Become a part of the TranceAddict community!Frequently Asked Questions - Please read this if you haven'tSearch the forums
tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Roll Call : Hernan Cattaneo @ Circus
Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    Post A Reply
mattymtl
Supreme tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Alexx G
he tore the place down. best ive seen from him for sure. and like everyone said, the last 2-3h just wtf. every second song left me speechless. where the hellllllll does he get his tracks from? flawless mixing. such a progression during the set, what a story teller. this is as 10/10 as a 10/10 can get. as far as heat, yes it was hot, but not nearly as hot as some other nights ive been to. stayed next to the far so it was all good. BOOK HIM AGAIN ASAP

Man i knew that was going to happen...I left at 630 knowing he was about to get really dirty. The first 3 hours were nice and melodic but very similar to his radioshow. Getting old and having priorities sucks sometimes.

Like you said Alexx, it was hot inside but its been wayyyyy hotter many other times, especially 2-3 years ago

Old Post Jun-13-2012 01:38  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for mattymtl Click here to Send mattymtl a Private Message Add mattymtl to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Maxrain
Senior tranceaddict

I'm a little late on this one, but here is my review.

First off, I want to mention that the crowd was very nice. You could tell that most people were there for Cattaneo and really seemed to be into it.

Hernan played an very solid prog set. The only issue I had with his set was that the programming was sometimes a bit off, even though it was mostly a prog set. For instance, he would play a deep and dark track, but would follow it with another one that was funkier and more melodic.

And he only played a few techno tracks that felt a bit out of place throughout the set. I would have preferred if he had played the techy tracks in only one section of his set. He did exactly that when he played Circus, back in February 2011.

It was still a very good set (if you enjoy prog).

For those of you interested, here are a couple of tracks I spotted in his set:

- Circulation - Turquoise (Guy J remix)
- Kieran J - Symbiosis (Santiago Garcia remix)
- Slam - Eterna (John Digweed & Nick Muir remix)
- Guy J - Fixation
- Santiago Garcia - Frayed
- JD.NM.GJ - Trezz (Original mix)
- Psycatron & Detroit Grand Pubahs - NVRSAYNVR (Original mix)
- Guy J - Lost & Found
- Quivver - Here's This (Alexander Kowalski remix)
- Hernan Cattaneo & Soundexile - Teleport (Niko Fantin remix)

Old Post Jun-15-2012 03:17  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Maxrain Click here to Send Maxrain a Private Message Add Maxrain to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hardcore trancer
Mystic Mind

quote:
Originally posted by Maxrain
The only issue I had with his set was that the programming was sometimes a bit off, even though it was mostly a prog set. For instance, he would play a deep and dark track, but would follow it with another one that was funkier and more melodic.

Agree with this 100%. I thought I was the only one that felt that way. Not sure why he was doing that but I would say for the first 3-4 hour of his set he was going up and down until the last 2 hours which he went insane.

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DJMysticMind

Old Post Jun-15-2012 04:32 
Click Here to See the Profile for hardcore trancer Click here to Send hardcore trancer a Private Message Visit hardcore trancer's homepage! Add hardcore trancer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
hardcore trancer
Mystic Mind

He also played:

Cesar Lombardi - Everlasting - (Original Mix)

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/DJMysticMind

Old Post Jun-15-2012 04:34 
Click Here to See the Profile for hardcore trancer Click here to Send hardcore trancer a Private Message Visit hardcore trancer's homepage! Add hardcore trancer to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

Yea but it's good to change things up and throw a curve ball in there once in a while and not go in a single direction the whole time (IMO)

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Jun-15-2012 06:21  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click Here to Email Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Adam420 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
WittyHandle
Supreme tranceaddict

Imo it's all about whether you can pull it off or not, no matter what. I used to be more about the linear progression when I listened to more prog, but then Morales and Tenaglia smashed that and showed me how powerful drastic shifts can be. So in the end, if it works, it works. Again, imo.

Old Post Jun-15-2012 06:26  United States
Click Here to See the Profile for WittyHandle Click here to Send WittyHandle a Private Message Add WittyHandle to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

+1 and +1.. put some curves on the road or you may drive off it while falling asleep one of these days.

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Jun-15-2012 13:27  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Maxrain
Senior tranceaddict

quote:
Originally posted by Adam420
Yea but it's good to change things up and throw a curve ball in there once in a while and not go in a single direction the whole time (IMO)

I agree, but the curve ball needs to bring something to the set. And a set that consists of only prog tracks is certainly boring as hell.

I felt that the techy tracks he played brought new energy into the set and I just wished he had kept playing a few of them together instead of dropping one once in a while.

You could tell the crowd was really enjoying these tracks, but it was a letdown when he kept coming back to prog tracks. Thus, the energy level was inconsistent.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm a techno head and would have enjoyed his set more had he played more techno tracks. But I also prefer when they are played consecutively in a prog set so that they create a new vibe, with more energy. Programming is key in those situations.

As I have mentioned, it was still a very good set. Individually, all the tracks were awesome.

It is just me being demanding and asking for near perfection (which I shouldn't do)!

Old Post Jun-15-2012 17:29  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Maxrain Click here to Send Maxrain a Private Message Add Maxrain to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Adam420
Trance Free Since 2003

Nah when you put it that way I do more or less agree with you. It's a tease is what it is. And for someone hoping to hear more of that stuff I can see how it can be a bit annoying.

quote:
Originally posted by SYSTEM-J
Levels is...decent...damn better than a lot of the shite dominating the charts at the moment. It sounds absolutely nothing like...a billion and one similar tracks in this big-room style. I always had a soft spot.

Old Post Jun-15-2012 17:36  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Adam420 Click Here to Email Adam420 Click here to Send Adam420 a Private Message Add Adam420 to your buddy list Adam420 is online now Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
Spin Laden
Nick Vachon approved

it's subjective.. I personally thought Hernan played the right amount of tech in his set, and programmed it quite efficiently as well.. mind you I'm pretty saturated with tech at the moment anyways.

But Maxrain's reviews echo the latest ones with Hawtin, Cox and Sasha for me.

Once I took a piss in front of everybody at Stereo. Put the garbage under the mixer, and did it right there while people were dancing and screaming. people thought I was playing with the mixer but I was playing with my zizi.

quote:
Originally posted by Enjoy
a classic from the aria days:
me: are you on TA?
girl: uhhhh... im on speed

Old Post Jun-15-2012 18:04  Canada
Click Here to See the Profile for Spin Laden Click here to Send Spin Laden a Private Message Add Spin Laden to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jad
_.spark._

That was one hell of a set. To be honest, I could have done without the first few hours. My friend and I were actually thinking of heading out around 6/7 when he started playing some harder techno bombs. I do love my techno, but didn't have the energy to dance to that sort of music at the time. Out of no where, he completely switched it up and started playing some lovely uplifting melodic prog which got me off of the couches and had me dancing til the very end of his set.

Looking back at his set now, the first few hours of decent mixing and programming actually got me to appreciate the epic mixing towards the second half of his set. Considering how packed it was in the beginning, I'm actually glad he made sure that there was enough space on the dancefloor by saving those tunes for the end of his set. Straight up, a good 2-3 hours of the latter part of his set was some of the best mixing I've heard in a long time.

This was the first time I get to hear him live. I'll definitely be making the trek from Toronto again if he passes by Circus at a suitable time.

I didn't get to hear the opener, but I did get to catch a good hour of Richie G's set. I must say, this guy's got some serious skill for his age. Great track selection and programming to close off the night. Hope to catch more of sets of his in the future.

As for the club.. this is the second time I get to hear that beast of a sound system. Oh my, does it deliver. Keep up the wicked bookings Circus! Looking forward to my next visit there.

Old Post Jun-18-2012 04:50  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for jad Click here to Send jad a Private Message Visit jad's homepage! Add jad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message
jad
_.spark._

quote:
Originally posted by Romchik22

Amazing! Sounds like Max Cooper.

quote:
Originally posted by hardcore trancer

It was good to see you man.

Old Post Jun-18-2012 05:04  Palestine
Click Here to See the Profile for jad Click here to Send jad a Private Message Visit jad's homepage! Add jad to your buddy list Report this Post Reply w/Quote Edit/Delete Message

tranceaddict Forums > Local Scene Info / Discussion / EDM Event Listings > Canada > Canada - Montreal > Roll Call : Hernan Cattaneo @ Circus
Post New Thread    Post A Reply

Pages (7): « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  
Last Thread   Next Thread
Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread