return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
CDJ or DJ Turntables for a nOOb?
View this Thread in Original format
leph555
So, im pretty new to tranceaddict but i have been listening to Trance for almost 5 years now! I have always wanted a dj set up, but i have a hard time deciding between CDJ's and Turntables. I just wanted to know what can you recomend to a noob for a budget of only $1,200 ? Like what mixer, etc ? :conf:
Spirit5
2 CJ 200s ($800), and an inexpensive mixer, like something for $299, like a Numark DXM06 or 09, a Vestax PCV 275, or a Pioneer DJM 300. A pair of headphones for around $60 to 80%, either the Senheiser HD212 (I have them, pretty decent for a $60 pair), or you could get the Stanton DJ Pro 200, for $80, or the Sony MDR-V600 for approx $99, a bit more. I'de just go for something like the HD 212, good isolation and bass response, but maybe not as loud as the others. But this my recommendation, and money for MP3 or WAVs (just use 320 kbps MP3s, they don't sound that much different from WAV, saves $$). Unless you have MP3s already...
Spirit5
I would not recommend vinyl TTs for newbies, unless you have a lot of money for records and are really serious about it. Seems like more and more people are just getting CDJs to start out with anyways. If you don't live near a record store, you will have to order them online and it costs extra for shipping and you have to wait for records to be available, ones you can just get on MP3 anyways, without having a waiting period.
leph555
what are some of the best websites were i will be able to find all this for sale?
Spirit5
quote:
Originally posted by leph555
what are some of the best websites were i will be able to find all this for sale?

What I would do is not order online but instead go to a guitar center if you have one around you and bargain with them. They are SO easy to bargain with, and they should give you a package price for everything to fit your budget. It's not as easy to bargain online. They have a website "Musiciansfriend.com" but things don't go on sale often on there, unless they are used or on clearance. You might be able to get a Vestax PCV 275 on clearance somewhere or on ebay. But try GC first.
Spirit5
I don't completely trust online shops. I don't completely trust GC either, but it's better IMO to see the product before buying it, because i've heard of people getting ripped off. I don't think i'de buy anything that expensive online either, but thats just me...
leph555
Well yea i guess i will try my nearest Guitar Center but yea i guess i will stick with CDJ's because i have man legal mp3's already and i really do not have much space for vinyl.
Spirit5
quote:
Well yea i guess i will try my nearest Guitar Center but yea i guess i will stick with CDJ's because i have man legal mp3's already and i really do not have much space for vinyl.

Yeah try GC first and then look online for deals but stay away from 123dj.com, they are scam artists. I've heard some questionable things about Hollywooddj.com too, but I think they are a little more respectable. CDJs are definitely the way to go for equipment these days, you wont waste all the money on vinyl if you wind up not wanting to do it. I spent hundreds of dollars on vinyl and I winded up playing the same tunes over and over, the same anthemic stuff, and I wanted to branch out, but i didn't have the space nor money to do so, so I sold them and bought CDJs (1000 MK2s). I might get a TT someday when I have room to play old records...but I don't have the room for both right now.
leph555
Also will i be able to scratch even a little with the CDJ-200's? or not at all?
Spirit5
quote:
Also will i be able to scratch even a little with the CDJ-200's? or not at all?

No you can't scratch. If you want to do that, you have to get the CDJ 800 or the 1000. Most 800s are like $500 to $550, the CDJ 1000s are a little over $1,000 a piece. You could get the 800s, but you might have to get a crappy mixer to meet your budget, but I've heard some decent things about those Numark DXM 06 or 09s. So with some negotiating you might be able to get the 800s, and they have the 800 Mk2s out now, but you could get a deal on some 800 MK1s, the original model.

Spirit5
The CDJ 200s are good for people who haven't touched vinyl, the 800 or 1000s are good for those like myself who started on TTs and wanted to move to CDJs. You'de only need to scratch if you were either a guy like James Zabiela or Eddie Halliwell, or a turntablists and hip hop DJ. The CDJ 200s have a more accurate pitch then the 800s though, it's the same as the 1000s (without the vinly emulating platter of the 1000).
leph555
Yea i guess am going to have to bargain alot with them but i will post the outcome! Thanks for all this helpful info!
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement