Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > MixTape 8: After Airports, Before Orbs [obscure 80s ambient; other oddities of the era]
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

MixTape 8: After Airports, Before Orbs [obscure 80s ambient; other oddities of the era]

It can't be understated the significance Brian Eno had in ambient music's formative years, nor the impact Alex Patterson had taking the genre into new avenues. But what about the 10 years between? It wasn't all just Eno, his buddies, and 70s new wave composers (Vangelis, Jarre, etc) making the stuff, was it? Not at all.

Gathered and mixed together here for your listening interest and pleasure are a variety of tunes and compositions of that time period. This is by no means a collection of 'greatest hits', full of instantly recognizable names (sorry, no Roach) and songs (were there any ambient 'hits' in the 80s?); rather, it's a spotlight on the influential, the unheralded, and the obscure. Oh, and all the analog hiss of old recordings you can handle!

Feedback, as always, is welcomed, encouraged even.

AFTER AIRPORTS, BEFORE ORBS

Click to listen!

TRACK LIST: (total runtime 1h,47m)

1. Kevin Braheny - Ice Forests Of Orion (1988)
2. Iasos - The Angels Of Comfort (1978)
3. Steve Hillage - Garden Of Paradise (1979)
4. Zoviet France - Untitled (B1) (1983)
5. J.D. Emmanuel - Part III - Evening Devotional (1986)
6. Richard Burmer - Riverbend (1984)
7. Robert Turman - Flux 3 (1982)
8. Dada - Yuuen • Inraku • Gaki (1978)
9. David Parsons - Gangotri (1982)
10. J.D. Emmanuel - Visions During Movement (1981)
11. Kevin Braheny - Lullaby For The Hearts Of Space (1980)
12. Alan Hawkshaw - Saturn Rings (1979)
13. Michel Magne - Plane Alpha II (1978)
14. Joel Vandroogenbroeck - Meditative Contemplation (1980)
15. Quiet Point - Empty Corridors (1987)

(PS: special thanks to Sushipunk for hosting this for me, as it seems Soundcloud didn't like one of the tracks in here )

(~)

Last edited by Sykonee on Jul-14-2013 at 12:20

Old Post Jun-27-2012 05:13  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

Very clever name, unfortunately the Sushi link is broken so I can't check it out

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Jun-28-2012 12:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

D'oh! Thanks for catching that. What I get for c+p'ing the abbreviated version of the link.

Fixed.

(~)

Old Post Jun-28-2012 20:18  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Sykonee Click here to Send Sykonee a Private Message Visit Sykonee's homepage! Add Sykonee to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Mr Game+Watch
Luka Luka * Night Fever

Absolutely loved this. Some great retro-futuristic melodies, would be great for a sci-fi game or something. Everything was all-new to me, as my first exposure to ambient music (and what was responsible for me getting deeply involved in EDM to begin with) was The Orb.

Quarantine Music Festival 2020

All My Mixes!

Old Post Jun-30-2012 14:43  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr Game+Watch Click here to Send Mr Game+Watch a Private Message Visit Mr Game+Watch's homepage! Add Mr Game+Watch to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Game+Watch
Absolutely loved this. Some great retro-futuristic melodies, would be great for a sci-fi game or something.

Funny you should say that, as that Vandroogenbroeck guy went on to become one of the earliest chiptune musicians. There's actually quite a few interesting little 'future connections' in that list of names.

But... no one else comments? I swear this mix isn't all noodly pseudo New Agey stuff! Hm, maybe I need to change the genre names in the thread title.

(~)

Old Post Jul-02-2012 09:16  Canada
Magnetonium
Dubstep = Douchestep

Amazing mix. Finally someone is making a mix of 70's 80's ambient and new age. I thought I was the only one who listened to that stuff on this forum

Huge fan of Iasos!!! I have one of his ultra-rare cassette tapes from 1975.

Big fan of Hearts Of Space

Whenever you go and buy something, you are affecting someone somewhere, be it environment, a person, or a community - you're making a statement with what you buy. So make it a smart choice ... Its a big picture

Old Post Jul-02-2012 15:46  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Magnetonium Click here to Send Magnetonium a Private Message Visit Magnetonium's homepage! Add Magnetonium to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
ziptnf
Programming your future

It took me a while, but I listened. Very cool, but very weird. I can't believe all these tracks are so old, they sound great!

Set Archive | TA DJ Challenge

Old Post Jul-02-2012 17:49 
Click Here to See the Profile for ziptnf Click here to Send ziptnf a Private Message Visit ziptnf's homepage! Add ziptnf to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

quote:
Originally posted by Magnetonium
Amazing mix. Finally someone is making a mix of 70's 80's ambient and new age. I thought I was the only one who listened to that stuff on this forum

Honestly, aside from the usual suspects (Eno, etc.), I can't say that I regularly do; however, I've been researching ambient's overall history lately, and gathered up a ton of tracks in the process. Felt some of the lesser names deserved a showcase.

And yeah, ambient and New Age tended to go hand-in-hand in the early years, sharing the same synthy attributes and atmosphere. Then New Age got... well, corny, a bit too focused on actual musicianship than simple droning synth sweeps. Least that's the divide between ambient and New Age that I found.

(~)

Old Post Jul-03-2012 16:38  Canada
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

This looks interesting. Will listen.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 16:44 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

Oh yes. Downloading this post haste.

Old Post Jul-03-2012 16:45  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Vector A
Your petrochemical arms

quote:
Originally posted by Sykonee
And yeah, ambient and New Age tended to go hand-in-hand in the early years, sharing the same synthy attributes and atmosphere. Then New Age got... well, corny, a bit too focused on actual musicianship than simple droning synth sweeps. Least that's the divide between ambient and New Age that I found.

It is hard to put a satisfactory line between ambient and New Age, I agree. The question interests me enough that I made a thread about it:

http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=636964&forumid=1&s=#.T_MoZmaHHng

Old Post Jul-03-2012 17:14  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Vector A Click here to Send Vector A a Private Message Add Vector A to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sykonee
Supreme EMCritic

To paraphrase what I said in that thread: New Age puts you in a place to observe, whereas Ambient makes you a part of a place to be. In a way, that's also where you see some of the similarities when you get into the 'meditative' aspects of both.

Case in point is Steven Halpern, who's often credited in pioneering New Age music. His idea is using musical tones for healing and meditation, very much New Age concepts, but when you listen to some of his music, it has many of the attributes we'd associate with ambient (droning synths and such). Plus, some of the artwork associated with his work seems like it should be in a psy-chill vid!

New Age though that 'scene' may be, the music is quite effective in making you a part of a place, even if that place might be your inner consciousness.

(~)

Old Post Jul-03-2012 19:16  Canada

TranceAddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > DJ Promotion > MixTape 8: After Airports, Before Orbs [obscure 80s ambient; other oddities of the era]
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackneed help with id [2005] [3]

Click here to listen to the sample!Pause playbackPaul van Dyk - "Words" (Mana Mix) [2003]

Show Printable Version | Subscribe to this Thread