return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > Archives > Classic old threads / Inactive Forums > UEFA Euro 2004

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
France's tainted victory
View this Thread in Original format
evil_bastard
I think this deserves a thread of it's own as I consider it easily the most controversial moment of the tournament so far.

The rules of football dictate that if you foul the last player on goal you automatically recieve a red card.

England were rightly awarded a penalty after 72 minutes (which Beckham missed) for this horrible challenge, but France were allowed to keep 11 men on the field. France scored 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to win 2-1 against England.

I don't care who played better or who "deserved" to win (certainly it wasn't France, whatever way you look at it), but the referee has directly influenced the result and has probably cost England their chances of winning group B. I can imagine this referee is very popular in France right now.

You may call me bitter. Indeed I am. What happened today was an injustice, but it is not over yet.

Come on England.
fastmp3
you know what's sad ? you can't unfortunately reverse the results :toothless the best thing that can happen is the referee getting suspended for a while , that's it :toothless but it's still 2-1 for France and England not being able to win the Group B :toothless
Fundamental
quote:
Originally posted by evil_bastard
The rules of football dictate that if you foul the last player on goal you automatically recieve a red card.

And did David James get a red card when he fouled Henry? No, he didn't. :rolleyes:
evil_bastard
quote:
Originally posted by Fundamental
And did David James get a red card when he fouled Henry? No, he didn't. :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that evens it out?!

It was the last kick of the game, a penalty, which France scored. Would have been the same if we put Beckham in goal.

It's unlikely France could have won if Silvestre had got his marching orders.
schnegggge
quote:
I think this deserves a thread of it's own as I consider it easily the most controversial moment of the tournament so far.

England were rightly awarded a penalty after 72 minutes (which Beckham missed) for this horrible challenge, but France were allowed to keep 11 men on the field. France scored 2 goals in the last 2 minutes to win 2-1 against England.

I don't care who played better or who "deserved" to win (certainly it wasn't France, whatever way you look at it), but the referee has directly influenced the result and has probably cost England their chances of winning group B. I can imagine this referee is very popular in France right now.

You may call me bitter. Indeed I am. What happened today was an injustice, but it is not over yet.

Come on England.

I think I know how you feel. The last minutes remembered me about the Champions-League Final in 1999 between Bayern Munich and Manchester United........but hey, that was a final and your match last night was your first game.

:)

So keep your head up and be prepared for the half-final against Germany. (well, maybe not in this tournament, I think our team will leave Portugal in the late evening of the 23.. After their last group-match against the Czech Republik):nervous:

oh, Iīve forgot something, yes the referee last night was a german and he likes to spent his holidays in expensive hotels in France:D :D (just a joke)
I donīt know, where he goes in his holidays....................:)
evil_bastard
quote:
Originally posted by schnegggge
I think I know how you feel. The last minutes remembered me about the Champions-League Final in 1999 between Bayern Munich and Manchester United........but hey, that was a final and your match last night was your first game.

:)

In the bar I was in, people were talking about Bayern Munich in 1999. Even though this wasn't a final, it is difficult not to be angry when your emotions are sky high and seconds later become nervous but hopeful and seconds after that come crashing down to the ground.

But the players can take something out of this. The performance will boost their confidence and the defeat will strengthen their resolve.
Dj Smitty20
quote:
Originally posted by fastmp3
you know what's sad ? you can't unfortunately reverse the results :toothless the best thing that can happen is the referee getting suspended for a while , that's it :toothless but it's still 2-1 for France and England not being able to win the Group B :toothless

you really have the hate for England don't you? I've seen your posts on the Canadian boards. You're full of crap and obviously without a nation to cheer for, so you just put the hate on other teams.

England could have won the group, but they'll certainly advance, bar unforseen disaster. If they can't convincingly beat the Swiss and Croats, then I'll be the first to admit they don't deserve to be in this tournament past the group stage. But I have a feeling they'll put our (yourself not included) fears to rest.
schnegggge
quote:
In the bar I was in, people were talking about Bayern Munich in 1999. Even though this wasn't a final, it is difficult not to be angry when your emotions are sky high and seconds later become nervous but hopeful and seconds after that come crashing down to the ground.

But the players can take something out of this. The performance will boost their confidence and the defeat will strengthen their resolve.

Yes, right. And maybe France fails against Switzerland and Croatia īcause they are to unconserned now, thinking: "We can beat everyone!!"

For me it will be hard on Tuesday morning.
I have to work with someone from England......:nervous: :nervous:
Paulie
Doesnt change the fact, Beckham scores, 2-0 guaranteed win. So lets not blame decision. Also why the would becks take the penalty against a keeper who knows him so well. Ludicrous!

Bad Luck, england is good for the tournament, fingers crossed tehy make next round!
fastmp3
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Smitty20
you really have the hate for England don't you? I've seen your posts on the Canadian boards. You're full of crap and obviously without a nation to cheer for, so you just put the hate on other teams.

England could have won the group, but they'll certainly advance, bar unforseen disaster. If they can't convincingly beat the Swiss and Croats, then I'll be the first to admit they don't deserve to be in this tournament past the group stage. But I have a feeling they'll put our (yourself not included) fears to rest.

i hate the hate for YOU :haha: just kidding mate , i must admit i like being opposed to your opinions ever since those threads on the montreal section , remember ? :toothless

this said , england is still crap :)

evil_bastard
Post-match quotes:

quote:
We have to win two games against Switzerland and Croatia and I think we can do that.

We played extremely well against the world's best football team.

Now it's up with the heads.

Let's hope we can play France on 4 July. We can't always have bad luck.

We thought we had the game won and we should have won it.

You can never control France because they have so many attacking options, but in the 90 minutes they did not have many goalscoring chances.

We must be proud, it's tough to lose - we did not deserve to lose.

If we had lost 3-0 and not created a chance it would be different. The players are professional. They know they did an excellent job tonight. They did everything we asked of them and hopefully it will not be too difficult to lift them up.

If we played this game again I wouldn't change the tactics at all. Except that in the last three minutes we would have put the ball in the stand.
-- Sven Goran Eriksson

quote:
I couldn't have struck it any better. If we'd have gone 2-0 up, it would have finished the game off.

We didn't deserve that but that's football.

We can take a lot from the game. It's important we pick ourselves up and get up for the next match
-- David Beckham

quote:
I'm a little bit down about my mistake but I'll bounce back. But if you're going to make a mistake, you should at least make it early so you've got time to make up for it.
-- Steven Gerrard

quote:
Wayne got the penalty and the man should have probably been sent off as well if you go by the rule-book. That would have changed the game again.

They were also singing a lot afterwards and that has made the lads even more determined to come back and get the right results and try and meet them again.
-- Frank Lampard
Vigilante
ahahahahaha sucked in to Beckham, this penalty miss wasn't as funny as the one when he fell over, but still, :stongue: :stongue: :stongue: :stongue: :stongue:

Zidane is a champion!!!!

Also, in that photo it looks to me that Henry is level with Rooney and Silvestre, so he wasn't clearly the last man. I think that the referee got it right.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Privacy Statement