Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Do DJ's Really Play a Vegas Mix?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
Kirk_B
tranceaddict in training

Do DJ's Really Play a Vegas Mix?

I have lived in Las Vegas my entire life (28 years) and have been into electronic music since 1997 thanks to the movie Hackers!

My favorite genre by far is trance (uplifting, higher BPM, euphoric). Used to bedroom DJ for fun, but sold off my equipment.

I used to goto ICE before they closed it. Saw Above & Beyond back in 2005 when I liked their sound, George Acosta, Sander van Doorn, etc.

It seems the trance DJs now when they play at a Marquee, TAO, Lavo, etc play a different tracklist than usual. More housey, chunky beats, more vocals, etc. I know trance music has evolved over the years and is bringing in more house elements and the BPM has slowed, but do the clubs in Las Vegas tell the DJ's to play a certain tempo, style in their sets?

Old Post Apr-26-2012 22:50  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Kirk_B Click here to Send Kirk_B a Private Message Add Kirk_B to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
omega1n
Coldharbour Addict

It's the crowd who the DJs have to cater to.

Old Post Apr-26-2012 22:53  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for omega1n Click here to Send omega1n a Private Message Add omega1n to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Sadface
Supreme tranceaddict

Re: Do DJ's Really Play a Vegas Mix?

quote:
Originally posted by Kirk_B
I have lived in Las Vegas my entire life (28 years) and have been into electronic music since 1997 thanks to the movie Hackers!

My favorite genre by far is trance (uplifting, higher BPM, euphoric). Used to bedroom DJ for fun, but sold off my equipment.

I used to goto ICE before they closed it. Saw Above & Beyond back in 2005 when I liked their sound, George Acosta, Sander van Doorn, etc.

It seems the trance DJs now when they play at a Marquee, TAO, Lavo, etc play a different tracklist than usual. More housey, chunky beats, more vocals, etc. I know trance music has evolved over the years and is bringing in more house elements and the BPM has slowed, but do the clubs in Las Vegas tell the DJ's to play a certain tempo, style in their sets?

Do frequently get to see/hear these DJ's in other non-vegas venues? I only ask because pretty much everyone has been going housier/chunkier as time goes on so it might not be anything particularly special.

Either way, I doubt that the clubs make specific demands on their high profile DJ's. They are legitimate professionals and should already know that the average american crowd is already quite into house and the vegas crowd probably more so. They'll adjust their sets without anyone telling them to.

Old Post Apr-26-2012 22:59  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Sadface Click here to Send Sadface a Private Message Add Sadface to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
KarenLuvs2Party
Max Graham's #1 Fan

clubs dont make demands but djs do play vegas mix.. ive heard it from the dj himself.. unless he doesnt want to get rebooked again :P

Old Post Apr-26-2012 23:10  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for KarenLuvs2Party Click here to Send KarenLuvs2Party a Private Message Add KarenLuvs2Party to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Quazar
still likes trance

There was a "Cosmic Gate live at Marquee" set on XM a couple of days ago, and I didn't hear a single trance song during the 30 minutes I was listening to it, not even mainstream pop-trance. It was all club-house.

Granted, it was only a 30 minute block of what was probably a 4 hour set.

quote:
Originally posted by Sushipunk
At least last time you Brits got pissed off, we got punk music out of it. This time, it'll probably just end up being embers breaks

Old Post Apr-26-2012 23:12  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for Quazar Click here to Send Quazar a Private Message Add Quazar to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
modthispny
Supreme tranceaddict

dj's play a set that's catered to vegas.

in an interview markus schulz said in the beginning of his marquee gigs he tends to play a lot more vocals but once you get the trust of the crowd then you can play the normal stuff you play.

Old Post Apr-26-2012 23:16  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for modthispny Click here to Send modthispny a Private Message Add modthispny to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DjWoody
Chingon

Re: Do DJ's Really Play a Vegas Mix?

quote:
Originally posted by Kirk_B
do the clubs in Las Vegas tell the DJ's to play a certain tempo, style in their sets?

Some clubs do. As a matter of fact, it's not just a Vegas thing. It's everywhere. I've even seen big DJ's get kicked out for not playing what the club tells them too.

I forgot who it was, but some big DJ got kicked out of Mansion either this year or last year in Miami for not playing commercial music. Also, Jazzy Jeff's been kicked off the decks too for playing "hip hop."

Old Post Apr-26-2012 23:21  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for DjWoody Click here to Send DjWoody a Private Message Visit DjWoody's homepage! Add DjWoody to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DjWoody
Chingon

*It was Dennis Ferrer who got kicked off Mansion for not playing commercial.

Old Post Apr-26-2012 23:25  Mexico
Click Here to See the Profile for DjWoody Click here to Send DjWoody a Private Message Visit DjWoody's homepage! Add DjWoody to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
DaveT
NEED PERSONAL COPY-EDITOR

DJs always mention how they have to play chunkier and especially have to play more vocals in Vegas.

Just like some DJs intentionally little faster on 18+ nights versus 21+ nights.

Old Post Apr-26-2012 23:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveT Click here to Send DaveT a Private Message Visit DaveT's homepage! Add DaveT to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
EDMDancer
Senior tranceaddict

Headliner DJs, especially on Saturday, at Ruby Skye play more or less the same set of popular EDM tracks. I have to wonder if Ruby Skye gives them a list to play. I don't hear the same shit from opening DJs. What is the point of paying $30-$50 admission to hear the same thing that any local cheesy DJs can play? But I do see the business sense from the club's bottom line.

Old Post Apr-27-2012 00:58  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for EDMDancer Click here to Send EDMDancer a Private Message Add EDMDancer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
GPC
Old World Fart

I've had less mainstream DJs tell me that they were pretty much told they have to play a more commercial sound to get booked.

Old Post Apr-27-2012 04:55  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for GPC Click here to Send GPC a Private Message Add GPC to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
wackadoo
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by EDMDancer
What is the point of paying $30-$50 admission to hear the same thing that any local cheesy DJs can play?

This is why I stay at home, play what I want all night and drink myself silly for $12.

Old Post Apr-27-2012 05:49  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for wackadoo Click here to Send wackadoo a Private Message Add wackadoo to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > USA > USA - West Coast / Las Vegas > Do DJ's Really Play a Vegas Mix?
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread