Become a part of the TranceAddict community! Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Music Producers Promotion > Pagan Ritual. Journey to our tribal past.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

Pagan Ritual. Journey to our tribal past.

Edit - so I took the crits on board and ended up with this.

I had in mind an ancient tribal gathering in Britain, think Druids and pagans, a shaman up on the hill looking down on the gathering, dried blood on faces, arms aloft to the heavens, a raven watching from the Elm tree, smoke, intoxication, perhaps a sacrifical offering.....

Give it time - the hatz evolve on and on.

I ain't gonna change much, but am interested in any comments, especially on the mix.

Not a lot of melody I'm afraid chaps.

Last edited by Richard Butler on Jun-08-2012 at 22:39

Old Post May-28-2012 11:50  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Trancelover03591
Trained tranceaddict

Minimal! Kind of like Gary Beck. I think it needs a little more variation, but not much. The mix is really good in my opinion and with a few touches I think it is definitely worth sending around. You can make just about any genre can't you?

Old Post May-28-2012 14:05  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancelover03591 Click here to Send Trancelover03591 a Private Message Add Trancelover03591 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Julz
Supreme tranceaddict

Is this the song your where talking about bleeding the high freqs in?

I think the bass sounds nice as a synth, but the bassline itself is a little bare for me. Needs more groove imo.

The guitar-ish sounding pluck that come in around 3.10 sound a little weird to me, the delayed plucks at 3.30 are 100x better.

Very haunting feel at 4min but lacking a stronger new element to keep me interested. Also the bass is way to simple to keep playing the same note this whole time.

Love the little percs you have, great job if you made those yourself!

Overall a cool track, but does get abit boring.

Old Post May-28-2012 19:37  Slovakia
Click Here to See the Profile for Julz Click here to Send Julz a Private Message Add Julz to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

I left feedback in the MD thread. I'm sorry but I don't think this good enough to send around. Unless you don't mind being released on some mediocre digital mnml label.

Old Post May-28-2012 21:14 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Julz
Is this the song your where talking about bleeding the high freqs in?

I think the bass sounds nice as a synth, but the bassline itself is a little bare for me. Needs more groove imo.

The guitar-ish sounding pluck that come in around 3.10 sound a little weird to me, the delayed plucks at 3.30 are 100x better.

Very haunting feel at 4min but lacking a stronger new element to keep me interested. Also the bass is way to simple to keep playing the same note this whole time.

Love the little percs you have, great job if you made those yourself!

Overall a cool track, but does get abit boring.

Great feedback, I'll look to augment the bass as the track progresses. Also think of a stronger element to join - I'm thinking maybe very wierd vocals that peek up here n there.

Yes I make all my own percs these days.

Woony thx for taking the time - I'm not sure I agree the techno track you posted up is what I'm aiming for. I'm more into the sound of Rich Jones and other Drumcode artists. But your'e deffo right it's not ready to send out yet. I struggle with that balance of getting the bass groovy yet not too over powering. The bass is not just an offset, there are other quiet notes, maybee too quiet!

Trancelover - I'm looking to make it more intesting with some distinictive element. I did try some melody but it somehow sounded wrong.

Old Post May-28-2012 22:18  United Kingdom
Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Butler Click here to Send Richard Butler a Private Message Add Richard Butler to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Woony
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Butler

Woony thx for taking the time - I'm not sure I agree the techno track you posted up is what I'm aiming for. I'm more into the sound of Rich Jones and other Drumcode artists. But your'e deffo right it's not ready to send out yet. I struggle with that balance of getting the bass groovy yet not too over powering. The bass is not just an offset, there are other quiet notes, maybee too quiet!

Even if you compare your track with the track you posted my points are still valid. Right now your track kind of is structured like a 2001 prog track, there's this endless atmospheric buildup but nothing happens. Your track badly needs a hook and a proper structure. If there is a supposed climax in your track, your drums need to support that, especially if you are going for some kind of club-friendly big-room sound.

Old Post May-28-2012 22:46 
Click Here to See the Profile for Woony Click here to Send Woony a Private Message Add Woony to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
mnw479
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Woony
Even if you compare your track with the track you posted my points are still valid. Right now your track kind of is structured like a 2001 prog track, there's this endless atmospheric buildup but nothing happens. Your track badly needs a hook and a proper structure. If there is a supposed climax in your track, your drums need to support that, especially if you are going for some kind of club-friendly big-room sound.

I agree with what Woony has said; the track doesn't really go anywhere. I'm not a big of minimal if that's what you're going for, but I do think it needs more variation, with more new and interesting elements. If you were planning on adding an orchestra part to it, that could function as a hook, although it doesn't necessarily need to be at the beginning. As of now, I think the track works better without one

Old Post May-29-2012 00:00  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for mnw479 Click here to Send mnw479 a Private Message Add mnw479 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EddieZilker
This is the dance.

I actually liked this one. I'm not sure of where Woony's coming from, here, as, to me, this song seems to be what it is. I'll check the other thread to be sure but, reading between the lines, here, Woony seems to be projecting his tastes. I understand if it's not fitting in the genre it's being presented as but I still dig the tune.

Now with extra singles!
my old stuff, not quite up to snuff - but I still dig it - UPDATED 9/23/2012

Old Post May-30-2012 23:56  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EddieZilker Click here to Send EddieZilker a Private Message Visit EddieZilker's homepage! Add EddieZilker to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

Ed, thanks. TBH I am trying now to give it a lot more personality and drive and am changing most things.

Trying lots of vocal recording and wierd manipulations.

Woony and others do have a point I think that it doesn't do enough / go anywhere / is not memorable, but I have to say Woony's Techno examples he gave in another thread to me have no vibe or groove, but as Ed says, it's a lot about taste.

I think after this track I'm going to start only posting finished tracks and not seek feedback, as I'm getting to this point of just wanting to say here's what I do, like or love, I don't care, it is what it is.

Like your big long recent track Ed, to me it's from your heart and is an account of your inner most decision making process that seemed right on the day. I like the fact you bravely dish it up and say here it is, love it or loathe it.

Old Post May-31-2012 12:29  United Kingdom
Richard Butler
Supreme tranceaddict

So I've gone all ancient Briton tribal, I like it actually. Track in opening post.

Old Post Jun-01-2012 23:25  United Kingdom
Trancelover03591
Trained tranceaddict

Really awesome. Reminds me of Gary Beck like I said before, and he never has a 'melody' (nor does much of this type of techno). I think it is worth sending to labels because it sounds professional in all aspects; arrangement, mixing and sound selection.

I am very interested in ancient history myself. I saw a really awesome special on the ancient history of Britain recently. It included a section on a massive tsunami which blindsided the hunter and gatherer Britons in 6100 BC going 40 miles inland.

Great track!

Old Post Jun-01-2012 23:42  Germany
Click Here to See the Profile for Trancelover03591 Click here to Send Trancelover03591 a Private Message Add Trancelover03591 to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
stewart.m
Supreme tranceaddict

liking this dude i can see it working well on the dance floor it has a hypnotic feel to it good stuff

Old Post Jun-02-2012 01:16  England
Click Here to See the Profile for stewart.m Click here to Send stewart.m a Private Message Add stewart.m to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > DJing / Production / Promotion > Music Producers Promotion > Pagan Ritual. Journey to our tribal past.
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread