return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 
looking for a specific sound
View this Thread in Original format
Sh!fty
is there any one who can reproduce this sound (starts after 37sec)
or at least tell me what kinda synth this is?

Download

greetz, wim
aquila
Sounds like

a) supersaw with a sub-oscillator fm
b) saw with a sub-osc fm, and unison
Eldritch
You can create this sound with a synth with LFO pitch modulation and unison. Distortion or some other form of saturation might also be needed.
Start with a sawtooth wave.
You should use a very high rate on the LFO but the amount shouldn't be too high or it will sound too detuned. Then use unison and
distortion to give it some fatness.
Let me know if you need more help.
Sh!fty
thnx for the help bolth :)

quote:
Originally posted by Eldritch
Let me know if you need more help.

thnx I will
Derivative
There is no pitch modulation on that sound. Its a trick whereby you phase sync 2 (or more) saw wave oscillators then route a really really fast LFO (like 1/64) in series after both oscillators which modulates phase sync along a triangle wave.

Theres also a slower LFO (1/8) controlling the output gain of the synth so that it appears to fade in and out in time with the bass drum.

I built something fairly similar on Virus B. Need to clean it up a bit then I'll post more details on how its done.
Sh!fty
quote:
Originally posted by Derivative
There is no pitch modulation on that sound. Its a trick whereby you phase sync 2 (or more) saw wave oscillators then route a really really fast LFO (like 1/64) in series after both oscillators which modulates phase sync along a triangle wave.

Theres also a slower LFO (1/8) controlling the output gain of the synth so that it appears to fade in and out in time with the bass drum.

I built something fairly similar on Virus B. Need to clean it up a bit then I'll post more details on how its done.

post a sample :)
Derivative
Well heres the basics:

http://media.putfile.com/dirtysaw

In the soundclip pitch bend is controlled on a pitch wheel (which I dont have so sorry about that). I haven't cloned the envelope and filter envelope settings very well because I ran out of modulation sources and couldn't get the attack right.

Basic idea is pretty simple though. You get that really dirty out of tune effect not by detune. You can detune all you want on bog standard saw waves but it will just eventually put the entire sound out of tune.

Use phaseinit on your synth to sync 2 waves. You need a digital/FM synth or some kind of virtual analogue which allows phaseinit. Use an LFO to modulate phase sync on and off really really fast and you get this ed up 'spoiled' kind of sound.
Eldritch
You get the same ing effect with pitch modulation. Not everyone has a Virus TI you know. :rolleyes:
wizniz
lol true that.

on that note, i love that grungy sound!

in my amatuer ways were i forced to make it id say... throw distortion over a supersaw... and a phaser for that treble effect.

but comparatively speaking, im dumb.
Derivative
quote:
Originally posted by Eldritch
You get the same ing effect with pitch modulation. Not everyone has a Virus TI you know. :rolleyes:

Oh stop being dense. You can do it with any digital synth such as FM7. If you can do it with pitch modulation then post a bloody sample instead of rolling eyes and contributing nothing worthwhile to the thread.

Sh!fty
quote:
Well heres the basics:

http://media.putfile.com/dirtysaw

In the soundclip pitch bend is controlled on a pitch wheel (which I dont have so sorry about that). I haven't cloned the envelope and filter envelope settings very well because I ran out of modulation sources and couldn't get the attack right.

Basic idea is pretty simple though. You get that really dirty out of tune effect not by detune. You can detune all you want on bog standard saw waves but it will just eventually put the entire sound out of tune.

Use phaseinit on your synth to sync 2 waves. You need a digital/FM synth or some kind of virtual analogue which allows phaseinit. Use an LFO to modulate phase sync on and off really really fast and you get this ed up 'spoiled' kind of sound.

nice
Eldritch
quote:
Oh stop being dense. You can do it with any digital synth such as FM7. If you can do it with pitch modulation then post a bloody sample instead of rolling eyes and contributing nothing worthwhile to the thread.

http://media.putfile.com/Pitch-Modulation-Synth

I used one saw osc, LFO pitch modulation, unison, a little bit of distortion, EQ, sidechain compression, delay and reverb on this.

By the way, I did contribute to this thread, until you came along and started acting like a know-it-all. How can you be so sure there's no pitch modulation in the original sample anyways?
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement