return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

a bit confused about when to change needles
View this Thread in Original format
hiram
ok so ive read some of the more recent threads on changing needles and the general comment is that they should last you a while. thing is i got one of those numark battle packs to learn and it came with needles, im sure those needles arent the best quality and i dunno if should change them..i just got to thinking when i caught a little cracking and poping on the break of a song. but thats normal with vinyl. your thoughts please
IntegraR0064
quote:
Originally posted by hiram
ok so ive read some of the more recent threads on changing needles and the general comment is that they should last you a while. thing is i got one of those numark battle packs to learn and it came with needles, im sure those needles arent the best quality and i dunno if should change them..i just got to thinking when i caught a little cracking and poping on the break of a song. but thats normal with vinyl. your thoughts please

Well, I just let mine go until it's obvious they need to be replaced. After a few years with my old stanton cartridges one channel (usually left) would cut out from time to time. The other cartridge was feeling it too, just not quite in the same way...it basically sounded "dull".

To my knowledge a cartridge won't start crackling when it's old...at least that hasn't happened to me.
veezee
*MOST* of the time when needles are going, they will start to collect alot of dust under the needle while the records are turning.

Take a close look at the needle, you will see that it is not right. Generly, if you use your tables every day for a couple hours, 6 months would be a good time to change them..

Jay
Nsonic
quote:
Originally posted by veezee
Take a close look at the needle, you will see that it is not right. Generly, if you use your tables every day for a couple hours, 6 months would be a good time to change them..

And of course, its less than 6 months if:
-its your first turntables/set of needles (and new to handling them)
-you like to do some scratching
-you find it takes you a while to find the first beat of the song
-you're clumsy
-you put more than enough weight on the tonearm

You'll hear a difference in sound quality too, i think the main thing is....the highs go a little distored and crackly?
Vlad
Honestly, youll know in the sound of the tracks when they play if you need to change your carts. Sound could be a bit choppy, could be alittle muddy... there are a bunch of possibilities - but usually the quality of the sound is the main indicator.
Protege
quote:
Originally posted by Nsonic
And of course, its less than 6 months if:
-its your first turntables/set of needles (and new to handling them)
-you like to do some scratching
-you find it takes you a while to find the first beat of the song
-you're clumsy
-you put more than enough weight on the tonearm

You'll hear a difference in sound quality too, i think the main thing is....the highs go a little distored and crackly?

Bumped instead of making a new thread.
I just got a mk5 2 weeks ago and Im noticing now that the highs sound distorted. Does this mean that I need a new cart or do you think Im putting too much weight on the tonearm or something?
blacknoizybox
im more concerned over how much will the needle work for SSL before is has problems reading the timecode
anyone?
dj christian
Normally it takes a couple of hours or more for new needles to run in the groove. The diamond tip of the needles is bit uncut and sharp at the beginning so a good advice would be to play your crappy records in your pile for a while before you start to play your precious records with your new needles:D
blacknoizybox
interesting hmmm....tnx
mzvirbulis
OK.

i have had my carts since i bought my decks, about 2 years but have replaced my stylus every 9 months.
when should i look at buying new carts, in what way do carts deteriate(breakdown). i dont think there would be much stress on them so you could probably get buy with them for a while and just keep buying new stylus?

skot_e
Firstly, how can a diamond tip stylus 'wear in' when rubbed against a piece of plastic (which is so easily scratched).

As for the cart, as long as your not constantly taking it appart (ie disconnecting the wires) you should have no issues. Maybe the connections made with the tonearm could get a bit dirty if constantly taking on and off, but just clean them.
I have never noticed any fidelity issues with old stylus, just dirty records. Only time I have ever replaced a needle if when the tip breaks off the plastic it is fixed to.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement