return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
digital in vs line in
View this Thread in Original format
Tegu
is there much of a sound quality difference between the two? i was reading the cdj1000 mk3 manual, and it has a diagram showing the cdjs connected to the djm800's digital ins. are these digital ins superior to the standard line in on most mixers?
Tony Morello
yes

the sound doesn't need to be converted to an analog signal to get to the mixer because it's digital

no audio conversion = little to no sound quality loss going from component to component
Tegu
interesting...i'm surprised more mixers don't incorporate this. do any other high-end mixers other than the djm800 have it? i know the xone 92 doesn't...
Cheetah86
quote:
Originally posted by Tegu
interesting...i'm surprised more mixers don't incorporate this. do any other high-end mixers other than the djm800 have it? i know the xone 92 doesn't...

It works when the mixer is digital(like the medium, CDs in this case). The DJM-800 is digital, the CDs are digital, so no conversion makes sense. The Xone is an analogue mixer so it works the best when there is no conversion(analogue turntable to analogue mixer). In the case of CD players, it makes sense to have the lowest number of conversions, so the CD players convert the digital signal into an analogue signal, and send it to the analogue mixer. If the Xone had digital inputs it would have to convert it back to analogue anyways since it is an analogue mixer.
Spirit5
It would be nice if the DJM400 had digital in/outs. I mean the 800 does, but I don't really need a four channel mixer, all I have is two CDJs and I wouldn't want to spend all that extra money for it. It would be nice if they included this with the DJM400, but I guess it would be more money if they did. I would think a mixer like the Xone 92 would have this feature as well, heck I would think more mixers nowadays would, esp with the rise of CDJs...
Spirit5
Question...would there be any difference between say a Vestax PCV 275 that I own now, and a DJM 400, as far as sound quality is concerned??
Tony Morello
there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference

the vestax has decent SQ and the pioneer was just released so you would assume it has decent SQ as well

i have yet to play on the new pioneer mixers
Trogdor
quote:
Originally posted by Spirit5 I would think a mixer like the Xone 92 would have this feature as well, heck I would think more mixers nowadays would, esp with the rise of CDJs...
The problem is that the Xone:92 isn't a digital mixer, so it has to be converted to an analog signal regardless. There is really no point to digital ins on a mixer like that. You buy a Xone for the analog, colored sound.

quote:
Originally posted by Spirit5 Question...would there be any difference between say a Vestax PCV 275 that I own now, and a DJM 400, as far as sound quality is concerned??
Yeah, there is a huge difference in sound quality. The 400 sounds way better.
dj_palm
use digital if u can. but theres not alot of mixers that hasnt digital inputs yet. but that will be avaliable soon.
Spirit5
quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor
The problem is that the Xone:92 isn't a digital mixer, so it has to be converted to an analog signal regardless. There is really no point to digital ins on a mixer like that. You buy a Xone for the analog, colored sound.

Yeah, there is a huge difference in sound quality. The 400 sounds way better.

I understand about that I would just think that a mixer that expensive would be digital nowadays.

So would you suggest getting a DJM400 or waiting for a less expensive mixer with digital ins? I really would like a mixer with digital ins, but not spend all that extra money on a 4 channel mixer with a bunch of features I don't need. Just need a simple 2 channel mixer, since I don't plan on adding a TT or another CDJ. Two CDJs is enough for me...

Tegu
quote:
Originally posted by Trogdor
There is really no point to digital ins on a mixer like that. You buy a Xone for the analog, colored sound.

true. the v6 even has special analog tubing on 2 of its lines to add color to flat line in sound. maybe there's a reason high end mixers avoid digital ins.
DJ 00 Tommy
There are many factors here.
A high end mixer may have digital outs so that way the sound quality is more related to the mixer instead of whatever a/d converter you are using.
Ofcourse it would still have analouge outs but where is the downfall if once the coloring is applied it leaves through a digital line.
Im going to get digital for sure when i buy my new mixer.
Instead of the dnx500 im buyin the dnx900.
Digital is the way, there are more and more things to emulate warm analogue sound. Even though its not perfect they will get there.

My main point is if your using something like cd players or computers use digital where you can because if you can make a complete digital path with no analogue conversions the sound clarity will be boosted.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement