Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen



Registered: Aug 2003
Location: In a Tree.

quote:
Originally posted by daffodil
wonderfully written, creative and original book with fantastic sociological observations. i learned a lot about rabbits too.

What did you learn about rabbits? That they are a blood thirsty and maniacal lot?



I only picked up this book when I was in HS because I remembered vividly the cartoon movie of the book that I watched when I was a young child. And how it scared the bejeezus out of me because the animals could talk and were maiming each other. Kinda like the Secret of NIMH did when my parents took us to see it in the theatre (I was 5). For some reason I was more scared by mean animals than anything. Thus I picked up Watership Down and read it, and enjoyed it on a much less visceral level (the cartoon was rather graphic for 1980s network tv). It also put to rest the fighting bunny nightmares

Needless to say I need to pick up a copy of the book again and see what I get out of it some 10 years later. I have been re-reading many of the books I read in high school and am amazed at the different way they touch me now than they did then.

That is the miracle of books, every time you read them they are slightly different. They are living things :

Back to my ever expanding library of books I have already read.....

MrS


___________________
Click the sig to see MrSquirrel

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Sep-08-2003 04:59  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict



Registered: Oct 2000
Location: New York

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquirrel
What did you learn about rabbits? That they are a blood thirsty and maniacal lot?



I only picked up this book when I was in HS because I remembered vividly the cartoon movie of the book that I watched when I was a young child. And how it scared the bejeezus out of me because the animals could talk and were maiming each other. Kinda like the Secret of NIMH did when my parents took us to see it in the theatre (I was 5). For some reason I was more scared by mean animals than anything. Thus I picked up Watership Down and read it, and enjoyed it on a much less visceral level (the cartoon was rather graphic for 1980s network tv). It also put to rest the fighting bunny nightmares

Needless to say I need to pick up a copy of the book again and see what I get out of it some 10 years later. I have been re-reading many of the books I read in high school and am amazed at the different way they touch me now than they did then.

That is the miracle of books, every time you read them they are slightly different. They are living things :

Back to my ever expanding library of books I have already read.....

MrS


Dude, I saw the cartoon of that book when I was a little kid too. Scared the crap out of me cuz all these rabbits were fighting in a war and one group of rabbits had red eyes ...

I couldn't think of the name for the longest time and a few weekends ago I accused my dad of subjecting me to that cartoon. But since I couldn't remember the name and vaguely remembered the plot, everyone thought I was crazy. Hmmm thinking about it makes me wanna see the cartoon again.


___________________
Retro ...

Old Post Sep-08-2003 20:08  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for occrider Click Here to Email occrider Click here to Send occrider a Private Message Add occrider to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen



Registered: Aug 2003
Location: In a Tree.

quote:
Originally posted by occrider
Dude, I saw the cartoon of that book when I was a little kid too. Scared the crap out of me cuz all these rabbits were fighting in a war and one group of rabbits had red eyes ...

I couldn't think of the name for the longest time and a few weekends ago I accused my dad of subjecting me to that cartoon. But since I couldn't remember the name and vaguely remembered the plot, everyone thought I was crazy. Hmmm thinking about it makes me wanna see the cartoon again.


Yeah it had to be a real cartoon. Unless of course we BOTH are totally off our rockers. Hmmm.

I was thinking I needed to see the cartoon again too.

Time to search for a copy on video methinks.....

MrS


___________________
Click the sig to see MrSquirrel

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Sep-08-2003 23:18  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
tathi
wanderlust



Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney

i havn't read the book, but i watched the cartoon when i was a little kid

more literature influenced by Aesops Fables

Old Post Sep-09-2003 04:59  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for tathi Click Here to Email tathi Click here to Send tathi a Private Message Add tathi to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
MrSquirrel
Auf Wiedersehen



Registered: Aug 2003
Location: In a Tree.

A-HA! I have found it:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sea...393750121&itm=4

Time for me to go see if my local video store has a copy

MrS


___________________
Click the sig to see MrSquirrel

-"Reality" is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.

Old Post Sep-09-2003 05:13  United Nations
Click Here to See the Profile for MrSquirrel Click here to Send MrSquirrel a Private Message Visit MrSquirrel's homepage! Add MrSquirrel to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Dr. Cfire
Supreme tranceaddict



Registered: Apr 2003
Location: Calgary

Douglas Coupland's Shampoo Planet. Takes a look into how our society uses personal apperance to determine what you know. "The hair represents what is inside the head".

Old Post Sep-16-2003 16:09  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Dr. Cfire Click here to Send Dr. Cfire a Private Message Add Dr. Cfire to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
occrider
Traveladdict



Registered: Oct 2000
Location: New York

The Utterly, Utterly Private and Confidential Teenage Diary of Jesus !!!!!


___________________
Retro ...

Old Post Sep-19-2003 18:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for occrider Click Here to Email occrider Click here to Send occrider a Private Message Add occrider to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancer-X
mutatis mutandis



Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Shambhala

The Corpus Hermeticum

Old Post Sep-20-2003 08:38  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancer-X Click here to Send Trancer-X a Private Message Visit Trancer-X's homepage! Add Trancer-X to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
rizo
rizoholic



Registered: Apr 2003
Location: sf south bay

i wouldnt recommend it, but in case you tend to get the new oreilly book, make sure you at least get a deck cards

quote:
Second, you'll love our other great bonus item: the "Deck of Weasels" the playing cards that poke fun at the left-wing Hollywood celebrities that opposed Operation Iraqi Freedom and President Bush. The "Deck of Weasels" includes the funniest quotes from George Clooney (who predicted we would lose the war), Barbra Streisand (who said the war was the result of a conspiracy), Michael Moore, Martin Sheen, Susan Sarandon and many others.


https://www.newsmaxstore.com/nm_mag...g.cfm?refid=369

as for the magazine it self, it reminds me of MAD by looking at the covers

Old Post Sep-21-2003 04:03 
Click Here to See the Profile for rizo Click Here to Email rizo Click here to Send rizo a Private Message Visit rizo's homepage! Add rizo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Izzy
Virtue & Vice



Registered: Apr 2001
Location: TX TA #5

quote:
Originally posted by rizen
i wouldnt recommend it, but in case you tend to get the new oreilly book, make sure you at least get a deck cards



https://www.newsmaxstore.com/nm_mag...g.cfm?refid=369

as for the magazine it self, it reminds me of MAD by looking at the covers


LOL

http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nms/sho...Product_ID=1294

you can check each card out


___________________
If God is the answer, it must have been a very stupid question.

Old Post Sep-23-2003 01:37 
Click Here to See the Profile for Izzy Click Here to Email Izzy Click here to Send Izzy a Private Message Add Izzy to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
matty
08/09 National Beach Cham



Registered: Jun 2003
Location: back in T.O

quote:
Originally posted by CortexBomb


- Crime & Punishment by Doestoevsky.

Classic that asked "Why not murder?" Doestoevsky's answer at the end doesn't ring true for a non-Christian, but it stands as a deep and interesting novel, one of my faves.



Great choice mate!!! One of my faves

On top of that anything by Noam Chomsky is good, if you're into International Policies and all that good stuff, perticularly

Washington Connection & Third World Fascism

Old Post Sep-24-2003 00:39 
Click Here to See the Profile for matty Click here to Send matty a Private Message Visit matty's homepage! Add matty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
matty
08/09 National Beach Cham



Registered: Jun 2003
Location: back in T.O

quote:
Originally posted by AcerRacer
There are almost too many to list, so I'll try to keep it short.


Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie




An excellent choice!!

I would also suggest Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka...a must read

Anyone like Horror Fiction?
Short Stories by H.P. Lovecraft are as good as it gets....

Old Post Sep-24-2003 00:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for matty Click here to Send matty a Private Message Visit matty's homepage! Add matty to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Other > Political Discussion / Debate > Da Book Recommendations Thread inda Houze..
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (31): « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Jump:

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14.

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is ON
vB code is ON
[IMG] code is ON
 
Search this Thread:

 
Contact Us - return to tranceaddict

Powered by: Trance Music & vBulletin Forums
Copyright ©2000-2014

Privacy Statement
Geo Visitors Map

Icon