return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - Texas & S. Central USA

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
city of dallas locked-down club blue
View this Thread in Original format
iclone
watched a report on nbc5 tonight -- the city of dallas has "determined" club blue is the source of the majority of downtown dallas's crime. it's rescinded club blue's late night license and wants to close its doors permanently. any idea what's going on with this and if ATB's still hitting the decks thursday?
Matthias
quote:
Originally posted by iclone
the city of dallas has "determined" club blue is the source of the majority of downtown dallas's crime.


:conf: How'd they figure that? I havent been there but twice...
Progress Ent.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...e.44f7ced9.html

quote:
The owner of downtown nightclub Blue is suing Dallas City Hall in federal court for $12 million, accusing the city of extortion, slander, fraud and repeated violations of its U.S. constitutional rights under the first, fourth, fifth, ninth and fourteenth amendments.

The lawsuit primarily stems from Blue's accusation that the city denied the club a permit to operate between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m. and has sought various restrictions on club operations, including banning patrons under the age of 21.

"The city is using the dance hall license to discriminate against certain places," said attorney John Stewart, who's representing Blue's owner, Noir Brothers Restaurants, Inc.

Mr. Stewart says some city officials do not want a club primarily patronized by blacks, Hispanics and Asians operating downtown.

"The city wants a white club downtown," he said.

Dallas City Attorney Tom Perkins said Monday morning that he hadn't yet seen the lawsuit but planned to review the matter with his staff later in the day.

Many city officials have long considered Blue an epicenter of downtown crime, and the Dallas Police Department says it expends about 80 percent of its downtown resources in the wee hours of weekend mornings to patrol the areas near Blue.

Blue operator Keith Black, however, said his club is an asset to downtown's economy and the city often unfairly blames Blue for crimes unassociated with the club.

The city and Rita Sweeney, a Dallas developer who received more than $1 million city tax incentives to rehabilitate the building inside which Blue now operates, are also embroiled in a spat over $12 million in tax incentives for a new downtown hotel and 52-story condominium project Ms. Sweeney and her husband, Lawrence Sweeney, want to build.

The Dallas City Council's Economic Development and Housing Committee has, to date, told the Sweeneys that they will not consider them for new tax incentives until they ensure Blue adheres to several conditions, including banning cellphones, installing metal detectors, increasing security, outlawing glass containers and requiring all patrons to be at least 21.
architect1803
quote:
Originally posted by iclone
watched a report on nbc5 tonight -- the city of dallas has "determined" club blue is the source of the majority of downtown dallas's crime. it's rescinded club blue's late night license and wants to close its doors permanently. any idea what's going on with this and if ATB's still hitting the decks thursday?


screw that lol
djjonas
quote:
Originally posted by iclone
watched a report on nbc5 tonight -- the city of dallas has "determined" club blue is the source of the majority of downtown dallas's crime. it's rescinded club blue's late night license and wants to close its doors permanently. any idea what's going on with this and if ATB's still hitting the decks thursday?


As of today he will still be here
Slow Motion
Another reason not to go out in Dallas.

Crime and a ty mayor... and an indifferent police department (for the most part).
djjonas
quote:
Originally posted by Slow Motion
Another reason not to go out in Dallas.

Crime and a ty mayor... and an indifferent police department (for the most part).


AAAAAAAAAAmen to that. I live in Dallas (well, Carrollton, so North Dallas) and my wife and I have come to the point where we hate going out in Dallas. Went to Austin this weekend and said the same thing I always do. "wish Dallas' nightlife was like it is here." But Dallas will never have that because of everything you just stated.
iclone
so this just means an earlier set?

nights like tiesto and pvd have brought in a completely different crowd from the one that's typically at BLUE. imo, S4 [the village] would be a better venue overall for bigger events -- especially on a week night!

[and for whoever says something about it being in oak lawn, STFU]
djjonas
quote:
Originally posted by iclone
so this just means an earlier set?

nights like tiesto and pvd have brought in a completely different crowd from the one that's typically at BLUE. imo, S4 [the village] would be a better venue overall for bigger events -- especially on a week night!

[and for whoever says something about it being in oak lawn, STFU]



This thing won't go past 2:00 anyway. Talked to the promo team and they don't anticipate it going past 2am

I think it should be in Oak Lawn
Progress Ent.
quote:
Originally posted by iclone
so this just means an earlier set?

nights like tiesto and pvd have brought in a completely different crowd from the one that's typically at BLUE. imo, S4 [the village] would be a better venue overall for bigger events -- especially on a week night!

[and for whoever says something about it being in oak lawn, STFU]
S4 won't work with any of the promoters in town (or so I'm told, I haven't approached them because I've had 4 different promoters tell me that). They are only willing to give Tuesday & Sunday nights up right now. I know one promoter who had success, and that hinged on a November 22nd Paul Oakenfold show that that promoter lost due to Paul's agent giving it to someone else. That show would have been on a Wednesday, but it's the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

There is a new venue in planning in Dallas that will be Dallas' first true superclub outside of S4 if the owners stay true to what they have said they are doing with it. Not going to name it, but let's just say it's owned by they same guys that own that one bar that's high in the sky....After it opens & has some success, I think you will see more of the larger clubs opening here. I know I have recieved an inquiry through a friend of mine on a club based in LA that is looking for a location already.....

Dirk W.
i completely agree with that decision by the city. that place is nothing but trouble on normal nights. people stand in the middle of the street and don't move out of the way because they are talking. fights all the time. i can sit on the balcony of my townhome and watch police helicopters following people leaving that club specifically. gunshots. ambulances all the time. its about time something changed.
iclone
quote:
Originally posted by Progress Ent.
S4 won't work with any of the promoters in town (or so I'm told, I haven't approached them because I've had 4 different promoters tell me that). They are only willing to give Tuesday & Sunday nights up right now. I know one promoter who had success, and that hinged on a November 22nd Paul Oakenfold show that that promoter lost due to Paul's agent giving it to someone else. That show would have been on a Wednesday, but it's the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

There is a new venue in planning in Dallas that will be Dallas' first true superclub outside of S4 if the owners stay true to what they have said they are doing with it. Not going to name it, but let's just say it's owned by they same guys that own that one bar that's high in the sky....After it opens & has some success, I think you will see more of the larger clubs opening here. I know I have recieved an inquiry through a friend of mine on a club based in LA that is looking for a location already.....

interesting, considering how DEAD that place is on wed/thurs. i can't imagine them not wanting to rake in some profit on an off-night.

[PM]
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 
Privacy Statement