return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

dj name - your real name?
View this Thread in Original format
Adambomb337
Do you know of anyone who has used their real name and had privacy issues? Do you think it's safe?

what about people like armin van burren and Paul Oakenfold, is that their real name?
Tony Morello
if you're worried about privacy issues

you could try using a combination, using your real first name and selecting a stage name for your last name, or vice versa, but i'm sure the latter would be more of a risk than the first
J:\Digital
If you are worried about privacy... maybe DJing isn't the thing for you to be doing, considering it can put you in the spotlight..
stevieboy32808
quote:
Originally posted by Adambomb337
Do you know of anyone who has used their real name and had privacy issues? Do you think it's safe?

what about people like armin van burren and Paul Oakenfold, is that their real name?

Yes that's their real name and it's Buuren, not burren.

You mention privacy issues and I'd have to say that there have been cases where artists weren't allowed to use their original name. For example, a TA by the name of Sand Leaper said Sasha had some problems with his dj name because another artist by the same name already had it. Also if you have ever heard of the song "Lola's Theme" by the Shapeshifters, a U.K. artist, they call them Shape_UK here in the states because there is already a rap group by that name here.

If you're planning to use a name from a very famous artist, then chances are you will run into legal trouble if you try to release something under their name because by default it is considered that you are using their name for [monetary, fame, etc] gain. If it is some unknown then it's anybody's ball game from there meaning you better come out with a hit before he/she does so you can claim the original moniker!
Munchy
There's a band called H.I.M., big band in Europe and even in North America, but there's already a band called H.I.M. in the USA so they sell their CD's under the name of H.E.R. :haha:
i got big pants
market a name and cash in on it before somebody else does. :)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement