return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Scuff Marks Appearing On Vinyl
View this Thread in Original format
DJ M.G
Im looking through my vinyl collection and most of my vinyls seem to have these sort of scuff marks across them, you dont notice them at first look but when u hold them up to the light they can be seen clearly,
They curve out from the centre of the vinyl, there are about 4 lines to one scuff mark.

Even some of my more recent vinyl which were in perfect condition have a small amout of these marks across them i dont understand why?
I dont scratch or thrash my vinyl about, i dont think it has anything to do with the design on my slipmatt because i always have it the other way round.
It dosnt effect the sound quality of the tune but its just irritating when you take it out the sleeve and find these marks across it,

Do i need new needles? what do you reckon i should do?

Thanks
Mark
liquidmist2001
have you tried using a record cleaner? something like gruv glide. i had a couple of records like that but mine didn't play that well either. the owner of the local record store told me to use gruv glide, and after the first cleaning the mark was practically gone, and the record's fidelity improved tremendously. it also gets rid of dust, fingerprints and static caused by frequent playings and removing from sleeves... it might help.
DJ M.G
quote:
Originally posted by liquidmist2001
have you tried using a record cleaner? something like gruv glide. i had a couple of records like that but mine didn't play that well either. the owner of the local record store told me to use gruv glide, and after the first cleaning the mark was practically gone, and the record's fidelity improved tremendously. it also gets rid of dust, fingerprints and static caused by frequent playings and removing from sleeves... it might help.

Cheers thanks for the info, i will go and look for one of these gruv glides tomorrow
liquidmist2001
also, if this doesn't help, you know you'll have something to clean your records whenever they get dusty... gruv glide is also very very good at removing fingerprints. it's the first thing i do to any record that i buy from my local record store unless the record was sealed, don't know how many people have had their hands on it, you know what i'm saying...
Zzyzx
Yes, Gruv-Glide took care of my scuffs as well, as well as the static.

Zzyzx
Freak
its them moving about in their sleeves.

im a pro dj and all of mine have it...unavoidable
waxHead
quote:
im a pro dj and all of mine have it...unavoidable

you can get rice paper sleeves which prevent further scratches from appearing on your records. I use Discwasher VRP sleeves, they work great, tho it can be damn expensive replacing all your recs w/ these. just thought you might find em useful ;)
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE

Privacy Statement