return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
How much vinyl do you own?
View this Thread in Original format
sakabatou
Ok, so I've been here at TA a while,and I have seen alot of peoples collections which are very impressive, but, how much vinyl do you own?
I own about 45 diff vinyl, and I am proud of my collection, but it doesn't give me much room to mix obviously, so I am currently saving for a new set-up including cdj's.
Now, I will continue buying vinyl,I am sure of this, and when I build my inventory of cd's I will feel more comfortable with more songs to work with in my sets, as I will download tracks and with a cd I can get more tracks per purchase.
Yet, as I will be on vinyl for the next half year(moneys tight), but I just wondered,for those of you who only use vinyl,how do you manage things?
I know you must keep buying vinyl,new songs to work with,mix and ofcourse new songs you fall invloe with,but once you get a library of songs that is big,and some of which you don't use as much,do you sell? or keep incase you need again? I see dj's carry hundreds of vinyl around with them,even for a week's sets.

So how much do you have? and just how much do you keep,when u buy new ones and money is a bit tight,do you sell old ones you rarely use to make money?

Random question with very little detail as to what I am exactly asking,I just would wish to know how vinyl user's manage their music?
Spirit5
Haha I don't buy vinyl anymore for the same reasons. I sold my TTs and now I'm on CDJs and i'm still pretty tight with cash but I can get a whole lot more tunes for the price of one record! Yeah sure it might not have the reall crisp or "warm" sound that vinyl is supposed to have, but it's still music and it sounds good....I own like 160 records or so, just collecting dust. I'm planning to sell some soon so just let me know, I can get give you a good deal on records...I just have to make a list of all the records I own and at what price i'll sell them for...
sakabatou
quote:
Originally posted by Spirit5
Haha I don't buy vinyl anymore for the same reasons. I sold my TTs and now I'm on CDJs and i'm still pretty tight with cash but I can get a whole lot more tunes for the price of one record! Yeah sure it might not have the reall crisp or "warm" sound that vinyl is supposed to have, but it's still music and it sounds good....I own like 160 records or so, just collecting dust. I'm planning to sell some soon so just let me know, I can get give you a good deal on records...I just have to make a list of all the records I own and at what price i'll sell them for...

Cheers mate,I'm looking for some vinyl pieces at the moment,even though I'm saving for an ibizan holiday,and the way things are going I always will use vinyl, even in a set-up with cdj's.
Make a list and I may be interested,but I understand where your coming from, vinyl costs alot,and I just cannot afford a proper collection.
Demoted
I have cdjs, so none really. I have one copy of Max Graham feat. Jessica Riddle - I Know You're Gone just because I liked the song and heard it was going to be a limited release. In fact, I think juno has already stopped selling it. Along with the fact that Max said there probably won't be another release of it because of licensing issues. I'll probably sell it sometime and get some extra change for it :disbelief
i got big pants
got about 3 record crates worth...i usually try and organize my records by sub-genres, and thats about it. I personally try and keep tracks i dont tend to play on a regular basis just in the instance I feel like playing them.
Freak
quote:
So how much do you have?

stopped count at 10,000.....got to be somewhere over 15,000 and less than 20,000 now at a rough guestimate, although i really dont want to know....as then ill start working out costs and values etc which i really dont want to do!

quote:
and just how much do you keep,

All of them!

quote:
when u buy new ones and money is a bit tight,do you sell old ones you rarely use to make money?

Nope. If I sell any, it is because they have been bought for the sole purpose to sell on for profit. I sometimes buy bulk lots, pick the ones I want, then sell the rest individually on ebay or in smaller lots. These are completely seperate from my own collection and are stored seperately.

Despite having 3 CDJs I still find myself using a lot of vinyl- partially because its just such a pain in the ass to transfer from vinyl to cd, and partially because i love using it so much.

The sad thing is- I can tell you where each and every record is stored from memory, and where I got each record too. Its like each record has a memory attached to it.
As for the cost, Ive built it up over the years, but anything i spend on records is a business expense which=less tax....so the more the merrier! Some of my finest (and most valuable) records have been found for very little cash in the most unlikely places so its not about the cash at all. Its a passion for vinyl.

Much prefer vinyl to cds in terms of storage too....they look better and stack/rack better. I have a couple of thousand cds too and they just piss me off how awkward they are to store even when in cd wallets.

Ive said it before....its more addictive than crack and twice the price.
J:\Digital
quote:
Originally posted by Freak
stopped count at 10,000.....got to be somewhere over 15,000 and less than 20,000 now at a rough guestimate, although i really dont want to know....as then ill start working out costs and values etc which i really dont want to do!

So lets average 17,500.. ;) @ $8 = $$140,00.00

There.. now you don't have to work out the costs.. :D I did you a favor. :stongue:
Protege
Just started up with vinyl so I only have about 30 or so and growing. I dont think Ill ever get rid of them either. I want to be that uncle that kids go see and play around with some old vinyl and be like whoa youre old. And then the are inspired to be the next Tiesto lol
Timski
I don't really want to bother counting all mine... but i have a many few crates worth and I sit them all on the couch behind my decks... and it is now filled up with all my vinyl crates... Then there is my primary box which sits on the table next to my decks (thus containing all my latest/greatest).

I have no cd's and dont really ever plan on getting cdj's in the near future...

Its still growing all the time... I don't like been a tightarse with buying vinyl... It means too much to me to not have something in my posession.
Allen Mueller
I've got about 4 crates worth of vinyl. I have tried cdjs and just don't like the feel. I recently got Serato and love it. It lets me take advantage of all the download sites and cost savings, but still keep the feel I like.

Allen

Ygrene
I've got around 450 now. I'll continue to buy them until everything gets released digitally and I don't think I'll ever sell them; each individual record is very personal to me in one way or another, lol, as funny as that sounds. I really don't organize mine that well, I usually bunch them in groups of 15 tracks or so that I like to play together for the time being. And every other week or so, I mix and match and the process continues.

p.s. - between Freaks DJ Set-Up and his record collection I'd just like to say: :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)
blacknoizybox
strictly zero! :toothless
after i get my hands on SSL ill probably buy a few tunes on vinyl if i dont find them on beatport,audijelly,p2p:rolleyes:
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement