TA best of 2017
Since there are no RA lists this year, we're going to have to do this ourselves, no?
I bought relatively little new dancefloor 12"s this year, lots of uninspired mud out there right now in technoland. House is doing better, I like a lot of the newer electro/oldschool tech house influenced stuff, but a lot it is just "nice", nothing I need to have. That said, I thought it was quite a good year for non-dancefloor electronic LPs overall, no defining classics g but lots of nice little ones. I get the feeling that the LP has come back into fashion and lots of people are doing albums now.
Some of my favorites (holy crap, there were a LOT of LPs this year) in no particular order. You guys better contribute, this took me at least half an hour
Kara-Lis Coverdale – Grafts
- This one kinda blew my mind more than anything I've heard in a long time. Incredibly inventive modern classical with great, variyng structures, amazing sound design and intricate harmonies.
3kz - Parallel Reflections
- Best straight up techno LP this year. Super classic sound, very deep, very detroit-y but still manages to sound quite fresh compared to a lot of what's coming out these days.
Deepchord - Auratones
- I'm always ready for more deepchord. Nothing revolutionary but his sound design is continously evolving in little ways. These tracks in particular are quite heavy on electro-acoustic sounds. The LP overall is quite upbeat, which is a nice change of pace.
Nathan - Fake-Providence
- Prime TA material, super melodic, arp-based IDM. A bit noodly in places but some very nice sequences and drum programming is sweet aswell.
Terekke - Plant Age
- Classic Terekke, warm, hazy, pillow-y ambient & dub house.
High Plains - Cinderland
- I'm always a sucker for anything with a cello. Produced by Loscil, quiet modern classical for the cold and dark season.
Shed - The Final Experiment
- This somehow didn't get a lot of critical attention but I think it's one of his best LPs. Very obviously inspired by 90s chill out rooms and various strains of early 90s ambient dance music, almost cheesy sometimes but still tasteful.
Claro - Intelecto-Exhilarator
- Classic Claro Intelecto in various styles and tones, a bit more gritty and harder-edged than his previous LPs.
SW - Untitled
- Super oldschool, super warm, super lo-fi, yet still super inventive. A lot of the tracks combines 90s jungle and classic house in a way that's quite unique.
Varg - Gore-Tex-City
- Varied shades of warm, gritty sounding melancholic ambient techno. Some of the collaborations are quite bizarre, one track features the auto-tuned meme-rapper Yung Lean over a bleak techno track. "Blue Line" is an amazing combination of understated ambient techno and modern R&B, one of my favorite tracks this year.
Franck Kartell- Alaska
- Sweet, melodic, classic electro with some ambient touches.
The Marx Trukker - Peripheral Whiles
- Sweet classic cut&paste IDM, sounds a lot like Jan Jelinek ca. 2000. Lots of nice, warm chords and acoustic sounds.
June 2018 mix
Last edited by Woony on Dec-09-2017 at 16:41