Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Fall 2018 Gas
Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Fall 2018 Gas

Right now I feel good with my setup, close to heaven and I know there is more air up there. Also,
Christmas is right around the corner...

01. Replace my eventide with 2 Moog analog Delays.

02. 2 more of vermona filters for remaining synths.

03. DJ Phse System

04. Midas 8 Channel Mic Pre Db25 outs o db 25 in to the apogee since there aren't any pre's on the symphony.

05. 3 More of these, which will be prob next year by time I finish the list.

Old Post Sep-25-2018 01:57  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mel David
Supreme tranceaddict

What are you putting in your ears ?

In-Ear Monitoring Re-Invented!

Discover the new IE 40 from Sennheiser
Most commercially available in-ear headphones are based on technology that actually stems from hearing aids. While their multi-way drivers permit a more compact design – it is at the expense of overall acoustic performance. Consequently, Sennheiser has developed and reinvented the dynamic driver system in many ways. The result finally enables a powerfully large sound in a very small space. The phenomenally low distortion factor is only one of the several advantages.

I'll probably get it around Christmas, when there will be audio profiles available for calibration.

Not intending to purchase it but I want to try out that new IK Multimedia UNO Synth Analog Synthesizer.

Old Post Sep-25-2018 12:50  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for Mel David Click here to Send Mel David a Private Message Visit Mel David's homepage! Add Mel David to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

I'll never use in ear buds for monitoring. Senn are obviously great and know what they're doing but even with open cans, the stereo spread is always off, and with in ear you get no convergence or crossfeed.

It's so much compensation to do that you're spending time mixing around the headphones instead of actually mixing through them.

The other thing I don't like is that it takes a whole lot of factoring to make those tracks that sound great in a club to not sound dull as shit on headphones.

I get if you're doing sound design or editing, but for mixing and producing they're really not the best choice.

Old Post Sep-25-2018 19:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by SynthNinja
Right now I feel good with my setup, close to heaven and I know there is more air up there. Also,
Christmas is right around the corner...

01. Replace my eventide with 2 Moog analog Delays.

02. 2 more of vermona filters for remaining synths.

03. DJ Phse System

04. Midas 8 Channel Mic Pre Db25 outs o db 25 in to the apogee since there aren't any pre's on the symphony.

05. 3 More of these, which will be prob next year by time I finish the list.

The delays and Phase I get

But the rest, I really don't understand.

Why do you need pres? Are you doing vocal recordings and have some great Mics?

Old Post Sep-25-2018 19:05 
Click Here to See the Profile for DJ RANN Click here to Send DJ RANN a Private Message Add DJ RANN to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Re: Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by DJ RANN
The delays and Phase I get

But the rest, I really don't understand.

Why do you need pres? Are you doing vocal recordings and have some great Mics?

The guys who sold me the symphony said this but firs ti get the filters and dlalays plus phase.

I'm skeptical.

Yes, your synths need to go through a DI for proper impedance. The line level converter inputs are balanced (+4, -10) line level. Your instrument outputs need a DI (through a mic. preamp) to properly gain stage. It's not about cable lengths, Juan, you need Mic. Preamps and DI boxes for each synth, in order to interface them to the converters.

Old Post Sep-25-2018 22:44  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for SynthNinja Click here to Send SynthNinja a Private Message Add SynthNinja to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

I kind of want a JX 03 after listening to this demo. Sounds so nice. I've really been enjoying the SH-01A and JP 08. So much power from such a small footprint and low price.

Old Post Sep-26-2018 02:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for alanzo Click here to Send alanzo a Private Message Visit alanzo's homepage! Add alanzo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DJ RANN
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: Fall 2018 Gas

quote:
Originally posted by SynthNinja
The guys who sold me the symphony said this but firs ti get the filters and dlalays plus phase.

I'm skeptical.

Yes, your synths need to go through a DI for proper impedance. The line level converter inputs are balanced (+4, -10) line level. Your instrument outputs need a DI (through a mic. preamp) to properly gain stage. It's not about cable lengths, Juan, you need Mic. Preamps and DI boxes for each synth, in order to interface them to the converters.

That is absolute bollocks.

yes, guitars and microphones definately need DI boxes / preamps.

Synths - not at fucking all. They output at line level and your ensemble inputs are line level so there is no mismatch.

The only possible advantage of using a DI box or pre is is to negate possible interference from grounding issues as the outputs from a synth are unbalanced but this A) may not be an issue due to the fact you're using balanced power conditioners B) have decent cables and C) try not to run power near audio lines.

There's also a line of thought that introducing extra circuitry found in a DI box actually makes the signal path less pure/direct and becuase DI boxes balance the signal, they introduce some level of harmonic distortion.

If this were a live situation where there's long cables runs, masses of powerful equipment and giant magnets (speakers) and transformers (generators/PSUs) then DI box them in a hearbeat, but in a studio? Going straight from the synth at line level to the ensemble is the cleanest signal path you can get.

Anyone telling you otherwise is talking crap.

Old Post Sep-26-2018 19:19 
SynthNinja
Suspended User

Whoa thanks Rann, close call.

Old Post Sep-26-2018 22:21  United States
tehlord
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by alanzo
I kind of want a JX 03 after listening to this demo. Sounds so nice. I've really been enjoying the SH-01A and JP 08. So much power from such a small footprint and low price.

I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the System 8 yet. I'll probably still get one at some point, has it all in one box.

Old Post Sep-27-2018 08:17  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for tehlord Click here to Send tehlord a Private Message Add tehlord to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
evo8
Virtual Wannabe

Not gassing for anything at all recently, haven't bought software or hardware anything since I cant remember when

Old Post Sep-27-2018 11:59  Ireland
Click Here to See the Profile for evo8 Click here to Send evo8 a Private Message Visit evo8's homepage! Add evo8 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SynthNinja
Suspended User

I didn't know these units existed, sheesh. I could get 2 right in a second, wow.

Old Post Sep-27-2018 15:51  United States
alanzo
The Equalizer Womanizer

quote:
Originally posted by tehlord
I'm surprised you haven't jumped on the System 8 yet. I'll probably still get one at some point, has it all in one box.

Yeah not for $1,200 used. Plus the interface on that is just ugly, all the green led knobs. Blech.

The boutiques are great, they're cheap and take up very little space on my desk. I just picked up the JX03 I was gassing over for $230 on Reverb.com.

Old Post Sep-28-2018 01:15  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for alanzo Click here to Send alanzo a Private Message Visit alanzo's homepage! Add alanzo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Production Studio > Fall 2018 Gas
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (18): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackSome Kinda Essestial mix [2006] [0]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackThe Gift - "The Seventh Day" (Main Mix) [2005]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread