return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 
Ableton Live 6... (pg. 2)
View this Thread in Original format
SPAWNmaster
quote:
Originally posted by resonaterecords
Hi guys thanks for your replies. I have read through the manual but it still makes no sense on how to mix live.

one user posetd that if you have the correct warping then just use the volume faders... sureley thats cheating? youve practically done the set before you hit the venue...

I do currently use it at the moment for recording my own compilation cd's and for my radio show. so im quite comfortable with doing that judt couldnt see how it would be done live.

any regards to the finsl scratch thing?

not cheating in any way. if you really had experience using ableton you would understand that. like someone already mentioned go through the tutorials. there is plenty of information on ALDJ as well as throughout the web on how ableton is used for live dj'ing and is far from pre-done. there is a lot of preproduction work (i like to think of it as pre-beatmatching all your tracks before hand ie warping) but other than that it arguably offers more freedom and functionality thant FS or regular cdjs offer.
resonaterecords
quote:
but other than that it arguably offers more freedom and functionality thant FS or regular cdjs offer.

Agreed, Ive been told you can use it with FS2. but i havent read up on that. I have been lazy really and not searched for it. Just though myabe a few of you guys could help out as this is a discussion forum and were discussing how to use ableton etc...
UWM
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
nail, head, son.

Come off it. Surely you've never even attempted to use Ableton if you're making statements like that.
MrJiveBoJingles
It doesn't really "beatmatch for you." You still have to make sure your tracks are in sync and correctly warped. The difference is that you get to do this before you play a set.

I see Ableton as a way to free yourself up to add special effects and other stuff that you wouldn't be able to do with decks or CDJs. At least that seems to me like the best use for it in a DJ setting. Being a good DJ means trying to push your tools to their limits and exhaust their potential, so I think just playing tracks back to back with Ableton is pretty lame and uncreative.

I think that soon the "human jukebox" era will be pretty much over and that the best "DJs" will use a combination of other people's tracks, pieces of tracks they have written before the event, and stuff they generate on the fly. But maybe I'm wrong and people will persist in thinking that DJs are actually "making" music when they spin records and CDs and the era of the "rock star DJ" will continue.

:rolleyes:
Ian
quote:
Originally posted by UWM
Come off it. Surely you've never even attempted to use Ableton if you're making statements like that.

i tried once but the serial number i had wouldn't work :p in all seriousness I just prefer the ideals behind the good old 1210s, a good mixer & good vinyls :)
Mortyman
I'm in the same boat as resonate.
I just got this program and I really wanna learn how to mix full sets with it because I'm travelling and don't have access to turntables or mixers!

I'm finding it very difficult to figre all this out, it would be so much easier if I had someone to show me step by step what everything is and does.

I've started to read through the user manual, and it took me a good hour (almost) just to get through the first 20 pages of 387! It's kinda frustrating, and threads like this are here to help.

I still haven't figured out how this whole warpingt hing works. Pretty much EVERY time I select a track and after it loads, it plays at a much MUCH SLOWER bpm than if I play it through winamp. Basically, my first step is trying to figure out why these tracks have predetermined warping markers, and why they play at such a slow speed when I open them??
UWM
quote:
Originally posted by Mortyman
I just got this program and I really wanna learn how to mix full sets with it because I'm travelling and don't have access to turntables or mixers!

I'm finding it very difficult to figre all this out, it would be so much easier if I had someone to show me step by step what everything is and does.

I've started to read through the user manual, and it took me a good hour (almost) just to get through the first 20 pages of 387! It's kinda frustrating, and threads like this are here to help.

I still haven't figured out how this whole warpingt hing works. Pretty much EVERY time I select a track and after it loads, it plays at a much MUCH SLOWER bpm than if I play it through winamp. Basically, my first step is trying to figure out why these tracks have predetermined warping markers, and why they play at such a slow speed when I open them??

See that number in the upper left that says '120'? You can change that.
AnomalyConcept
When you first import a track (clip), it will automatically warp (eg. best guess) the track for you. You then make adjustments if you need to manually in the clip view.

Tracks in Ableton play at the master tempo; this number is located in the upper-left, and defaults to 120. It will, in a sense, auto-beatmatch by lining up the beats set by warping.

If you're not mixing live, it's pretty easy to draw in automation points with a mouse. I've recorded a mix like this, and it's easy to go back and tweak EQ, gain, effects (although I don't use any) parameters to your liking.

Mixing live, eg. realtime, is a bit more involved. I have a Nuo4 which has MIDI, but I opt to run the sound through the mixer, so Ableton is just outputting the tracks into each channel on the mixer. Again, I don't really (know how to) use effects, but it'd be a bit more involved, and the effected signal is sent to the mixer (as no send/return in my setup).

EDIT: UWM beat me to it. =P I type slow.
ASFSE
quote:
Originally posted by Mortyman

if you do a quick search on google, there are some good step by step tutorials.
Prism
you will get better answers at abletonlivedj.com/forum
cheers

nefardec
quote:
one user posetd that if you have the correct warping then just use the volume faders... sureley thats cheating? youve practically done the set before you hit the venue...

Sorry, man, but that's about as much cheating as marking the bpms on your vinyl and practicing a set before you hit the gig or using a CDJ's master tempo to mix in key - not 'cheating' at all.

If you think this is 'cheating' you must also think that brain surgery is cheating death, and that the automobile is an unfair way to get around for those people still riding horses.

I'm surprised you consider this 'cheating' and you are interested in final scratch and serato like products, since they don't enrich the art of DJing in any way, but only make it easier to carry around music and beatmatch.

It's true that it's "easy" to DJ with ableton, but only if you're operating under the old definition of DJing, which is now obsolete with ableton. If you're using ableton to do what you can do on vinyl, that's foolish. Ableton lets you do things you could never dream of doing with final scratch and serato scratch live, which I used for approximately two years before taking ableton seriously.
Clovis
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
i tried once but the serial number i had wouldn't work :p in all seriousness I just prefer the ideals behind the good old 1210s, a good mixer & good vinyls :)

So he didnt actualy hit any nails did he?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 
Privacy Statement