return to tranceaddict tranceaddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio

Too much melody/too melodic?
View this Thread in Original format
Max13UT
I'm newb at producing :). I wrote this melody, but i'm wondering if thats way too melodic. Just want some opinions from people who know trance. This is by no means a mix or a final mix, I most probably wouldn't even use the short string sound as the lead. I just wanna know some opinions. Thx everyone.
Filesize 160k :)
http://home.comcast.net/~max.attison/2-25_melody.mp3
Massive84
don't really know what the meaning is of "to melodic"

strings makes it waaaaay to happy :P, don't count it as really trance..

sounds are way to weak.
DJ-Fuq
quote:
Originally posted by Max13UT
I wrote this melody, but i'm wondering if thats way too melodic.

I think u mean too cheesy. Yes it is.
Max13UT
Thx for the input :). i just used the FL sounds for everything except the bassline and percussion. So you're saying that there's no such thing as too much melody?
Edit: Or there's no such thing as too much melody in cheese. :tongue2
Massive84
quote:
Originally posted by Max13UT
Thx for the input :). i just used the FL sounds for everything except the bassline and percussion. So you're saying that there's no such thing as too much melody?
Edit: Or there's no such thing as too much melody in cheese. :tongue2

melody can be everything imo, but each melody fits a specific subject, yours just not trance imo.

for me i don't know how to compose a melody, never played piano or anything but i learned most of playing with the sequencer, and looked alot to midi files, to see how you can construct a typical trance melody.
Max13UT
thx man. i kinda noticed that trance melodies usually have less notes than what i have. like 3 notes per bar or so. or 5 notes per 2 bars.
alanzo
as the king of austria said to Mozart "there are to many notes" :D

but if it sounds good, run with it!
NeoPhono
If you really have your mind set on turning it into a trance track, just use the first four bars of it. I think the last four take away from its flow and extend it a bit too much for a "typical" trance melody. Most of what makes a good trance melody are variations on pretty simple progressions.
moth
1. Sounds like a modified Way out West - Mindcircus
2. Why use Fruity Plucked. Its .. bad...

Keep at it man, potential.
Max13UT
Thx everyone. And Moth I haven't heard Mindcircus, but i'll check it out.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement