return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

2 m3d, different torque
View this Thread in Original format
mndeg
I have 2 m3d's one of em when I hold the record still with a finger I can feel it pushing, wanting to spin
the other I hold it and there is no resistance at all, so I have to push it to start it up
which one is broken?
Dirk W.
Obviously the one without any resistance has a problem. The platter should spin firmly underneath while holding a record. Stupid question I hope, but I am sure you are using slipmats. Anyways, you might want to get the turntable with the platter stopping problem checked out.

As a side note: Different records are going to grip differently. Therefore some records are more prone to stopping the platter and in extreme cases such as warped records, they may not affect the way it spins at all.
Spin Doctor
quote:
Originally posted by Dirk W.
As a side note: Different records are going to grip differently. Therefore some records are more prone to stopping the platter and in extreme cases such as warped records, they may not affect the way it spins at all.

Exactly, Id say that its nothing to worry about at all.
tu_face
if you are worried about one of the deck's motor being fuckered, see which one takes the most resistance to actually stop the platter momentarily (without a record on).

but yeah, i would say that its more to do with the records you are using from what you have said. some are really thick heavy bastards which take a bit more effort to manipulate, and some are thinner & lighter, meaning they are lighter to the touch. then you have warped records, maybe you had 2 warped records, and had one with the warped bit down, and the other with the wared bit up. on some of my records that are warped, if you start the platter from standing, it takes about 5 seconds to get the thing up to speed becase there just isn't enough friction between the record & slipmat, and then if you touch the record at all it will just stop.

i generally fix this problem with some rizla's and selotape in the middle of the unaffected side, so that it creates more friction between record & slipmat. obviously, if you want to resell you records, or keep them in fantastico mintola condition, dont do it, because if you try and take it off again it will probably pull the label off the record. :)

rizla's are also a great solution for records with big holes.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement