return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Debate: warez & samples (pg. 3)
View this Thread in Original format
DeZmA
quote:
Originally posted by skytribe
It's one thing to download samples, and create a remix as a learning tool for yourself. Once you start distributing that, however, you've crossed the line. Whether you're taking money for it or not is immaterial.

I have to agree here.
Vert
quote:
Sure, would've still gotten the money, but the point remains that some of the money is earned illegally.

Allow me to say this again:

Stealing someone else's work is wrong. Period.

You don't define stealing though. Using midis and accapellas isn't stealing, unless they were STOLEN from the author. Otherwise they were released and are perfectly fine. Honestly, you are just trying to 'stir up the ', note the word debate in your topic.

"It's one thing to download samples, and create a remix as a learning tool for yourself."
Sorry dude, but that is a shade of gray.You are just going in circles.

So first you say there is only black and white, then you admit there is a shade of gray, THEN you go off attempting to judge a bunch of people on an INTERNET FORUM, and you berate their integrity?

Go up to my post up there, where I said "it is only illegal if you make money off of it". Now you yourself are saying that. Where did your arguement go?

es
DeZmA
but most won't have any bad intention, they just want to be judged on their producing skills and hope to get more replies when they remix their favorite tune.
I don't think posting things were will ever result in any loss of money for the artist..
Psy-T
without that theft your talking about we wouldnt have all the gneres we have today,, so if theft is what it takes,, let the thieves roam freely.

and if you would have preffered it that way (with no theft), why are you using everyday appliances which are based on someone else's idea (electricity).. < just an example
Massive84
i dont get this..

you can all discuss whatever you want..but

facts so far i know

..labels/producers moan when you use their samples in other production of yours, or disturb their productions with the result having them making less money

and the other fact

i yet have to see a producer or label complaining to someone that is remixing a tune..i never saw that so far..

unless it happens, i consider this topic useless imo..

simple thing is, labels/producers complain on fact 1, so forums and such forbid it..but fact 2..no1 experienced tiesto sueing a hobby producer for remixing one of his tune yet..(an example) or any other producer...at least i havn't..and as long that stays like this, i don't see why forums and such should forbid the sharing of midi files?
paranoik0
shut the up all of you about midis. their true use is for making kickass ringtones.
Tranc3
quote:
Originally posted by paranoik0
shut the up all of you about midis. their true use is for making kickass ringtones.
:haha:
Mr.Mystery
quote:
Sorry, guys, but this is one of the very very few issues that I do see as black and white.

If I create a piece of music, it is mine. I decide who gets to do what with it. I don't want people making money off my hard work unless I give them permission to.

Likewise, I'm not going to make money off someone else's hard work. Is integrity a foreign concept to you guys? It's one thing to download samples, and create a remix as a learning tool for yourself. Once you start distributing that, however, you've crossed the line. Whether you're taking money for it or not is immaterial.

I know the real world is shades of grey. But as musicians, we should be upholding a certain standard of integrity here. Theft is wrong. Copyright infringement is wrong. How can you possibly argue against that?

Stop dodging my question and answer it:

How is it a theft if noone gains or loses anything?
skytribe
Someone steals some of my samples... I have then lost control of my intellectual property.
skytribe
Someone steals some of my samples... I have then lost control of my intellectual property.

You can argue semantics a smuch as you want, but the fact remains that taking something without permission is theft.

Vert
quote:

You can argue semantics a smuch as you want, but the fact remains that taking something without permission is theft.

I just downloaded the letters you typed without asking. Is that theft? the entire internet is illegal now.

Get off your high horse and stop imposing your beliefs on others.

es
Mr.Mystery
quote:

Fair enough.

Don't expect to get too far in this business with that attitude, though.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Privacy Statement