return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

 
Mixing Psy
View this Thread in Original format
Light The Fuse
A lot of psy tunes seem to be full songs instead of dj friendly tracks. Any tips on mixing it? Is it all keymixing? Or do ya have to make edits of all ur tunes?

anywho tips would be kool :)
Loignite
They are edited into the tracks during production -- ie, those tracks are made with those quotes from the start. They're not randomly played during the track as an overlap (well I'm sure some DJ does it, but for all purposes...)
s3nate
I try mixing in key but sometimes it sounds good when it is out of key. I just mix the intros/outros, surprisingly they don't sound that bad even though there is a lot of stuff going on. Either that or you mix different psytrance than I do.

Download one of my mixes in my sig if you want and example how to mix it.
Glassball
I know what you mean when you say a lot of the tracks aren't dj friendly. Some tracks just don't break down til the last 30 seconds, so it requires playing more with the highs and mids with a quicker transition. So far I haven't done a single keyed mix and I don't think most psy-dj's do. Most psytracks have more than one breakdown and buildup. If you know you're tracks well, you could do transitions in the middle of songs, but I usually let the whole track play.
s3nate
You could also mix the ambient parts, which sometimes sounds good.
DJ Z
quote:
Originally posted by Glassball
I know what you mean when you say a lot of the tracks aren't dj friendly. Some tracks just don't break down til the last 30 seconds, so it requires playing more with the highs and mids with a quicker transition. So far I haven't done a single keyed mix and I don't think most psy-dj's do. Most psytracks have more than one breakdown and buildup. If you know you're tracks well, you could do transitions in the middle of songs, but I usually let the whole track play.


absolutely dude...another thing i will do is remix/edit the track to make it DJ friendly (for myself haha)...
Light The Fuse
hey cheerz all for the help - worked it out - actually really fun to play - but yeah thanks for the advice

will download ur mix s3nate when i get the chance :)
punjabi
i find mixing that ambient parts/breakdowns works well.

have an ambient part of your incoming track cued, and when the outgoing track hits a breakdown, bring in the other track and no one will know that it's 2 ambient parts playing at once. then just wait for a good spot to fade the outgoing track out.
J:\Digital
Mixing the ambient parts of the tunes consistently will IMO, really kill the banging flow of a psy set... Psy (Full on and Dark) is banging, faster tunes... Mixing breakdowns (which I have read from the majority in here) is the easy way out... skip to the first beat of the track, and mix from there... when mixing out, psy transistions are generally alot quicker, cuts involved, etc...

Mixing Psy the same way you mix Trance doesn't work out well..
Ian
quote:
Originally posted by J:\Digital
skip to the first beat of the track, and mix from there... when mixing out, psy transistions are generally alot quicker, cuts involved, etc...

Mixing Psy the same way you mix Trance doesn't work out well..


i'd echo these sentiments. With the basslines often being very samey, it gives you the chance to cut one tunes bass & have the others on full and you can quickly switch over.

chandler
You have to know how your psy track ends, and choose a transition with the other track accordingly, if you pick the wrong spots the mix will sound lame.

That's perhaps the hardest part of mixing psy, beatmatching on the other hand is very simple, almost all tracks come in standard easly recognizable BPMs.

But remember, the most important skill of a psy DJ is knowing how to create a trip for the audience. :cool:
Glassball
quote:
Originally posted by chandler
You have to know how your psy track ends, and choose a transition with the other track accordingly, if you pick the wrong spots the mix will sound lame.

That's perhaps the hardest part of mixing psy, beatmatching on the other hand is very simple, almost all tracks come in standard easly recognizable BPMs.

But remember, the most important skill of a psy DJ is knowing how to create a trip for the audience. :cool:


Some good points indeed.
I just don't think that beatmatching should be easy because of the fantastic BPM counters. Beatmatching should become easy because of your ability to beatmatch by ear.

Don't use the BPM counters to mix psy. Don't use the BPM counters to mix anything.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
 
Privacy Statement