, by simply getting two copies of the same track, then getting the groove and loop going by manually playing the same loop again and again by cutting back and forth.

A lot of dance (hell ANY style) producers could learn a hell of a lot from the working methods of hip hop and rap.... like using the very limited technology to its fullest, finding new ways to use it and break the 'rules', instead of posting 'where can i get a sample cd with 1,000,000 trance/dance/whatever sounds' or 'how do i sidechain'.

How many of you would think to sample individual drum sounds or a break at 45rpm+8% then pitching them down, in order to save precious sample memory, and also changing the character of the sound? Essential when you have a whopping 750kB of sample memory in your s950/mpc60/sp1200...
Or how about engineering ahead of time so you leave room for instruments, and more importantly vocals?
Leaving breaks in the track because you know Djs and producers need them?
Listen to how they make room for such a huge kick drum, bass AND sub all in the bottom end of a track wothout clouding it... that alone is worth investigating.

Yeah there is some real simple, hip hop by numbers infesting the charts- but that doesnt mean the whole genre is wank. Far from it.

Sorry for the rant- but closed minded BULL ignorant statements really make my piss boil :rolleyes: (and apologies if the original post was tongue in cheek...it didnt come across that way)
cryophonik
quote:
Originally posted by Krispy Kreme
Seriously. 99% of rappers can't play an instrument, can't speak remotely properly, can't rhyme without making up words or mispronouncing everything. They don't make up their own sounds, they have producers for that. Rap is the worst modern music and it takes the least amount of talent to succeed at:haha:

Well, given the choice, I'd still rather listen to rap or hiphop done well than trance done poorly, yo. :clown:
Fledz
80% of stastistics are made up.
Blahzaay
There are three types of statisticians. Those that can count and those that can't.
cryophonik
Why did the blonde move to a new apartment 6 miles away?

She read that 80% of accidents occur within 5 miles of your home.

Sorry, that was my stats prof's favorite joke (and he told it everyday) :sadgreen:

T-Soma
Good post freak, I too thought that the OP (if being serious) was a bit ignorant. I too am a fan of good hip-hop and rap, though I can't stand most the stuff in the charts because is senseless BS.

I'm actually going to be helping a bunch of guys write and record a few tracks very soon so that should be interesting.
3F05Q
quote:
Originally posted by Krispy Kreme

Don't criticize someone who can't speak properly when you can't write properly. At the same time, I don't disagree. :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Privacy Statement