Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The new Way Out West album
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

The new Way Out West album

I'm slightly surprised that this hasn't garnered at least a thread from the few remaining TAs. I'm giving it my first listen, and I can't say I'm much impressed. They seem to have gone towards Jody's Anjunadeep fluffy proclivities this time - I can barely hear a trace of Nick Warren in here. It's bordering on cheesy radio fodder in places.

Is everyone else just as disappointed as I am?

> Autumn Drive [Progressive]
> The Rebel Alliance [Tech/Progressive]
> The Sunset Session [Everything]

Old Post Jun-26-2017 17:13  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hoopoe
Junior tranceaddict

I really like it, but I'm coming from a position of being totally out of touch with this genre, and most dance music in general for 2-3 years, so maybe it just sounds more fresh to my ears. I also used to listen to this kind of thing with one eye on cherry-picking tracks for DJ sets but now I'm past that it struck me that it seems to hold up nicely as a full album.

Oceans, We Move and Closer can get to fuck but I'm digging the rest. I'm not adverse to vocals, Running Away is lovely. I especially like the sparse but effective use of vocal shots/samples in The Call, Slam, Set My Mind and Sheltered Place. Diamond Dust is begging for a Killa-esque club mix.

It's a massive improvement over 'We Love Machine' which I thought sealed the WOW coffin, sounding like it could have been made by literally any Anjuadeep/Armada artist at the time.

Disapointed with no sign of the vastly superior Shoot 2015(17). Apparently extended versions 'are coming' so hopefully it will be tacked onto them.

Old Post Jun-26-2017 20:10 
Click Here to See the Profile for hoopoe Click here to Send hoopoe a Private Message Add hoopoe to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Ted Promo
NWO WOLFPACK INSANE

I haven't listened to it yet.

Old Post Jun-26-2017 21:45 
Click Here to See the Profile for Ted Promo Click here to Send Ted Promo a Private Message Add Ted Promo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr.Mystery
303 <3 808

It's not too bad, but it's very "meh."
There are no real standout tracks, the whole thing sounds pretty much the same from start to finish. Then again that seems to be the trend with Anjunadeep.

Afraid to Dream EP [Electronic Tree]

Old Post Jun-27-2017 03:07  Finland
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.Mystery Click here to Send Mr.Mystery a Private Message Add Mr.Mystery to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
craiggarner
Senior tranceaddict

I quite like it. I think given the lead-up time to the album we knew pretty much what to expect so the fact that it's sounding a lot more anjuna / jody is no surprise.

For me, the most important ingredient for a good WOW track is those little one-shot samples they use and they've carried that over to the new style which makes me happy

Old Post Jun-27-2017 23:52  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for craiggarner Click here to Send craiggarner a Private Message Add craiggarner to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
craiggarner
Senior tranceaddict

Re: The new Way Out West album

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J I can barely hear a trace of Nick Warren in here.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of days - what would you consider to be Nick Warren's signature? He's never really struck me as having his own distinct identity as a producer...

Old Post Jun-30-2017 00:24  Australia
Click Here to See the Profile for craiggarner Click here to Send craiggarner a Private Message Add craiggarner to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

I wasn't much impressed by the album, but I saw them live tonight and they fucking rocked it. One of the most fun "live gigs" I've ever been to. Never seen such frenzied dancing at a night with an 11pm curfew. It was like a two hour slice of peak time rave. Highly recommended.

Old Post Feb-08-2018 23:32  England
Click Here to See the Profile for SYSTEM-J Click here to Send SYSTEM-J a Private Message Visit SYSTEM-J's homepage! Add SYSTEM-J to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
SYSTEM-J
IDKFA.

Re: Re: The new Way Out West album

quote:
Originally posted by craiggarner
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days - what would you consider to be Nick Warren's signature? He's never really struck me as having his own distinct identity as a producer...

I never saw this comment at the time it was posted, but I suppose I can answer it now. I suppose the short answer is: prog. Didn't feel like there were any traces of prog when I listened to the album at home, but after dancing my arse off to the new tracks live, I can feel the groove a lot more. I suppose I should re-listen to the album now.

Old Post Feb-08-2018 23:33  England
miamitranceman
Extreme tranceaddict

Re: Re: Re: The new Way Out West album

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
I never saw this comment at the time it was posted, but I suppose I can answer it now. I suppose the short answer is: prog. Didn't feel like there were any traces of prog when I listened to the album at home, but after dancing my arse off to the new tracks live, I can feel the groove a lot more. I suppose I should re-listen to the album now.

Jody live is a real treat. I see him every year in March down here at the Anjunadeep 12 hour show. He really knows how to build a groove.

www.mixcloud.com/jluger

Old Post Feb-09-2018 13:13  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for miamitranceman Click here to Send miamitranceman a Private Message Add miamitranceman to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Midlothian
Senior tranceaddict

Not as disappointed as the op as I wasn't expecting anything wildly different & I generally like Jody W's sounds. Basically in agreement with both hoopoe & Mystery.

Not excited at all about the "Remixed" album though (https://www.discogs.com/Way-Out-Wes...elease/11516172)
The remixes of the title track by Modd and by I:Cube are dreamy numbers which I liked, and Guy J's version is alright, but otherwise it's not really for me. Not quite sure what it is that I was expecting or hoping for here.

Disappointed or pleased?

1 Tuesday Maybe (Modd Extended Mix) 7:21
2 Lullaby Horizon (Ben Böhmer Extended Mix)6:31
3 Tuesday Maybe (Guy J Extended Mix) 9:22
4 Set My Mind (Luttrell Remix) 6:53
5 Tuesday Maybe (Atish Extended Mix) 6:39
6 A Sheltered Place (Phaeleh Extended Mix) 5:51
7 Tuesday Maybe (I:Cube's Sunrise Remix) 7:10
8 Set My Mind (Brassica Remix) 5:40
9 Tuesday Maybe (Amateur Dance Remix) 10:32
10 Set My Mind (Maxxi Soundsystem Remix) 7:14

Old Post Mar-03-2018 20:08  Netherlands
Click Here to See the Profile for Midlothian Click here to Send Midlothian a Private Message Add Midlothian to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
LoveHate

im inclined to listen to this

Old Post Mar-05-2018 20:05  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for LoveHate Click here to Send LoveHate a Private Message Add LoveHate to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

TranceAddict Forums > Main Forums > Music Discussion > The new Way Out West album
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread