return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 
How Long do you Usually Keep Your Tracks Running for???
View this Thread in Original format
djbruuen
Just curious...when you make your sets, generally speaking, how long do you usually keep each song running for.

I ask because i know many ppl are different on this, where some run their tracks long with full intros and outro's and other put the songs right to the point...generally speaking i usually keep each track running time about 4 minutes...by i'm slowly starting to add some more length occasionally
djkoolaide
Usually about 5 minutes when recording mix CDs. But if I do anything live, I try to keep it to about 4 minutes.
Tony Morello
i play it for as long as i need to play it
each mix is different, you shouldn't try put a formula to your mixing
just let it flow and do what sounds good
KiNeTiC ENeRgY
depends on what type of choons your playing...trance needs to be played the whole way through...progressive and techno you can mix in and out of basically when you want to. I like to let tracks play all the way. If you pick good tracks, you don't have to mix out of the middle to keep the crowd moving or interested.
djbruuen
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Morello

i was just anticipating such a comment. i knew someone wouldn't like me putting time restraints on how long songs run for. but different djs do tend to lean toward the longer side. or the shorter side...personally i like to get just enough of the track in to satisfy my needs, and that of the crowd...but i know in toronto, many djs will let a song drop for a good 6-7minutes in some occasions...and that can be fine as well if the songs have the right vibe to them. i know not everyone will like this question, but i just want to know if you're generally the type of dj to get right to the point, or like to let the songs run on.

ps. house and techno i usually play longer, cause since their styles are simpler then trance, i can have some fun with them putting in my own input and creating a certain vibe...but with trance, i usually like to leave the song alone, too many effects ruin the vibe, and any good dj knows that. so in most occasions i just let trance play and maybe do some mild equing for mixing purposes only.
FirstBorn
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Morello

What he said. :D
roosh
average live: 5 minutes

But if the crowd is REALLY digging the song, I play it out for them.
tu_face
i think it depends on the length of the tune/the situation you play it in.

sometimes i will play only 2 minutes of a track, sometimes i will play all of a 12 minute track.

its impossible to say because tracks are different lengths/have different purposes :)
joegalvan
1-2 mins (House) ;-)

Trance... Whatever it takes to sound good! :gsmile:
djbruuen
quote:
Originally posted by joegalvan
1-2 mins (House) ;-)

Trance... Whatever it takes to sound good! :gsmile:

1-2 minutes??? :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: damn, i hate djs like you, right when i'm getting into the song, out it goes.

DJ_Ikronix
Drum 'n bass? Typically < 2 minutes.

Trance? Generally speaking, less than 4 minutes.
tu_face
quote:
Originally posted by djbruuen
1-2 minutes??? :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: damn, i hate djs like you, right when i'm getting into the song, out it goes.

sometimes i even play about 30 secs of a certain track to cut in over the top of other stuff. does that make me a bastard? :p
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 
Privacy Statement