return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Promo Vinyl?
View this Thread in Original format
inflight101
So I'm talking to a DJ friend of mine and I'm asking him how many new records he buys each month. He tell me almost none, but he get about 250 promo records a month. He says he belongs to some mailing list.

Is there such a thing? And what exaclty is the difference between a normal record and a promo?
chubbs
quote:
Originally posted by inflight101
Is there such a thing? And what exaclty is the difference between a normal record and a promo?

I can't really provide any insight into the existence of a mailing list, but I can tell you the difference between a regular release and a promo.

A promo release is usually distributed in limited numbers a month or so at least before the scheduled final release on the label (e.g. with the nicely done cover and RRP).
In my experience, they usually turn up at record stores from the distributors i.e. Discomania, Astral Music, etc and contain a bit of info on a piece of paper in the sleeve about the artist, the genre of the release and possible DJs that will support it. Generally the label is blank and unmarked, however larger labels will print special promo labels for their promo tunes e.g. Tidy Trax.
Their purpose afaik is for the record stores that receive them to distribute them to their customers they think will appreciate the track and play it in public to drum up interest before the official release.

If anyone wants to add anymore info or correct me, feel free to. I've only been collecting tunes/mixing for less than 6 months anyway, heh.
skot_e
I'm not using, and it's mp3, but...
http://releasepromo.com/
djxtension
There are some vinyl mailing-lists out there. I did a search on them a while ago, and most of them send between 10 and 100 vinyls a month.

I don't think they are all that interesting, because you never know what they'll send you, and paying $100 for 5 quality records and 5 ty records each month is not really worth it if you ask me.
inflight101
quote:
Originally posted by djxtension
There are some vinyl mailing-lists out there. I did a search on them a while ago, and most of them send between 10 and 100 vinyls a month.

I don't think they are all that interesting, because you never know what they'll send you, and paying $100 for 5 quality records and 5 ty records each month is not really worth it if you ask me.

Do you happen to have a list of those mailing lists?
s3nate
quote:

I wouldn't mind getting some free promos :D
Timski
I generally stay away from the white label stuff... Most of the time its rubbish and i dont really have the paitence to sift though 100 ty vinyls.... thinking that i might be able to play them at some point... I would rather just spend the money on a quality release.
djxtension
quote:

A quick search on Google will probably give you plenty of results...
Nemesis44
quote:
Originally posted by Timski
I generally stay away from the white label stuff... Most of the time its rubbish and i dont really have the paitence to sift though 100 ty vinyls.... thinking that i might be able to play them at some point... I would rather just spend the money on a quality release.

Agreed.

I am on about 3 mailing lists at the moment but honestly the majority of what you get is utter e. Not worth the hastle.

The only DJs who get quality releases are the top 100 or so. The rest of us mortals get stuck with what the record distributors don't think will work and chance the fact that we might be able to get a dodgy release to sell.

Sometimes there are some underestimated gems that end up in the bundle, but these days it's rare.

To the original poster, I'm not sure what your friend plays but if it's EDM then there is a good chance that he doesn't get much worth swiging a cat at unless he is like one of the top DJs in the country.

Some mailing lists offer membership if you pay, but I would never pay for the guff that I get sent for free. Sometimes I even think about getting myself taken off them.

If I get sent pre releases that rock it's because I know someone at the company or the producer in question.

Cheers
Nem
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement