return to tranceaddict TranceAddict Forums Archive > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Booth

Pages: [1] 2 3 
Record shopping: Online or Offline?
View this Thread in Original format
dosed
So where do you guys prefer to buy your tunes? Online stores are fast becoming at least as good as the real life ones, with plenty promos, the ability to listen to good length samples before you buy, and next-day delivery, but you might prefer the traditional thing - walking into the local record shop, getting a nice pile of tunes and having a chat with the (hopefully) friendly staff?

Personally I like a bit of both :)
Evan Almae
Online has always been far superior then going to local shops. Especially here in the States...
Zzyzx
It really depends on your location as well. Living in the middle of the desert, online seems to be the way to go. Just as long as the records don't melt in the UPS truck :happy2:

Zzyzx
Endo
I have never ordered online, too worried about getting warped vinyl. Also now that I live a five minute walk from Release Records and Play de Record in Toronto, I really don't see the need to order online. Support your local record store!
JohnSmith
I shop almost exclusively online for records. There is only one record shop in town, and it's mostly dedicated to hip hop, they have one small little bin with "electronic" stuff in it, usually crap.
Izzy
thats a very good question, each has their own plus' and minus'
i think im giong to go with online, but damn those shipping charges :whip:
SgtFoo
quote:
Originally posted by Endo
I have never ordered online, too worried about getting warped vinyl. Also now that I live a five minute walk from Release Records and Play de Record in Toronto, I really don't see the need to order online. Support your local record store!

that's so sweet!!... whereabouts do you live?? (pm me about that if you want, re:privacy reasons) I wanna get my apartment near that part of Yonge st. too, when I move out next year. I'm just afraid I'll never be able to pay rent. man I'd live in those stores, and becomes the employees's best friends... imagine the vinyl collection I'd get!!!! whoa!
pagoda
Me DJ Digityl and Mindshifter regularly hit up the local shops, but they are usually crap. Sometimes they'll get one copy of a good record in, but that's about it. Still, there's nothing like coming home with fresh vinyl.

That said, I get almost all of mine from online shops, ie Chem and Juno.
Arsalan
quote:
Originally posted by Endo

i tend to order online because there is so much promos, do you get nice trance promos from release records ??

because i know play de doesnt have a lot of good promos.
DJ M.G
Its 50-50 for me though i would prefer to buy records straight from the shop, cos you can tell for yourself, take your time in choosing and listen to the tune on the deck, (If the shop has any!)

Endo
quote:
Originally posted by Arsalan
i tend to order online because there is so much promos, do you get nice trance promos from release records ??

because i know play de doesnt have a lot of good promos.

Well Release has more prog and breaks promos than trance, and I also like the tracks they sign to their label too (subsky-strawberry fields, bjork-pagan poetry etc.)

Sgtfoo I live on U of T campus, I'm the guy you met at Countrystyle after Dumonde last Friday. It's dangerous though living so close to the record shops, I haven't done any studying or bought any books yet, but already have bought 8 records! oh well.
bachatu
Online...
you have a greater selection of stores online than local. Each store has its strong points, depending on what genre you like best. The great thing about online is that you have access to great store across Europe, from UK to NL to Germany.
CLICK TO RETURN TO TOP OF PAGE
Pages: [1] 2 3 
Privacy Statement