return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: [1] 2 3 
best midi keyboard
View this Thread in Original format
djsessem
hi guys its close to my bday and my girl asked me what i wanted i said a midi keyboard, the only thing is i dont really wanna spend over 200, which is the best 1 for that price? thanks for ya time
btm
my mate has an evolution mk 449c and its pretty champ.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/18999

Digital Village have it for 120

Cant go wrong with that
djyouth
Unless you're doing live performances, you won't be needing all the knobs and faders.

M-Audios Keystation 49e is a better pick for the home pro musician:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/24171

mef
quote:
Originally posted by djyouth
Unless you're doing live performances, you won't be needing all the knobs and faders.

M-Audios Keystation 49e is a better pick for the home pro musician:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/24171

+1 all you want is something to basically manipulate midi info. just get the best but dont break the bank about it :p
Kaidreas
the edirol pcr-1? that's seems like a good thingie, but it a short keyboard controller
DigiNut
I'm not positive how that price translates to dollars, but I believe that the Edirol PCR-50/PCR-M50 or even the 70 would be in that price range.

Emu keyboards are also nice. Personally, I don't like the M-Audio stuff and a few other people I've talked to didn't like them either. They've got kind of a cheap feel compared to the ones I mentioned above.
mef
i have an emu proteus keys pk-6. serves me very well :)
UnWorldly
I have an evolution mk 461C which I enjoy very much. I really like that I didn't have to with firmware to get it to work on linux like is necessary for so many other midi devices, supposedly the evolution mk keyboards follow a standard of some sort which made using it as simple as just plugging the thing in. Supposedly alot of the other m-audio keyboards have firmware issues. It is all hard plastic which is probably a little toy like but it serves its purpose decently.

I do have one tiny question about it though

Are both the pitch and the mod wheels supposed to move back to the center setting after being turned? On mine only one of the wheels does this and I am not sure whether it is on purpose or because it is broken. I just use that other wheel for when I want the setting to stay for a little while so it really doesnt bother me that much that it doesnt move back to the center, but I was wondering if it was designed that way or if the previous owner broke it. I got mine on ebay from a person in san francisco.
groundzero74
I've been using a Roland A-33 for years, never had any complaint, i don't know if they still sell them though ...
Rob
quote:
Originally posted by UnWorldly
Are both the pitch and the mod wheels supposed to move back to the center setting after being turned? On mine only one of the wheels does this and I am not sure whether it is on purpose or because it is broken.

Pitch bend wheels are spring loaded to spring back into their original position, while mod wheels arn't.

DigiNut
quote:
Originally posted by Rob
Pitch bend wheels are spring loaded to spring back into their original position, while mod wheels arn't.

Also something to keep in mind when purchasing is that this is not the case on the Edirols. Their pitch wheels and mod wheels are combined into one and both return to the original position.

I was skeptical about that when I bought it, but after getting used to it I actually like it much better.

Honestly, for anyone buying a keyboard, if there are any stores in your area that have them on display, I would *strongly* suggest actually checking them out in person. I for one found it far more useful than looking at specs. There are certain nuances that only really present themselves when it's sitting right in front of you.
El Kay Dee
i went quite cheap and bought an M- Audio Radium 49 in december...serves me the purpose i need so im quite happy with it...

bought it for about CDN $ 150
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement