Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Yohan
Champion of Deep&Nu-disco



Registered: Jan 2004
Location: Kitchener, Ont, Soviet Canuckistan

The movie is shite. I believe Heinlein estate disowned it.

Read the book.


___________________
Latest mix: Yohan - Full Spectrum (Fall 14 promo)
Like my stuff? Join my FB group here!
quote:
Originally posted by chinamon
not true. i say "ugh"
but i am a tranny.

quote:
Originally posted by kotsy
lol colour me retarded

Old Post Jan-08-2004 18:02  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Yohan Click here to Send Yohan a Private Message Add Yohan to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
daffodil
don't worry about it



Registered: Jun 2003
Location: brooklyn, usa

quote:
Originally posted by MisterOpus1
I'd be damn interested in that book. I've read a couple of Thompson's books, and I still keep up with his commentaries on ESPN. Unbelievable writer. Let me know what you think. As soon as I finish up with Davinci Code, I might invest and buy this book as well.


the book went missing a few days after i made my post. however, i still haven't gotten over the annoyance of not finishing it (which is a bit unusual for me) so i'm probably going to buy another copy so i can finish those last 50 pages or so.

point being, great book. it's great to have someone so slanted, yet so honest cover a political campaign. thompson openly acknowledges any biases he has and occasionally goes off the deep end on spectacular tangents, but somehow it's still relevant.

not sure if i've mentioned this before, but i'm a fiend for thompson so i'm very unlikely to find fault in his work. i enjoy his rambling and bizarre commentaries although i think they could annoy some. but i consider him to be a terrific writer, i'm currently reading anything by him that i can get my hands on. go read the book and let me know what you think. it's the perfect book to read during election season. it turned me into a bit of an election junkie.

Old Post Jan-19-2004 09:23  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for daffodil Click here to Send daffodil a Private Message Add daffodil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis



Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Shambhala

quote:
Originally posted by daffodil
the book went missing a few days after i made my post. however, i still haven't gotten over the annoyance of not finishing it (which is a bit unusual for me) so i'm probably going to buy another copy so i can finish those last 50 pages or so.

point being, great book. it's great to have someone so slanted, yet so honest cover a political campaign. thompson openly acknowledges any biases he has and occasionally goes off the deep end on spectacular tangents, but somehow it's still relevant.

not sure if i've mentioned this before, but i'm a fiend for thompson so i'm very unlikely to find fault in his work. i enjoy his rambling and bizarre commentaries although i think they could annoy some. but i consider him to be a terrific writer, i'm currently reading anything by him that i can get my hands on. go read the book and let me know what you think. it's the perfect book to read during election season. it turned me into a bit of an election junkie.


Hell's Angels was a damn fine read as well.

I have most of his works but I'm especially jubilant to own an autographed, hardbound copy of Proud Highway.

Old Post Jan-19-2004 21:35  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
daffodil
don't worry about it



Registered: Jun 2003
Location: brooklyn, usa

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
Hell's Angels was a damn fine read as well.

I have most of his works but I'm especially jubilant to own an autographed, hardbound copy of Proud Highway.


I'm halfway through Hell's Angels right now. Great read. I will be taking a walk to Barnes and Noble today to replace Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72, then tracking you down to carry out my carefully planned heist of Proud Highway.

Old Post Jan-19-2004 22:28  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for daffodil Click here to Send daffodil a Private Message Add daffodil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis



Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Shambhala

quote:
Originally posted by daffodil
I'm halfway through Hell's Angels right now. Great read. I will be taking a walk to Barnes and Noble today to replace Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72, then tracking you down to carry out my carefully planned heist of Proud Highway.


I haven't read The Rum Diaries yet. I'm such a slacker.

And there will be NO heisting, young lady.

Old Post Jan-19-2004 22:52  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
daffodil
don't worry about it



Registered: Jun 2003
Location: brooklyn, usa

quote:
Originally posted by Trancer-X
I haven't read The Rum Diaries yet. I'm such a slacker.

And there will be NO heisting, young lady.


The Rum Diary is pretty good, but it is classified as fiction. Doesn't have quite the manic feel of other Thompson writing but it's still a great read. I lent it to a friend of mine and I'm sure I'll never get it back, but I knew that when I lent it to him anyway.

Bought my replacement copy of Fear and Loathing: on the Campaign Trail '72 and have almost finished it. I actually had more like 75-100 pages left, but I took the train all the way into the Bronx and back so there was plenty of reading time. I plan to have that sucker finished off tomorrow

Also bought a paperback of Proud Highway. You'll see it soon when I swap it for your copy.

Old Post Jan-20-2004 07:37  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for daffodil Click here to Send daffodil a Private Message Add daffodil to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis



Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Shambhala

quote:
Originally posted by daffodil

Also bought a paperback of Proud Highway. You'll see it soon when I swap it for your copy.


You'd like to think so, eh?

HST Random Insult Generator

Awesome Sports Writing

Old Post Jan-20-2004 15:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Yoepus
Neo-condimist



Registered: Jan 2002
Location: Ketchup fields, Texas

The Case For Israel by Alan Dershowitz

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

This book refutes many claims focused against Israel, and is a well read for those who are clueless about Israel, or simply against it.


___________________
SAVE ZIONIST MUSTARD: BUY ZIONIST KETCHUP!


Click here to support the free mustard alliance.

Old Post Jan-25-2004 17:01  Israel
Click Here to See the Profile for Yoepus Click here to Send Yoepus a Private Message Visit Yoepus's homepage! Add Yoepus to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tathi
wanderlust



Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney

quote:
Originally posted by EvilTree
Doubt it's been recommended as a political reading.

Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers

Aside greatest military sci fi novel ever, got lots of thoughts about social and political philosophy.

And who says Heinlein's a liberal? (his other stuff leans towards liberalism)


MrSquirrel and I have already vouched for Heinleins Stranger in a Strange Land.

Read a book by his called Friday, its hilarious :P

my sig shows how much i revere the man

Old Post Jan-28-2004 10:18  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for tathi Click Here to Email tathi Click here to Send tathi a Private Message Add tathi to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen



Registered: Aug 2003
Location: In a Tree.

quote:
Originally posted by tathi
MrSquirrel and I have already vouched for Heinleins Stranger in a Strange Land.

Read a book by his called Friday, its hilarious :P

my sig shows how much i revere the man


Friday is a good one...I lost my copy and need to find it hmmm.

What new books have I read recently hmmm.

Nothing that comes to mind as a good "thinking" book.

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but Heinlein's last novel J.O.B. : A Comedy of Justice is a brilliant book. I highly recommend it if you like Heinlein.

MrS


___________________
Click the sig to see MrSquirrel

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Feb-06-2004 04:42  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
KristinA
Senior tranceaddict



Registered: Jan 2004
Location: MadriD
HappyHappy c0ol ideA!

Savege nights- Cyril Collard

November- Flaubert

The essence of Christianity- Feuerbach

Living my life- Emma Goldman

Between paesants-Enrico Malatesta

Incendiami la vita- Peppe lanzetta

Al principio erano le mutande- Rossana Campo

Old Post Mar-02-2004 06:23  Europe
Click Here to See the Profile for KristinA Click Here to Email KristinA Click here to Send KristinA a Private Message Add KristinA to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
3xx3r7
Speedy J addict



Registered: Jan 2004
Location: with your mom

The Art of War by Niccolo Machiavelli. Very interesting read, in my opinion.


___________________
Blip, blip, blip...

Old Post Mar-11-2004 01:36  Ukraine
Click Here to See the Profile for 3xx3r7 Click here to Send 3xx3r7 a Private Message Visit 3xx3r7's homepage! Add 3xx3r7 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:

All times are GMT. The time now is 14:27.

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is ON
vB code is ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Search this Thread:

 
Contact Us - return to tranceaddict

Powered by: Trance Music & vBulletin Forums
Copyright ©2000-2014

Privacy Statement
Geo Visitors Map

Icon